shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence: Faint Yellow

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bouba

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I have been reading tons and tons of posts and i think am ready to ask some questions now :razz:

I have found a diamond but the fluorescence is faint yellow. Did a search on faint yellow and could not get a lot on information.
The specs is G S1 I.

Thanks very much for responses in advance,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 10:14:04 AM
Author:Bouba
Hello All,

I have been reading tons and tons of posts and i think am ready to ask some questions now :razz:

I have found a diamond but the fluorescence is faint yellow. Did a search on faint yellow and could not get a lot on information.
The specs is G S1 I.

Thanks very much for responses in advance,
Hi Bouba and welcome!

Personally I would avoid yellow fluorescence especially if an upgrade policy isn''t included with the stone, should you ever want to resell the diamond then having yellow fluorescence is going to make an already difficult undertaking nearly impossible from what I understand. Do you have a link to the diamond or more info on it?

xstormcloud7x

Rough_Rock
fluorescent yellow will decrease the color of your diamond a bit in the sun or some types of fluorescent lighting. while blue usually increases the "look" of being colorless, yellow does quite the opposite sometimes.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto lorelei.

Visible? Unlikely unless you are in a dark room with only black light. You will not see anything in the sun with a faint fluor.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Personally, I''m not a fan of yellow fluorescence in colorless and near colorless diamonds... Blue fluorescence, no problem, but yellow can affect the body color of the gem and make it appear more yellow than it really is. That said, the fact that it is faint fluorescence means that it is going to be very slight and less likely to be an issue, but still, not a fan.

spicytuna

Rough_Rock
My wedding band has small 1pt pave diamonds that have yellow and blue fluorescence. It''s really neat to see it under a UV light. My E-ring has strong blue fluorescence and I love the violet it takes on in the sun. I have read that yellow fluorescence should be avoided also. I don''t mind it in my small pave stones, but IMO, I would avoid it in the main stone.

Bouba

Rough_Rock
i am not planning to resell it in the future. I guess my question is will it be visible?

I did not want to mention but its from Tiffany. It is also a 1.5 and it fits the budget.

Any input

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 12:54:35 PM
Author: Bouba
i am not planning to resell it in the future. I guess my question is will it be visible?

I did not want to mention but its from Tiffany. It is also a 1.5 and it fits the budget.

Any input
It could be but we are only speculating, does the vendor have access to the diamond to advise you? If not then should you buy it, make absolutely sure ( and get it in writing) that you can return the diamond for any reason and agree a suitable amount of time, to give you the chance to thoroughly inspect the stone and get an independant appraisal.

It might be better to just continue looking and find another diamond?

Bouba

Rough_Rock
The vendor has it in store and i compared it with an F. I was having a very hard time to tell the difference between the F an G. However, the store lightings was excellent.

I did not want to mention but the store is tiffany.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bouba,
I have seen a lot of gorgeous diamonds with yellow fl- however ususally they were fancy colored.
In my experience GIA uses the term "Faint" without a color qualifier.
The term "Faint Yellow" does not sound like it came from a GIA report.
Who called the stone "Faint Yellow"?

In general, Faint fluorescence is not an issue to either the look, or value of a diamond.

ETA- we were posting at the same time- If you're buying at Tiffany's the resale value will be based on the blue box, far more than faint fl.....
Given that you are looking in person, trust your eyes.
If there was any issue, you would notice it in store lighting, as well as direct sunlight

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 1:20:07 PM
The vendor has it in store and i compared it with an F. I was having a very hard time to tell the difference between the F an G. However, the store lightings was excellent.

I did not want to mention but the store is tiffany.
Thats surprising to me, I wouldn''t have thought Tiffany would sell diamonds with yellow fluorescence but I suppose they find it acceptable.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 1:21:11 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Bouba,
I have seen a lot of gorgeous diamonds with yellow fl- however ususally they were fancy colored.
In my experience GIA uses the term ''Faint'' without a color qualifier.
The term ''Faint Yellow'' does not sound like it came from a GIA report.
Who called the stone ''Faint Yellow''?

In general, Faint fluorescence is not an issue to either the look, or value of a diamond.

ETA- we were posting at the same time- If you''re buying at Tiffany''s the resale value will be based on the blue box, far more than faint fl.....
If there was any issue, you would notice it in store lighting, as well as direct sunlight
RD
why would anybody want "faint yellow" in a near colorless stone?
14.gif

Bouba

Rough_Rock
Precision of cut: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Enhancement: None
Girdle thickness: Medium
Culet: None

Total depth %: 61.6%
Crown angle: 35.1%
Pavillon angle: 41%

I am about to pull the trigger on this one. What are your thoughts? I am also thinking to get it indepently appraised by another lab (GIA)?

Any else, i should ask tiffany

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slightly on the edge by the numbers. What is the lower half numbers?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 1:51:48 PM
Precision of cut: Excellent
Girdle thickness: Medium
Culet: None

Total depth %: 61.6%
Crown angle: 35.1%
Pavillon angle: 41%

I am about to pull the trigger on this one. What are your thoughts? I am also thinking to get it indepently appraised by another lab (GIA)?

Any else, i should ask tiffany
It might be ok but the angles are borderline ' steep deep' which means there is a possibility of light leakage. One thing that might help is the length of the lower girdle facets, this will be given as a percentage on the diamond's report such as 75% or 80% usually or in that region. If these are around 80% or more then it is possible this can help to neutralize leakage but its no guarantee. Compare it carefully with other diamonds in dimmer lighting conditions if possible and look for a dark ring around the table or dark areas on the surface of the diamond, if you the stone is lighting up well all over and you like it best compared to others then thats fine.

Tiffany grade their own diamonds and apparently their methods are well respected, you could have it sent to GIA if you wish but the stone would need to be unmounted if it is set in order to have it properly graded. An independant appraiser might be able to look at it for you and appraise as mounting permits.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bouba
i don't understand...why pay the high Tiffany price for a "faint yellow" G color stone?
33.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/31/2010 1:40:34 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 3/31/2010 1:21:11 PM

Author: Rockdiamond

Bouba,

In my experience GIA uses the term ''Faint'' without a color qualifier.

The term ''Faint Yellow'' does not sound like it came from a GIA report.

Who called the stone ''Faint Yellow''?

ETA- we were posting at the same time- If you''re buying at Tiffany''s the resale value will be based on the blue box, far more than faint fl.....

RD

why would anybody want ''faint yellow'' in a near colorless stone?
14.gif

DF- I don''t have a lot of experience with Tiffany grading, but I have seen thousands of diamonds GIA gave "faint" to.
I can''t recall a single instance where the fluorescence was visible unless the diamond was in the dark, and hit by a UV lamp.
Furthermore, in trading many thousands of diamonds with "faint" I have found incredibly few cases where that aspect impacted the price.
Indeed, Tiffany ( If I recall correctly) won''t carry medium or stong fl stones- the fact they are showing a faint means something to this conversation as well.

Bouba

Rough_Rock
Here you go

CUT PROPORTIONS

TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.6% PAVILION ANGLE 41.0°

TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57% LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 80%

CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.5% GIRDLE THICKNESS MEDIUM

CROWN ANGLE 35.1° GIRDLE FINISH FACETED

STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 55% CULET NONE

PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.3%

Bouba

Rough_Rock
I know she always wanted a Tiffany. I just want her to feel happy and i know she would take a Tiffany over a non branded one if the branded one is around 1.4 and non branded one is 2 carat.

I would take the bigger diamond but at the end of the day, she is the one who will wear it everyday. Just want her to be HAPPY.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Happy Wife= Happy life

Bouba, you are showing amazing judgement already!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers look good then. Good luck.

Bouba

Rough_Rock
For 3800, i can get 1.55 F, SI1, No Fluores,

Precision: Excellent

Total Depth %: 61.7%
Table Size %: 56%
Crown Height %: 15.4%
Crown angle: 34.8%
Star lenght %: 55%
Pavillon Angle: 40.8%
Lower half lenght %: 78%
Girdle: Medium to Slick Thick
Girdle: Faceted
''

This will be $3,800 MORE than the first one. Is it worth it?

Bouba

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies.

I know i will get it from Tiffany but not sure which piece to get. Although i have been looking at Cartier too, she lilkes the Tiffany one better.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it shouldn''t be visible. if I were in charge of tiffany, i''d just say "faint" instead of "faint yellow," like GIA does.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Both are promising by the numbers, faint yellow is not noticeable in daily lighting conditions, maybe in a disco it will glow faintly yellow, you will not be able to tell the difference between F/G once they are mounted unless they are side by side. Up to you to decide what is more important.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2010 3:08:59 PM
For 3800, i can get 1.55 F, SI1, No Fluores,

Precision: Excellent

Total Depth %: 61.7%
Table Size %: 56%
Crown Height %: 15.4%
Crown angle: 34.8%
Star lenght %: 55%
Pavillon Angle: 40.8%
Lower half lenght %: 78%
Girdle: Medium to Slick Thick
Girdle: Faceted
''

This will be $3,800 MORE than the first one. Is it worth it?
This one looks promising, check carefully it is eyeclean.

Bouba

Rough_Rock
Yes, i could not see the difference between F and G. However, i can tell the difference between F/G and H/I.

So, would you pay 3,800 MORE?

I think i can tell color difference now but cannot tell for inclusions. So, both the 1.50 and the 1.55, both SI 1, i can not tell if there are visible inclusions. Any opinions.....

Please let me know asap.....need to propose in few days : )

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
probably both SI1 are eye-clean, which is relatively common.

would I pay 3800 more for 0.05c, diameter increase is probably not detectable to the naked eye, 1 color grade better and no yellow fluor, probably not. But I am also not someone that will buy from Tiffany. So really depends on you and what is more important to you.

Bouba

Rough_Rock
Yes, i cannot see a difference between these 2. The only thing i was worried was the yellow faint fluorescence.

Any other opinions.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bouba - I don''t know how you would do this BUT store lighting is designed to make diamonds look their best. The acid test for any diamond is how it looks in natural lighting (outside), normal incandescent lighting, an indoor room with no lighting so bright but no sunlight etc etc. In some lights, the yellow fluor may make the diamond look slightly warmer (especially when viewed from the side).

Do Tiffany''s have a return policy so that if you buy and then find the diamond looks awful in X lighting it can be exchanged? If you have any doubts whatsoever, I would insist that the sale includes a clause that you can return it for refund or exchange within (say) one week if you''re not happy with the effect of the fluorescence (no questions asked).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results