shape
carat
color
clarity

First custom ring, advice requested on drawings from David Klass

dvj

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I am creating a natural diamond custom ring with David Klass. I don't own a lot of jewellery, and this is my first custom project. Needless to say, I am very excited. Please forgive me in advance if some of the terms I use or try to use are incorrect--I am sure I will get a few things wrong.

Where should I start? Maybe the back story and idea? First, I got the idea for a lily of the valley ring a few months ago from someone who posted a link to a beautiful diamond flower band with little rose-cut diamonds from Italy. I apologise I can't remember who posted that ring, or where, but here is a link: My ring is completely different in style to this ring, but it got me thinking about flowers and about lily of the valley. I am pregnant and have been very sick the entire pregnancy. We are close now (two weeks!) to the finish line. This child is much wanted and will be greatly loved. As a distraction from my health problems with the pregnancy I have looked at pictures of beautiful things here on pricescope. Thank you all for that!

I searched for other designs of lily of the valley rings, and found a small antique one I liked very much. Lily of the valley has a lot of meaning to me personally. It is my favorite flower, and my wedding bouquet was a small bouquet of lily of the valley. Furthermore, lily of the valley is associated with purity, happiness, humility. All of those things represent the gift of a new baby. They will be small and pure and bring great happiness. And I have been so humbled by the journey so far, and I am sure I will continue to be. When they grow up I hope to pass the ring onto them.

More about the ring: We purchased a small D colored ACA diamond from Whiteflash to use for the ring. Tiny compared to many stones, but bright and beautiful and perfectly cut. I contacted David Klass, and shared some photos and ideas with him. I now have three sets of pictures he drew on his computer. I suggested maybe using a leaf design for the gallery (is that the right term) as I don't particularly like the scrolls. However, I am not sure I like the leaf design that much either, and I am trying to figure out what I would like. Would straight lines look better? Lots or only a few? Will this still be easy to clean as I can get through the bottom? Will the light shine through? Does this look sturdy enough? Would you make any changes to the design of the ring as a whole? Beauty and comfort are the main characteristics I hope to achieve.

Thanks for reading---I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Inspiration photos of old ring:
lily of the valley side.png
lily of the valley edwardian ring.png Photos of David Klass drawings:

Attachments

• DK 82543-QUAD-3.jpg
    DK 82543-QUAD-3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 86
  • DK 82543-QUAD-5.jpg
    DK 82543-QUAD-5.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 84
  • DK 82543-QUAD.jpg
    DK 82543-QUAD.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 85

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love every thing about this project.
:love:

my personal opinion about the gallery would be to leave it as the original inspo is - straight lines. And just a few.

i don’t think you need to worry about light getting thru nor being easy to clean. I think it’s fine.

edited to add: DK set the navette shaped cluster ring in my avatar. They are ACA’s and they might be more enclosed than what your cad indicates. you definitely do not need to be worried about light getting to your ACA, nor cleanability.

Last edited:
I love every thing about this project.

my personal opinion about the gallery would be to leave it as the original inspo is - straight lines. And just a few.

i don’t think you need to worry about light getting thru nor being easy to clean. I think it’s fine.

edited to add: DK set the navette shaped cluster ring in my avatar. They are ACA’s and they might be more enclosed than what your cad indicates. you definitely do not need to be worried about light getting to your ACA, nor cleanability.

Ditto. I prefer the open gallery as well. I feel like the top of the ring has just the ring amount of detailing. That plus adding more to the sides seems...unbalanced? in contrast with the lovely plain metal shank.

dvj

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @Rfisher and @AnastasiaBeaverhausen so much for your suggestions. Maybe I complicated it a little too much by wanting to add leaves. I will ask for a drawing of a few simple straight lines, similar to the inspo.

And good to know about the ACA @Rfisher, thanks! This will be the first one I see in real life.

I'll keep you posted when I have more to share. Thanks again.

Last edited:

dvj

Shiny_Rock
Um, so this is almost a two-year late update, but I wanted to post some photos of my ring. I have and continue to enjoy wearing it so much! Working with Whitefish, and with David Klass, was easy. The ring is 18k yellow gold topped with platinum. The diamond is D, VS, .45. My finger is size 7.25.

Photos! (Taken by DK, not me).

DKPV2021___07__15____82543____82543.jpg
DKPV2021___07__15____82543____82543-4.jpg
DKPV2021___07__15____82543____82543-3.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results