shape
carat
color
clarity

First post ever, seeking advice on 4 OECs

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
This past week I’ve tried to absorb several years worth of information on these beautiful gems and am overwhelmed and worried I will make a bad decision even after all the research I’ve done (plenty of which I don’t fully comprehend). I’ve read on PS that ultimately how you feel about the oec in person is all that matters, however, I don’t have the luxury to go to NY although I may be able to make it to LA.

Some background: I had decided I wanted an antique/vintage engagement ring simply for the value I believe it would keep and maybe even appreciate over a long time. After searching and searching, I realized i didn’t love the antique/vintage stylings of these rings, aside from the classic solitaire. What I did discover and am now obsessed with are these oec stunners! The following stone from LAD is what solidified my love:

My DF encouraged me to try for closer to 3cts so I have found the following 2 listings:

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/291-old-european-cut-diamond

https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/3-06ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-m-vs2

I have reached out to JBG for more pictures and videos in different lightings but have not received a reply in 24 hrs.

Adam OWD also selected this one based on the LAD oec that I originally fell in love with: GIA 2.92 L VVS2 G/F 8.82 - 8.86 x 5.6 mm 47%/65.6% med - v thick girdle large culet

D456F322-078B-420E-933F-94484DAF33EE.jpeg B3949B09-A180-4361-9D48-1F869CB49E5B.jpeg 60B56921-2E43-4D72-AF24-9001EF5D9D27.jpeg 97715B7F-59BB-4D6F-9517-A29B614D6183.jpeg FB0234AA-7E81-40AF-86B9-BE1E9F8E4149.jpeg 8298710A-98D1-4363-9A9B-8738035D02EC.jpeg

I’d appreciate any advice on the pros and cons of each of these and which is preferable from the PS community! TY!

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Of those three first impressions I like the 2.91ct. A video of the OWD stone would be helpful as would the others from JbEG. Please post when they arrive.

It is dangerous to think/hope/bank on that your diamond will appreciate. Unless your stone is super rare, secondary market prices are typically much less than what you would have paid. Only pay what you are happy to pay and don’t expect to profit from it.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My experience was that I had to see the OEC diamonds in person because each one has a personality.
The first OEC Grace sent me was amazing, so well cut, beautiful, but I sent it back because it did not speak to me. (And someone else snapped it up immediately!)
The second OEC she sent me made me swoon...love at first sight. A bit wonky and moody, full of personality... it was so perfect for me that I named it JOY.
So, hope this helps.
I think the opinions of others can help narrow down your choices, but no one will view the diamond with YOUR eyes, and OECs must be seen in person, IMHO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree with @Jimmianne. Seeing them in person is a must IMO. And you can see them in person without traveling. You can have the OECs sent to you to evaluate in person.

See which one makes your heart go a flutter and see them in different environments because old cuts behave differently in different environments.

ETA:
: I had decided I wanted an antique/vintage engagement ring simply for the value I believe it would keep and maybe even appreciate over a long time.

I wouldn't count on this. Diamonds are not a good investment for the casual customer. If one is in the diamond business maybe but not if one is just an admirer and wearer. Diamonds are not a good investment generally for "regular" people. Not in the trade. Buy what you love and will wear and enjoy and that is all you can count on IMO.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JbG does have videos posted of those stones you linked. Make sure you are asking for a bit farther away than what she has, and maybe even a hand shot.
The stone I got in to view from her only looked that way as it did in her video thru a loupe or super close up. Did not have same visual pattern as 12-16” from eye or at arms length.
If you are picky in any way for color, wonky ness, facet pattern, anything - best to build in some shipping fees to your total budget to bring these stones in to view. Consider it fun and entertainment. It can be! =)

ETA- better resale value.
We can tell ourselves this but we need to be realistic. I think this would only hold true for a super pristine, high lab cert, ideal cut, true antique larger weight stone. Still- there’s no written guaranty buy back/upgrade policy with these vendors. It’s case by case. And that case strongly depends on the current market and whether that vendor has a buyer in mind. Or you can hope to find a buyer willing to pay you in private sale what you think it’s worth.
Some say you got to have a lot of ‘PS cred’ to do this! :lol-2:

Last edited:

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
Of those three first impressions I like the 2.91ct. A video of the OWD stone would be helpful as would the others from JbEG. Please post when they arrive.

It is dangerous to think/hope/bank on that your diamond will appreciate. Unless your stone is super rare, secondary market prices are typically much less than what you would have paid. Only pay what you are happy to pay and don’t expect to profit from it.

Here are a couple videos for Adam's OEC in office lighting and sunlight/shade:

Rfisher mentioned JBG does have videos of the two oecs I linked, albeit, kinda blurry incredibly close up videos.

I figured it could be a perk if the oec could hold its value, but certainly not a determining factor in my decision. I think these babies are so beautiful and unique, granted I've yet to see one in person :P2.

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
JbG does have videos posted of those stones you linked. Make sure you are asking for a bit farther away than what she has, and maybe even a hand shot.
The stone I got in to view from her only looked that way as it did in her video thru a loupe or super close up. Did not have same visual pattern as 12-16” from eye or at arms length.
If you are picky in any way for color, wonky ness, facet pattern, anything - best to build in some shipping fees to your total budget to bring these stones in to view. Consider it fun and entertainment. It can be! =)

ETA- better resale value.
We can tell ourselves this but we need to be realistic. I think this would only hold true for a super pristine, high lab cert, ideal cut, true antique larger weight stone. Still- there’s no written guaranty buy back/upgrade policy with these vendors. It’s case by case. And that case strongly depends on the current market and whether that vendor has a buyer in mind. Or you can hope to find a buyer willing to pay you in private sale what you think it’s worth.
Some say you got to have a lot of ‘PS cred’ to do this! :lol-2:

Now I remember seeing those JBG videos...but I think I blocked it from my memory since they seem to be blurry, low quality videos that didn't help me much. :???:

I will definitely have to remember to ask for further away pictures/hand shots since so I can tell what it'll look like IRL right! I'm still trying to train my eyes to look at these oecs; my first impression is I love all the wonky, blocky, prismatic faceting...I'm worried i'll be distracted by its beauty and miss some critical imperfection like darkness at certain angles/corners etc.

I want this oec to be my forever stone unless I'm fortunate to upgrade :mrgreen2: so future value/resale is not important!

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
My experience was that I had to see the OEC diamonds in person because each one has a personality.
The first OEC Grace sent me was amazing, so well cut, beautiful, but I sent it back because it did not speak to me. (And someone else snapped it up immediately!)
The second OEC she sent me made me swoon...love at first sight. A bit wonky and moody, full of personality... it was so perfect for me that I named it JOY.
So, hope this helps.
I think the opinions of others can help narrow down your choices, but no one will view the diamond with YOUR eyes, and OECs must be seen in person, IMHO.

I LOVE the idea of naming your oec and JOY just sounds perfect! I was thinking the same, reading other people's opinions and experiences will certainly help, esp since no one I know has even heard of OECs! :lol-2:

shesastunnah

Rough_Rock
I completely agree with @Jimmianne. Seeing them in person is a must IMO. And you can see them in person without traveling. You can have the OECs sent to you to evaluate in person.

See which one makes your heart go a flutter and see them in different environments because old cuts behave differently in different environments.

ETA:

I wouldn't count on this. Diamonds are not a good investment for the casual customer. If one is in the diamond business maybe but not if one is just an admirer and wearer. Diamonds are not a good investment generally for "regular" people. Not in the trade. Buy what you love and will wear and enjoy and that is all you can count on IMO.

I agree, it seems the consensus is to keep it simple, find an oec you love, see it in person! :kiss2:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 2.91 from JBG bc it seems to have slightly longer lower halves which breaks t he pavilion mains in a way that should make the central area of the diamond a little more lively and creates that "petal" effect everyone looks for in classic OECs. The OWD would be my second choice.

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
If you’ve got 40k on hand call both the owd and 2.91 in together as compare them side by side, you’ll know which one speaks the loudest!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the OWD diamond the best because it has very broad facets, which make it flash “bigger” chunks of colored light.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
The 2.91 speaks to me more- the facet pattern of the lower half pavilions gives a nice floral pattern and kizobe works. To me, there is more symmetry about that stone than the others.

the 3.06 from grace, LAD and OWD seem to have an extra skinny facet or 2 which throws off the flowery pattern that I do like in an oec.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results