shape
carat
color
clarity

First meal out since lockdown, woo hoo!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not easy for someone like me who enjoy singing in choirs ever since I was young.

Shortly before lockdown, I actively sing with 2 choirs.

I appreciate singing is high risk, hence I can appreciate it is likely to be one of the last activities to be allowed to resume.

However, I fully expect it will resume one day.

If sporting events where spectators will scream, shout and sing etc. can resume some time in the future, then I do not see why singing should not be allowed, especially if a singing event takes place outdoors.

Life must go on, so to speak.

DK :))

I have always wanted to visit the UK and sample their cuisine and to see the sites, alas, it hasn't happened yet.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always wanted to visit the UK and sample their cuisine and to see the sites, alas, it hasn't happened yet.

I do not believe one would contemplate travelling to UK for their food 40+ years ago when I first arrived! :lol-2:

How times had changed for the better.

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock

The most popular cuisines in the UK are Indian and Chinese food :D

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most popular cuisines in the UK are Indian and Chinese food :D

For takeaway/out, may be.

Modern British/European are very popular nowadays, as well as gourmet French.

DK ;-)

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
For takeaway/out, may be.

Modern British/European are very popular nowadays, as well as gourmet French.

DK ;-)

Everyone look at me funny when I say my favourite food is a Sunday roast.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
And there are some fantastic local specialities for example Yorkshire curd tart and Pontefract cakes here ;)2 !

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the reservation! Sounds like a fun outing!

I do take pictures at Michelin star restaurants, mainly to help me remember and relive the experience. It felt very taboo and poor etiquette back in the day with film cameras (and I didn't do it then), but now it feels pretty common place. I will say, I do think it takes away from fully enjoying the experience at the time.

I love that you are dining solo. I think that would allow for even more enjoyment of the food, as you can focus 100% on eating. I enjoy dining solo on business trips.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And there are some fantastic local specialities for example Yorkshire curd tart and Pontefract cakes here ;)2 !

We have Wiltshire cured bacon, whatever that is supposed to be! :lol-2:

@MRBXXXFVVS1 my way of looking at it is that, if I do not do anything on my own, then I would do nothing at all! Dining on my own is easy. The hardest for me was going to theatre on my own. Cracked that one eventually, as I do not have to go into the bar for a drink - I just drink water at my seat or have an icecream instead. ;-)

@paragon1234 I do like a Sunday roast, however, it is a lot of work, and expensive (for beef especially) for just one person. Hence I only do them on Christmas and Boxing Days, a duck for the former, and whatever takes my fancy for the latter. I seldom have Sunday roast when I dine out, unless I can be certain the roast beef is rare, which is not very often nowadays.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy! I think dining by oneself is peaceful and very pleasant. I feel like I'm pampering myself when I do it.

I miss dining out. I'm in Texas and our virus rates are out of control here unfortunately, worse than when we went into lockdown back in March. :cry2: Even though the restaurants are open, I wouldn't dream of dining in anywhere just now in my area.

So I'll just have to enjoy takeout for the time being and live through your dining out experience. Have a glass of wine for me! And I want to hear what fabulous thing you have for dessert!

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Indeed!

- second only to taking work out to village cafes & pubs in Andalusia, which I am a couple of times a week.

That sounds blissful. Wish I could join you! I miss European cafes!

Happiness is sitting outside, watching the people walk by, sipping tea or Pastis, and thumbing through Le Monde or the Berliner Zeitung all afternoon!

¡Que la pases bien!

Last edited:
Reactions: AV_

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The restaurant manager has sent me the menu and wine list ahead of the meal.

The set menu is fine as that is what I had expected and do not have any spe

Not sure if I am supposed to pre-order my drinks, however, I have ordered what I can, and have asked for the cocktail menu as I would like a mocktail to start with.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another reason I like about going to a posh restaurant is that I can wear some of my nicer pieces.

Can't wait!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently did outdoor dining at one of my favorite posher Italian places. They cure their own meats and make their own digestifs and of course all the pasta is fresh made. No alfredos or chicken parm on this menu! Not that those aren’t delicious, but sometimes I want to feel like I’m actually back in Italy. And this place does just that.

Didn’t ask pics of all the courses but did take a few for a photobook I’m making my partner for our anniversary.
A07360DF-CF5E-44A8-B896-2759991CCE76.jpeg A3C733DF-6B34-4330-B295-84B8A3A19D00.jpeg C21347E3-6D4E-4B23-8503-A00207346CA0.jpeg A2D568CE-89A3-419D-8C2E-82698CABBE0E.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm planning dinner at Menton in Boston for my anniversary in 8 weeks, and I am SO looking forward to that!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting on the subject of taking photos of meals.

I do it all the time when I am on my own at home, and when I am on holiday in UK or abroad.

However I loathe taking pics of food during fine dining. Pics do not do them justice without the smell and taste etc. IMHO.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168: where's our report? I for one want to live vicariously!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The meal was excellent, and so were the helpful and cheerful staff.

The best dish was the lobster tortellini, however the other courses were very good too.

The chef came out to say hi to all the diners, and we all congratulated him in winning this year's Great British Menu, definitely well-deserved, and the lobster dish was one of the winning dishes.

Highly recommended and I am glad I went.

DK ;)2

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The meal was excellent, and so were the helpful and cheerful staff.

The best dish was the lobster tortellini, however the other courses were very good too.

The chef came out to say hi to all the diners, and we all congratulated him in winning this year's Great British Menu, definitely well-deserved, and the lobster dish was one of the winning dishes.

Highly recommended and I am glad I went.

DK ;)2

Nope. Not enough detail for me to live vicariously, but I'm so glad you enjoyed it all and got to meet/see the chef!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results