shape
carat
color
clarity

First engagement ring - HELP!

Hi all,

I'm looking for an engagement ring. I've spent the last 6 months or so trawling through these forums, so I've got a fair idea of what I want. Basically, I'm looking at:

Solitaire - Vatche U-113 - platinum, will ask for 5% Ruthenium, medium height setting
Carat - .68-.74 roughly
Colour >I
Clarity VS2>
Cut - Ideal
Budget - $2500-3000 (for the stone only)
I've found a couple of diamonds that look like they fit the bill, but I've got no idea how to evaluate things like table, girdle, depth, etc.

I found a stone that fits the criteria about for around $2600, but it's I colour, and I'm concerned that it may show colour against the platinum. Any thoughts?

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife's center stone is an "I" color, shows no color, it is AGS graded. You said you found an "I" stone you like, who graded it? There is a very big difference between GIA vs. EGL and other labs. More info for the PS community is needed to comment on your stone besides the grading lab. Dimensions of the stone, ASET, etc. Since you have been following the forum, you must recognize these names. You might want to check the inventory of BGD or WF, if you go with a Brian Gavin Signature or a White Flash ACA, then you are getting an excellent performing stone. AGS000 would be an excellent place to be. Others will have to chime in who are better equipped to help you.
Good luck.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
lostmykeyswheresmywallet|1409966578|3745769 said:
If you had to choose between these two, which one would you pick?

0.68, ACA, VS2, I - whiteflash have confirmed that it falls in the middle of the "I" range

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3186636.htm

slightly smaller, .648, ACA, VS2, H

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3198021.htm

The ACAs are wll well cut, but there may be nuances to some of them due to table sizes, what the cutters did with the minor facets, etc.

I like the proportions of the I color diamond better. But I can see tint in the I range, and might pick the H for color, or might keep looking.

The H diamond has a larger table than I prefer. I like to keep the table 55-56% and not larger, with lower girdle facets % around 76% for fatter arrows. I like broader flashes from the wider arrows, but you might prefer some other look. Many PS people like those smaller tables, though, for the fire.

read http://niceice.com/diamond-buying-secrets/15-seconds-diamond-buying-success/ and some of his other writings. And search "pricescope cheat sheet for rounds" and find that thread that gives a summary of what happens with various table sizes, crown & pavilion angles, and how it affects the balance between brilliance (white light) and fire.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would pick the H. I always prefer better color.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the size you are considering, an increase in .10 ct will be more noticeable than one color grade.

I would try and get as large an I as I could. I do not think an I under 1 ct will show too much color in a plat setting.

akoakoako

Rough_Rock
I agree with aca i suspect you will not see any color difference in a setting. I personally cat see h vs i. I cant only see it from the side on white background.

Thanks for all the replies. As happens when you research, you end up with more questions.

What I'm wondering, is whether the u113 is really worth it, or I should consider the WF knife edge solitaire or the BG half round tiffany setting and spend the difference on a bigger/ better stone.

What would you do?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your total budget?

Personally I'd try for a nice non branded stone and setting and get the biggest stone you can, rather than pay for h&a and a branded setting . If your budget was unlimited-maubeunlimited-maybe, but I think you can have more of an impact oif you give yourself a little leeway in these two areas. Plus, go down to an I

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
lostmykeyswheresmywallet|1410071111|3746320 said:
Thanks for all the replies. As happens when you research, you end up with more questions.

What I'm wondering, is whether the u113 is really worth it, or I should consider the WF knife edge solitaire or the BG half round tiffany setting and spend the difference on a bigger/ better stone.

What would you do?

IMO the U113 is definitely worth it - but i think that getting a larger diamond in a non branded setting might work out better in your situation. The Vatche is like 2/3 the cost of your diamond budget. IMO i would prefer a bigger diamond than the branded setting. I would like to add that Vatche sets the stone at the perfect height, i would not ask for a change in that (if you decide to go with Vatche). They also charge more to change the height (or so i was told because i originally wanted "medium height" as well - my diamond is a 1ct in the setting with 5% ruth blend)

ETA: i have an AGS0 I colored diamond and i see no color at all...i believe the cut really helps - the diamond is stark white in most conditions! It's a sweet spot for budget friendly stones.

Here is a post someone made of the comparisons of the tiffany replicas, they ultimately went with a WF setting. Maybe this will help your decision!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-contemporary-six-prong-solitaire-tiffany-replica.205492/#post-3739670#p3739670']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-contemporary-six-prong-solitaire-tiffany-replica.205492/#post-3739670#p3739670[/URL]

I got some comparison pics from WF showing the difference between the Vatche U113 and the WF Contemporary Prong Solitaire setting.

Vatche is left, WF is right

35bcuw9.jpg

35cgz8g.jpg

I think I actually prefer the WF setting, it's lower and I think it will look great with the prongs thinned out a touch.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that's awesome!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the WF setting and I would put the .71 in it.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the way the Whiteflash ring appears to taper in toward the diamond. I would choose it over the Vatche.

A few more showing the differences between the WF Classic 6 Prong (not the contemporary), WF Knife-Edge, and U113

20qb3o2.jpg

k2nwa9.jpg

16gxr9s.jpg

I think I'm pretty much sold on the WF Contemporary 6 Prong.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Those are some awesome pics! I love WF, when i was contemplating between the different sizes between their shared prong 7 stone bands, they send me multiple pics with 6 prong solitaires with stones similarly sized to mine!

Make sure to post pics when you get it!

I ended up going with the Vatche, and a 7.01 ACA stone. The WF contemporary was nice, but was a bit too pinched/ cathedrally at the top. I like the classic simplicity of the Vatche. I'll put up a pic once I get it.

Appreciate all your help

CalRon

Rough_Rock
Hey, I was wondering if your diamond has been set in the Vatche U113? I would love to see what it looks like with your diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results