shape
carat
color
clarity

First timer needs help with finding the right ring

mark_t

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm planning on popping the question to my gf but first I want to find her the perfect ring. Until a month ago I knew nothing about diamonds and rings. But I have been snooping around PS and thanks to all the awesome threads I now have a pretty good idea of what we want and how much to spend. The question now is where and how to get it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

For the center stone, I'm looking for a 1.6 carat round, GIA cert, excellent cut, G color, VS2. Preferably GIA 3x and no fluorescence but not absolutely necessary. Budget is around $16k. I live in Los Angeles/Orange County and have been to a few B&M shops, but the selections are always limited so now I'm leaning toward finding the diamond online (plus I can save >$1k in tax if I bought online!) Is that a good way to go? I've read a lot of good reviews on online retailers like JA, ERD, BN, and GOG, but I can't differentiate the stones based on their descriptions and GIA certs alone. Can anyone help me narrow down the selections?

As for the setting, my gf loves this one:
face-up_0.jpg
profile_1.jpg
The only change would be to change the halo to fit a round center stone and adding pave to the sides of the gallery. The original costs $8000-$12000! And since I can't find a replica anywhere that even remotely resembles this, I'm leaning toward the custom route. Going to ask for a quote from Steven Kirsch, Leon Mege, and Victor Canera. Hopefully we can do it within my budget of $3k-4k. I know many have worked with these designers, does anyone prefer one over the other, or can suggest any other great designers, preferably in Los Angels/Orange County?

Thanks for reading through my long post. And thanks in advance for your help!

mark_t

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I didn't make it very clear. $16k is the budget for the diamond only, but there's wiggle room. My budget for the whole ring is around $20k. All pre-tax.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the bottom reminds me of ritani
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/halo-micropave-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/4955

I wouldnt put diamonds along the side, that are hard to maintain, also can scratch up the WB

this one is beautiful and I think has a lot of what youre looking for. EDR makes great rings, dont be fooled by the CAD photos, search for them on here, they are making beautiful things

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/tina-cathedral-double-row-micro-pave-halo-engagement-ring-bpid-210-15.html

stci

Ideal_Rock
I think to have exactly the same setting in round you will have to take the custom route. Just my 2 cents.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mark_t|1352163114|3299486 said:
Sorry, I didn't make it very clear. $16k is the budget for the diamond only, but there's wiggle room. My budget for the whole ring is around $20k. All pre-tax.

There are 2 diamonds listed online (JA and GOG) at 1.6 ct G VS2 and both are $19K to $21K, so your $16K budget is too low for your requirements. Even at 1.5 ct G VS2 is going to cost $18K. There is a fairly large price jump at the 1.5 carat mark but if you stay just shy of that, you can something well within budget.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something like this you really want to see some pictures. Of the actual stone. I would say stick with Whiteflash, Brian Gavin diamonds, or James Allen. They have good pictures of their h and a rounds.

I hope sense you're looking at ERD that means you're considering that setting I posted. I think that would be beautiful, and I'm sure they would probably set that round still in that cushion halo shape so I think that wouldn't look just about exactly like the inspiration. A lot of people will get there stone and setting from different places.

Also I know you wanted g but this one has some flour with it so its something to consider.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.528-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104061006019

id just ask them about the feather. hard to see on the cert though

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
I'd second the brian Gavin blue - its a great price too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results