shape
carat
color
clarity

First post & a lucky (but difficult) choice to make!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody!

I’ve been lurking on this forum for a few months, but finally decided it was time to join … thanks to everybody for great posts and advice!

My BF and I have been together for 3 years & we''re both 33. We''ve only just bought a house and are living together for the first time. I''m very lucky to have met somebody so easygoing (as I wish I was!). My BF is a huge procrastinator with anything he''s a little uncomfortable with, or doesn''t quite get. For example, he could re-frame doors and install baseboard for a whole house in an afternoon, but it could take him months to pick out a paint colour. Yes, we are in the middle of renovations.

I''ve been dropping the "are we ever going to get engaged" hint for a while now as I''m not getting any younger & we hope kids are in our future. But, he''s a procrastinator - no action (for over a year). Two weeks ago I very nervously showed him some pictures of ring styles I like (just to see how he would react) and to my relief, he''s basic response was "this is very helpful!".

We''ve since been to 1 store together, and picked out a setting & stone size that fits his budget & our tastes. I''m SO excited :) The thing is, we live in a smaller town and our options are either big box store, or a small custom jeweler. The ring we looked at was in a different (bigger) city while visiting family.

I want to go the small custom jeweller route and have narrowed the search down to 2. I think either place could help me find the perfect stone & design a ring I love. But I do not know which one to chose. I don''t have any family in town and it isn''t something I feel comfortable talking to friends about. I can''t find any online reviews of either business! Both designers seemed very knowledgeable. One wants to source a stone first (bring some in for me to see), and the other (very artistic personality) drew up 2 designs (on the spot) before even discussing stones! Very different approaches, both good.

They both have said they can design a ring & find a stone of similar size/cut/clarity etc... for the same price as the original one we found.

This may be a strange way to purchase a ring, but I feel very fortunate my BF is open to the idea of a custom ring. All my friends husbands proposed with something they got at a mall. He''ll jump back in the process once I''ve decided on the jeweller & design I want. Then I guess I''m out of the process.

I want a simple (low set) solitaire princess bezel and have a few modern designs in mind. Any pictures for me out there? I''m going to post one I found elsewhere on pricescope.

Anyway, thanks for listening - I know this isn''t a real problem, but its just nice to have other women to talk to! Most of my friends are married with kids and they really don''t want to talk about rings etc.

diagonal24.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome, ChocolateLover! What an exciting time for you!
35.gif

Here is a link to a thread in SMTR with tons of bezels, unfortunately, there are very few bezeled princess cuts that I can recall on PS, but there are a couple on the first few pages, and I'm sure you can visualize given what's in the Bezel thread . . . https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/

I absolutely love the setting you've posted, and can see a ton of potential going that route. Do you prefer the diamond to be set on point, or in the traditional NS manner. If you'd like to starset it, make sure you find a princess cut as completely square as possible.

Have you looked into working with any of the Pricescope recommended vendors?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are a few.

.59 I VS2 - angeellica

Angelica.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a princess, but Neatfreak''s cushion has sparked the profiles of many rings around here!

IMG_21345490.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Olyelr

ringkk.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet''s fabulous orange zircon.

52495085_42532cff49_o.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 5:55:12 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Welcome, ChocolateLover! What an exciting time for you!
35.gif

Here is a link to a thread in SMTR with tons of bezels, unfortunately, there are very few bezeled princess cuts that I can recall on PS, but there are a couple on the first few pages, and I''m sure you can visualize given what''s in the Bezel thread . . . https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-bezel-rings.121897/

I absolutely love the setting you''ve posted, and can see a ton of potential going that route. Do you prefer the diamond to be set on point, or in the traditional NS manner. If you''d like to starset it, make sure you find a princess cut as completely square as possible.

Have you looked into working with any of the Pricescope recommended vendors?
I''m going to ditto that suggestion before you commit to one of your smaller custom jewelers. Many of the PS vendors are thrilled to do custom work, and many of the ladies and gents on here have used them with great success. It couldn''t hurt to contact them to find out if they''re capable of doing what you want (which I''m sure they are) and what they can do for you in your price range!

PS: Welcome!!!
35.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missrachelk

100_0049%20closeup.jpg

Engagement%20038%2012334.jpg

100_0139%20-both.jpg

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pictures and suggestions! I have considered going through a vendor here, but would really prefer (as would my BF) to avoid making such a large purchase online. I also like to support local small business (especially for the design side) - although I haven't ruled out finding a diamond through PS.

I am very excited, this is a fun process to go through! It may still be a while before we're actually engaged but i'm happy we're moving forward!!

Also - great tip on ensuring the diamond I select is very square, I hadn't really thought of that. I'm still open to how the stone will be oriented and am hoping the designer will make some suggestions.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on all the progress!
36.gif

I love the starset princess! Simple and elegant!

Good luck with your designs!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, ChocolateLover! I don''t have any pictures to post, but I love your idea, and definitely had fun looking at this thread
1.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock

Hi Chocolatelover!

Welcome to PS - add your name to the LIW list!

Your hypothetical ring sounds quite modern and hip.

I wonder if you''d like any caleb meyer designs?

Do compare princess prices with PS vendors - you might be able to get a better (brighter) stone for less money and still have a setting custome made in your home town.

Here are a few princess inspiration pannels - I don''t know if you''ll like anything, but you have lots of options (pretend the colored stones are diamonds).

Definately look through the show me the ring eyecandy folder.

I love bezels!

454prin1.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
pt 2

454prin2.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
pt3

454prin3.jpg

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
last part

454prin4.jpg

ChocolateLover

Rough_Rock
omg - wow, I''m in heaven, I love soooo many of those designs!! I''ve been hunting for princess bezel sets for weeks now and had only found a few of those posted.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
HD...you''ve made me fall in LURVE with Princess Bezels!

I think I may just have to find the perfect princess cut gemstone to make a RHR someday!!!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
That setting you picked out is gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results