shape
carat
color
clarity

Flower-like petal settings for a 2.2 L RB

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello PS! I’m trying to decide between petal-like settings for a 2.2 L RB.

Does anyone know of any designs similar to this where the head looks like a realistic flower? I’ve googled but don’t really like most of the stylized options. My jeweller will be making the setting so I just need ideas for the head since I’m switching out the head on my current twig ring to fit the new stone. The whole ring is in rose gold although I’ve considered a white gold head, but probably not.

I’ve loved CvB’s Dahlia setting, but I’m thinking a 4-prong petal or a 6-prong petal setting, just finding it really hard to imagine a 6-prong petal setting.

Kristin Coffin’s work: 10B62E97-B155-4415-BB94-E7EF35E40E45.jpeg
I love the petals (my current ring has similar 4-prong petals) but how can I make it more delicate-looking (the part in the middle where the petals touch each other) while keeping the petal texture? Also how would this translate to 6 prongs? The head has to look more “rough”/“organic/realistic” as it has to fit the style of my current ring which is twig-like.

I’m thinking something like CvB’s Jovyn setting (just to show the position and height of the 6 prong-sections),
D023AB18-43EC-4DA1-8A7F-F9AABC9C4189.jpeg
but each prong is far more curved like a petal, and has the petal texture on the outside, but delicate-looking claw prongs (not actually delicate but only look sharp from top view). But this is just super hard to imagine for me.

Would love to know what you guys think :) 4-prong or 6-prong? I’m leaning towards 4-prong because I feel like it suits the twig ring better, but I love the look of 6 claw prongs from face up.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking for something similar and collected a bunch of inspiration photos, if it's any help here they are:

upload_2017-12-29_10-23-42.png
9f4354efa53d70ca30c8321dcc563dc8.jpg floral1-300x300.jpg IMG_2297__57353.1457989224.1280.1280.jpg
r4048b-platinum-ring-diamond-fancy-color.jpg
upload_2017-12-29_10-27-32.png

Attachments

• erika-winters-fine-jewelry-6-prong-grace-solitaire-profile.jpg
    erika-winters-fine-jewelry-6-prong-grace-solitaire-profile.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 31

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing these @bludiva! That twig one with the twigs holding the diamond is very interesting. i like the second one the most and the last one is really helping me envision the petals on a 6-prong design!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What an interesting concept for a basket.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures, I'm just here to gather ideas for my next "secret" project. :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are few more.

Steven Kirsch Fleur
ring-fleur-platinum-diamonds-flower-solitaire-steven-kirsch-1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

mes767q_b.jpg

00127d0850c1985c134ac6f257ba7483--lotus-engagement-ring-solitaire-engagement-rings.jpg

9e1898dcf95e95a77a11cd4599b007f2.jpg

il_340x270.1159336896_ijqn.jpg

859e539ee20c038a4fdaa4c2f5c8cbaa--dimond-ring-solitaire-rings.jpg

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What an interesting concept for a basket.

Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures, I'm just here to gather ideas for my next "secret" project. :)

Haha! I love metal that looks rough/organic/like a real twig or flower :) I’m inspired to do an extremely realistic flower-like basket now!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing these @bludiva! That twig one with the twigs holding the diamond is very interesting. i like the second one the most and the last one is really helping me envision the petals on a 6-prong design!

Of course! The one with the twigs is super creative, doesn't look so secure though! I went with six prongs also and I think it would work well for the size of your stone. :appl:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooohhh, that Steven Kirsch Fleur! Drool! Love the rose gold accents!

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Omg you guys LOOK AT THIS octagon halo by Lauren B. :shock:
i can’t breathe while looking at it haha just wow dream setting?!

Do you think it would look odd if I had an octagon halo attached to the top of a plain rose gold twig band? I feel like it would probably look very weird and I should just stick with the pave band, especially since my wedding band to be worn together is very plain (scattering of 5 1mm diamonds that pretty much can’t be seen except very close up).

Here’s an example of a halo ring on a plain band. I’m not sure if it really goes together for me? What do you think?
63B516DC-7973-4162-BA8B-1B8D2FE7E234.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love a blinged out halo with a plain shank, especially when paired with a diamond band like that set. Something about the plain shank makes the diamonds pop even more imo.
In your example tho, the halo and centre stone look like they’re a warmer colour than the diamond band so they’re clashing a bit. Maybe that’s what you’re not sure about?
Also re your question - if the halo is very angular and geometric, I think it would be difficult for it to look harmonious with a twig shank. It could just look like two bits soldered together which wouldn’t be good

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh I love a blinged out halo with a plain shank, especially when paired with a diamond band like that set. Something about the plain shank makes the diamonds pop even more imo.
In your example tho, the halo and centre stone look like they’re a warmer colour than the diamond band so they’re clashing a bit. Maybe that’s what you’re not sure about?
Also re your question - if the halo is very angular and geometric, I think it would be difficult for it to look harmonious with a twig shank. It could just look like two bits soldered together which wouldn’t be good

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this! I agree, it might look like two bits soldered together as it’s geometric :/ I will think about it more! I do like the halo/head being a different color from the band though.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always admired this A. Jaffe one.
ajaffe petal.jpg

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one also A. Jaffe literally has flowers on it. I've seen it in person; very unique.
ME1640.jpg

DanniiD

Rough_Rock
These prongs are kind of floral like
old_miners_Turned.jpg Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.03.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 4.30.33 PM.png

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow thanks everyone for all the ideas! Decided to forget the halo and will still be doing a petal solitaire, just not sure about 4 or 6 prongs. Will probably take these designs and discuss with my setter :)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Terrific ideas! Jadesilver, I know from another thread, you were debating 4 prongs vs 6 prongs. Would love to see what you finally decided on. Do come back with photos

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results