shape
carat
color
clarity

First Broadway musical...looking for advice!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I know there are a ton of New Yorkers and generally cultured members on this forum, so I thought this would be the perfect place to ask about this. I purchased tickets to Hamilton for September and I decided to make an overnight trip of it instead of driving 3.5 hours each way as a day trip. It's my first musical and I'm so excited! My boyfriend and I are staying over the night before so we are already in the city for the show (2 pm on a Wednesday) and we don't have to worry about getting there the day of. I'm wondering:

1. Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay? Obviously, we'd like to not spend a ton but also don't want to sleep on a park bench.
2. We are thinking of going to the Met - anyone ever been? About how long might it take to get through it?
3. Any suggestions on good eats? Perhaps somewhere we could make reservations.

I know these are very broad questions, but any advice would be appreciated! Thank you all, in advance! :wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, ihy!

NYC hotel rates fluctuate widely, even within the same week. But I'm happy to scope out some possibilities for you if you tell me the date of the Tuesday night you'll be here & your budget range (FYI hotel taxes add about another 15% to the basic nightly rate).

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HI, ihy!

NYC hotel rates fluctuate widely, even within the same week. But I'm happy to scope out some possibilities for you if you tell me the date of the Tuesday night you'll be here & your budget range (FYI hotel taxes add about another 15% to the basic nightly rate).

Hi mollymalone! You're so sweet to offer! We are staying the night of September 26th. I'm happy to do the work myself, too, I just have no idea where to look! The only time I stayed in NYC at a hotel it was for work and the hotel room was $700 a night (thank god I didn't have to pay!). :errrr:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I meant to add about budget - I have no idea what is reasonable for NYC! I'd love to spend around $250-$300 but I don't know if that's crazy low. I'm open to all options!

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've only been to NYC once, so my suggestions haven't been compared to any subsequent visits, but:

1) We stayed at the Wellington on 7th Avenue because it was within quick walking distance of Broadway, Central Park, etc. and had a subway entrance right near it. The room was small but comfortable. The night of September 26th is showing $359 for two people in a standard room.

2) We had to rush through the Met to make a reservation afterwards, but even a quick pass through only part of it was so worth it! Definitely make your way to the rooftop terrace there if you go--stunning views!

3) If you like Indian food, Bengal Tiger on W 56th Street was amazing. We also splashed out on an incredible meal at Asiate at the Mandarin Oriental. Check what time of day sunset will be in late September, and book a reservation for about 30 minutes before sunset. The restaurant overlooks Central Park, and we had sweeping views during daylight, sunset, and dark. The food and service there were fantastic and worth every penny!

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
More ideas coming to me as I reminisce about my trip...

1) The Russian Vodka Room on W 52nd is a close walk to the Richard Rodgers Theatre (where Hamilton is playing). A friend who lives in NYC took us there. We didn't have anything to eat (oops!), but we made good use of their happy hour. They make incredible (and strong!) vodka martinis in many flavors.

2) We saw The Book of Mormon when we were there, and we got pre-show snacks and drinks at Lillie's Victorian Establishment, which was right by the theatre. Very pretty and interesting decor, yummy food, good drinks.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHEW! I was so afraid you were going to say September 12 or September 19. Hotel rates will be positively obscene for Tuesday, September 12, because that's during NYC Fashion Week & is "opening day" for the U.N. General Assembly, so availability is already quite limited (many rooms are booked a year+ in advance). September 19 is when the UN's General Debate session start, but the 26th shouldn't be too bad in terms of hotel availability (and therefore hotel rates), although September is when NYC's "season" kicks off.

Be back shortly : - )

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
See what you think of the French Quarters Guest Apartments. Despite the name, this is a legit hotel, not apartment units that are being rented out illicitly to tourists and other short-term visitors contrary to NY law. It's a townhouse on Restaurant Row, just up the street from the Richard Rogers Theatre, home of Hamilton. and is currently #16 out of the 467 on TripAdvisor's "hit parade" of Manhattan hotels (it's received consistently good reviews since it opened 7 or so years ago).

There is 1 king-bedded room left for the night of September 26. Think these photos are of the room that's still available:
https://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/the-french-quarters-guest-apartments/photos/king-room/
If you're willing to pre-pay in advance for a non-refundable reservation, the base rate is $259. The total with taxes will be $294. The no-commitment rate, with taxes, would total $346, so would bring you up over the $300 mark. Rates include a light breakfast.
http://www.frenchquartersny.com
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R..._Guest_Apartments-New_York_City_New_York.html

Also in the under-$300 total for the night of September 26, the Washington Square Hotel in the West (Greenwich) Village. Base rate for a Deluxe king-bedded room (the cheaper Superior rooms are tight quarters) is $242; total with taxes is $281 -- light breakfast included here too. And that's a no-commitment rate; no pre-payment required. Is it a sumptuous hotel? Nope, but I'm fond of the place; it's in a quintessential NYC location & would be a quick, easy subway ride (no transfer required) to/from the theatre.
http://washingtonsquarehotel.com
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...gton_Square_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

If neither of these suit you, don't be shy about saying what would appeal to you two more, e.g., newer building, more contemporary decor, different location.

Last edited:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hayley - thank you so much for sharing these amazing ideas!! Your suggestions were so helpful and I'm diving into them online as we speak! I especially appreciate all the amazing food suggestions. I feel like there are SO many restaurants in NYC, so it's really nice to hear your first-hand experience. Thank you, thank you!

Mollymalone - Phew! So glad I didn't inadvertently buy tickets on a VERY busy week. I ended up choosing tickets for my birthday week, so I'm thrilled that it wasn't a horrible choice. I'm reading reviews for the French Quarters Apartments and it looks like it is receiving VERY good and consistent reviews. I'm super interested in staying here, especially given the ideal location. I'm pretty sure I'm going to book there!! Have you stayed there personally?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I myself have not stayed at the French Quarters Apartments. Unless it's wintery cold & I'm seeing a show, I don't usually stay in the Theatre District-Times Square area when overnighting or doing a little staycation in "the City," as those of us who live in the outer boroughs call Manhattan ; - ]

I was hoping against hope that the Casablanca Hotel might be within reach for the night of September 26, but no such luck.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I just ran through the NYC Department of Building's roster of upcoming Manhattan hotels to see if there's one likely to open in late August-early September that might be offering some nice introductory rates. But it looks as there's a time gap between the new hotels that have already opened this year & the few that are hoping to open in November-December. So nooooo reason to hold off on making a reservation now.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi MollyMalone, thanks so much again for your feedback! You're quite the expert on NYC accommodations. I should have known that you live there! I ended up booking at French Quarters. It just looks beyond perfect and the reviews were shining. I'm really looking forward to staying there. Thank you so much for your input! I feel like I can relax a bit and plan the rest of my trip accordingly. A huge weight has been lifted! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results