shape
carat
color
clarity

Flat-cut garnets

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I'm not a CS expert but have been wanting a large flat-cut garnet ring for awhile now. Are there any cutters known for producing flat-cut garnets....specifically hexagonal shapes? In terms of size, I was hoping for something fairly finger-spanning, and I'd probably set it in a gold bezel.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Kristy

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Kristy! Do you mean flat cut on the top, like with a big wide table? Usually cut stones have a reflective underneath side so the light bounces back out. If they were flat on the underneath side it would be like looking through a colored window. Happy hunting!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flat cut as in a reverse Rose Cut? You’ll probably have to commission this from a custom lapidary. This type of cutting is basically a giant bay door for coloured stones.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like this? I’ve only seen flat-cut garnets in antique/vintage pieces.

E37F7291-60D4-4EDB-8D24-9F57C66F8266.png

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that's it, @JPie ! I've fallen in love with the flat-cut garnets in antique pieces. I can't stop thinking about this conversion ring from thing_finder on IG! This is my dream RHR.

59428116_1084386848437428_1695628624852568056_n.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the appeal.
Lovely inspiration ring!
I think any designer like CVB /DK that has a source for custom cutting halo stones like they do for onyx/turquoise can do this easily.
Problem for me would be wanting to approve the cut garnet before set. Easily done tho.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the recs, @Rfisher ! :kiss2: Good call to request an approval step for the cut garnet!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size-wise, this is the closest I’ve seen lately, though the one you posted is prettier: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0REJNGA6Ml/?igshid=7up8dqgegpom

Anyway, happy to let you know if I see anything else pop up!

The more eyes on the lookout, the better. Thanks, @JPie ! That is a pretty garnet, thought being the size ho that I am, I will need larger :twisted2:. As much as I'd love to have an antique ring (or conversion opportunity), I think it will be easiest for me to have this custom-made, when the time comes. I'm on a spending moratorium right now but might start asking around later this year for quotes. :D

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The more eyes on the lookout, the better. Thanks, @JPie ! That is a pretty garnet, thought being the size ho that I am, I will need larger :twisted2:. As much as I'd love to have an antique ring (or conversion opportunity), I think it will be easiest for me to have this custom-made, when the time comes. I'm on a spending moratorium right now but might start asking around later this year for quotes. :D

I would ask Diana of SinCityFinds if she can hunt something down for you that can be converted. She is usually willing to take a customer request.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask Diana of SinCityFinds if she can hunt something down for you that can be converted. She is usually willing to take a customer request.
Did not know that! Thanks! I follow this seller and am always impressed by her amazing finds.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a little about being a size ho. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results