shape
carat
color
clarity

First Pearl Necklace Purchase

mina78

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I recently took the plunge and purchased my first pearl necklace. I did a little bit of research online before purchasing but still feel completely out of my depth. It's a vintage necklace (1960s?), and therefore not in AAA condition at all. I think I just need some reassurance that I haven't thrown my money down the drain. It's 16 inches in total, with 6mm pearls and a 9ct gold clasp:

IMG-2967.JPG IMG-2964.JPG

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you have a cultured akoya pearl strand there.

mina78

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I have absolutely no idea what they are if I'm honest, even after a lot of in depth reading online regarding the various types. If you don't mind me asking how do you know that they're Akoya?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I have absolutely no idea what they are if I'm honest, even after a lot of in depth reading online regarding the various types. If you don't mind me asking how do you know that they're Akoya?

They are very round(and small), a dead giveaway and this is because they have a bead nucleus inside.
Freshwater pearls rarely are perfectly round and they are mostly tissue nucleated. There are bead nucleated freshwater pearls too, but usually they are large, see Edison type pearls.

Btw, your necklace looks great.

Last edited:

mina78

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Gloria27 , I had no idea which type of pearls they were. I didn't spend a massive amount on these, only £30 as it happens, but it's good to know that even this small amount wasn't completely wasted. Thanks again.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Gloria27 , I had no idea which type of pearls they were. I didn't spend a massive amount on these, only £30 as it happens, but it's good to know that even this small amount wasn't completely wasted. Thanks again.

Omg, that is a steal!

mina78

Rough_Rock
Omg, that is a steal!

Thanks! I even got the edwardian pendant and chain that i posted over in the antiques forum for £30. These were both charity shop buys.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results