shape
carat
color
clarity

First Pearl Project for Mom - Help/Suggestions Please? =)

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Christmas is going to be here before we know it, and I've got most of my shopping done (yes, I'm that person!) for friends and family.

My mom is the lone exception. It has been a really, really hard, challenging, one gut punch after another for her kind of year. Between my dad's urgent surgery, subsequent seizure, and estimated 6 months until fully recovered, along with all the construction projects for the house, along with other very emotional family drama, she deserves something significantly nicer than normal.

She is the queen of fashion jewelry, and genuinely loves many of her fashion pieces more than the few fine jewelry ones she has.

Tahitian pearls are one of her exceptions. She adores a beautiful Tahitian pearl. When she was in Hawaii a few years back she found a shop with a three stone Tahitian pearl necklace she fell in love with, but she did not purchase it at the time since it was at the beginning of her trip and she wanted to make certain she saw a lot of pearls before making a decision. Unfortunately, she could not find another necklace like it anywhere on the second island they were at, and has pined after it ever since.

At this point in time, she has two pearl necklaces, both about 10mm Tahitian pearls, in the floating pendant design where the chain goes all the way through and the pearl can move back and forth.

My mission is to acquire three 10mm Tahitian pearls, and have the necklace she always wanted made. She prefers mid-toned Tahitian pearls, or "not dark". I think the peacock ones are her favorite, but she likes the blues/greens too.

I would ideally like to stay closer to $500 for this, but can go up to $1k for gorgeous pearls that will knock her socks off. I feel like I'm seeing high end Tahitian pearls for anywhere from $150-400 each in the 10mm range, so is my budget reasonable? If I have to drop down to 9mm I can, but that's the absolute smallest I will go.

Any suggestions on the best vendor to reach out to? I was thinking Pearl Paradise or CMW pearls, as I think they could both pull this off pretty easy, but I'm open to any trusted vendor who can get the right pearls. Absolute worst case scenario, is I give her the loose pearls for Christmas and have the actual necklace made for her birthday a couple months later.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated! I'm posting up a picture of some of the colors my mom likes, as well as the necklace style. Oh, and should I get a chain for the necklace that lets her choose between 16 and 18 inches?

MomNecklaceInspo.jpg MomTahitianInspo.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be pretty!!

In the pearl card, those circled pearls - are they what's still available from CMW?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
That will be pretty!!

In the pearl card, those circled pearls - are they what's still available from CMW?

I haven't reached out to CMW yet, these were just examples of colors I know she likes (these were pearls for sale through an Etsy seller, but all the circled ones have sold).

I suppose I'm hoping that someone may be able to tell me if CMW or Pearl Paradise could source such pearls for me if I sent them this picture?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re based in the US IMO it’s worth seeing what pearl paradise has available, since you could have multiple options shipped out and choose for yourself in person.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I've sent an email to Pearl Paradise with a request for assistance! They have virtual appointments, which could be a possibility, but I also checked flights to LA and I can get a round trip for less than $200 at the moment, so it might be worth flying in to see them in person to select, we shall see.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Makenna at Pearl Paradise was absolutely lovely, she selected 5 pearls she felt matched what I was looking for and these are the three we went with. Purchasing undrilled, and will send them back when we are ready to have the necklace made.
She even gave me the 20% discount since the Tahitian pearl sale started this week, even though the sale does not generally apply to these pearls (they were from a special box). Will post my own pictures once I receive them!

IMG-0005 (1).jpg IMG-9998.jpg IMG-9999.jpg

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
And here I was under the impression that gemstones and diamonds were difficult to photograph! After trying to capture the colors in pearls I am never complaining about the former ever again!
Quick photos of the tahitian pearls that Makenna was so generous in helping me find for my mother. 20220927_171244.jpg

Attachments

• 20220927_171409.jpg
    20220927_171409.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220927_120616.jpg
    20220927_120616.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220927_120537.jpg
    20220927_120537.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220927_120457.jpg
    20220927_120457.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 22

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They really are camera-shy but you’re pics came out great :bigsmile:

Congratulations, your mother will be so thrilled ❤️ You’re such a lovely daughter! Please show us pictures of your gift when it’s all finished!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
@vintageinjune I remembered your project when I saw these!!

1DC696FD-470D-4803-A3FC-27D3D745F607.png

GAH, the luster on those is amazing. There is an excellent chance that I'll end up ordering some pearls for myself from CMW next year.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results