shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence in a Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valdo650

Rough_Rock
What is Fluorenscence in a Diamond. I was looking at some diamonds and I saw diamonds I liked, but they had a faint fluorescence. What is fluorescence and how can it affect the look of a diamond? Is it best to just get a diamond with no fluorescence or can it be beneficial to have a diamond with fluorescence? I am going to live in an area that gets a bunch of sun (Arizona), could this affect the type of fluorescence I should get?

Thanks for the help

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Fluorescence in the "faint" range really won't affect your stone much. As you'll see if you do a search on the forum, people who buy stones with a color of "G" or lower sometimes prefer fluorescence because it can make a stone appear less yellow (assuming the fluorescence is blue, which it almost always is (the cert will say if it's something else)). The only thing people seem to warn about is stones in the D-F range with medium to strong fluorescence, as the stones may appear too blue or look oily (although some people say you don't really have to worry about this). As far as I know, fluorescence is a preference; some people like it, others don't. I personally think it's rather odd to have a diamond that glows in black light, but other people think it's really neat
1.gif
Hope this helps!

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
At the top of the Pricescope website, click "tutorial." There is a wealth of great information there--I'd recommend reading all of it, not just the part about flourescence.

As long as the flourescence is medium or below, don't worry about it. It can actually help a low color grade (H-I-J-K) stone face up whiter, and it won't have a negative effect on higher color grade stones, except maybe D if you're picky.

If the flourescence is strong, ask your vendor how it looks. I've read here that it can either look fine or look oily.

Good luck!

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Valdo
Fluorescence is the emission of visible light by some diamonds when stimulated by higher energy x rays, ultraviolet radiation or other forms of radiation. The famous Blue white diamonds from the Jagersfontein mine are considered to be D color diamonds with very strong blue fluorescence possibly caused by the inclusion of boron. The image shows a parcel of rough diamonds stimulated by long wave ultraviolet at a wavelength of 366nm. Note the variety of fluorescing colors.

Johan
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd.

Fluor-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results