shape
carat
color
clarity

Flourescence in a D Color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plippens

Rough_Rock
Anybody have any comments on the pros and cons of Medium Blue Flourescence in a D color stone. I asked if the diamond had a blue tint in the sunlight and was told that it is only blue under a blacklight.

D is as white as you go, so it can''t face up any whiter, right?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
I have an E with medium blue fluorescence, and I thought maybe once it glowed a little lavender-blue in very strong direct sunlight, but it wasn't overwhelming. Can't wait till it's not cloudy and I can take it outside to play again
1.gif
1.gif

As for black lights, I work in a lab so I put a handheld UV lamp over it and nothing really happened with shortwave UV, but it glowed gorgeously blue under longwave. But I'm a self-professed nerd and I think fluorescence is a really cool phenomenon and very desirable in a diamond.

So to sum up, I think it's a matter of preference rather than an objectively good or bad quality. People will probably caution you about strong blue fluorescence, that it may make the diamond appear oily or milky but I think that this is actually quite rare among fluorescent diamonds.

Yes, D is as white as it gets. D,E,F are the colorless grades. See the tutorial if you want to learn more about color.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have an E colored diamond with medium blue flourescence. I actually like the "plugged-in" look that flourescence makes, and I have never noticed any negative effect. I recently compared my E with flourescence to a D without, and my E looked more crisp and slightly whiter face up. I saw no difference face down.

DiamondLil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Expect a super cold white, especially in strong sunlight, and a whiff more of blue in the light flash of this diamond. And yes, this would look "whiter" than D - it is possible.
2.gif

If anything can make D''s more spectacular, a bit of fluorescence can, IMO

plippens

Rough_Rock
Is that what people mean when they sayt the diamond looks "energizied"?

Thanks for everyones comments...This is a great forum.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2004 4:36:18 PM
Author: valeria101
Expect a super cold white, especially in strong sunlight, and a whiff more of blue in the light flash of this diamond. And yes, this would look 'whiter' than D - it is possible.
2.gif

If anything can make D's more spectacular, a bit of fluorescence can, IMO
I personally own a D (GIA) with medium blue fluorescence and I love it.

Ana's assessment is spot-on. Additionally, in direct spotlighting ("Wal-Mart" style)
3.gif
there are crisp hints of blue in the sparkle.

I got a blacklight for my home office just to see groovy fluoro-effects when the mood strikes.

stephinextremis

Rough_Rock
I don''t have a D, but I do have an E with medium blue fluorescence. Let me tell you, this thing goes BLUE-VIOLET in the sun. I also have a Y-Z color with medium to strong blue fluorescence (see my avatar) and THAT diamond tends to go champagne with blue flashes when it''s out in the sun. Both of these diamonds look normal in other lighting: the E faces up super-white and flashy, the Y-Z faces up a nice light yellow. Both light up robins-egg blue under UV. I think fluorescence adds a lot of character to my diamonds and I always try to purchase stones possessing this characteristic.

Fluorescence is not for everyone, I understand. If you are concerned about the effects of fluorescence, perhaps it''s best for you to see the diamond in person first. That way you can step outside and see if you like how the diamond performs in direct sunlight, as well as various indoor lighting setups.

Hope this helps,

Stephanie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results