shape
carat
color
clarity

First and Last engagement ring purchase

TedG

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Firstly congratulations to this forum, as all searches have led me to here; the holy grail of diamond knowledge :)

I am from Toronto Canada and will be purchasing a ring soon as I am able to find one that meets my needs.

I am very excited to propose and did not expect to be so confused and informed at the same time, I thank the wealth of knowledge on the Internet for that.

My thoughts right now are to go with the following:

Ring: Solataire stone
Setting: Four prong/Tifanny
Cut: Excellent
Color: H or I
Clarity: SI2
Carat: 1 (I'm hoping for bigger if my budget allows for it)
Type: Round Brilliant
Fluorescense: from what I've read this can take away from the brilliance and is dependant on the setting (gold, platinum, white gold), is there any truth to this claim?
Crown: I am not sure what to look for; since its dependant on the size of diamond

Budget: $5,000 - $7,000 (including all applicable fees/costs)

I have taken a look at many sites and stores, and have read both the good and the bad. While I was initially against buying online I think the industry has matured to a point that it is trustworthy given the past experiences I read about. My initial plan is get the loose stone online, and appraised here (Toronto), set here as well.

I am very interested in understanding your thoughts so please post any relevant informative links along with any comments.

All of the above choices are not set in stone (pun intended :p) so please suggest another option

Cheers;

Ted

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might check out USA Certed Diamonds if you are looking for SI2 and want to get it set locally. They might be near you. http://www.usacerteddiamonds.com/usagia/fifaq.html

Ignore the hideous website, there's a recent positive review here and they have a good reputation on PS (different names, same people): [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/martin-sheffield-igs-in-thornhill.186989/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/martin-sheffield-igs-in-thornhill.186989/[/URL]

TedG

Rough_Rock
From the website they seem to fall under "U.S.A Certed Diamonds" (spelling error on their part?), do they provide AGS or GIA certificates?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, let them know you are looking for GIA/AGS ideal cut.

TedG

Rough_Rock
Does that mean they will provide an AGS or GIA certificate or mearly present an equivalent in their unique certification?

Thanks for your help and the prompt reply :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"USA Certed" in the name means that they sell diamonds with GIA/AGS reports, not diamonds without reports or Canadian/international labs.

TedG

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I was not aware of that. I will look into them, do you have any other insight into they type of diamond/setting etc that I am looking at?

BlueGreen

Rough_Rock
TedG|1363662287|3408320 said:
Thanks, I was not aware of that. I will look into them, do you have any other insight into they type of diamond/setting etc that I am looking at?

What about this stone? http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.11-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-197682
Remember to ask for the PS discount (1-5% from JA).

If you're going the JA route, you might as well pick 2 other diamonds in your price range that have a HCA score under 2 and ask JA for Idealscopes on them.

This setting:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/solitaire/18k-white-gold-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-handmade-item-2537 - JA will change to 4 prong for free if you don't like 6 prongs

or this setting: http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-2mm-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115 - super cheap

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluorescence is rarely a negative and can actually make lower color stones appear whiter than they are. It is just a bonus that they sometimes cost less. I have a G color diamond with fluorescence and really prefer it. So do not rule it out in your search!

TedG

Rough_Rock
Those are some excellent looking stones, when I tried to do a deeper dive I noticed JamesAllen has a different option for their cut "Hearts and Arrows". Do they use the GIA description of CUT or is it an internal system?

In regards to the setting, I know i picked a simple one, as I would like to concentrate my monies on the diamond itself. What questions should i be asking myself in terms of 4, 6, or 8 prongs aside from the security the diamond will not become loose. Will a lot less of hte diamond be viewable if i go 8 or 6 vs the 4?

Thanks for clearing up the fluorescence question, am I correct in saying that since I am aiming to get a H or I and if I put it on a gold setting it will improve the look of the diamond? Which of the fluorescence type should I aim for, or this even something I should consider? (Strong, Medium, Faint, None)

With regards to the specifics of a cut (girdle width, symmetry, polish, depth%, table %, and culet size), My understand is that they already incorporated into the CUT rating, or should I pay attention to them only when comparing different diamons?

Would the Diamond store you referred to in Thornhill (not too far away from me) be able to give comparable prices to those seen on these online sites, or there a significant difference between the two (15% or more?)

Thanks again for the help.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The store in Thornhill, USA Certed, has very good prices, they are on the low side for Pricescope vendors. Tell them you found them on Pricescope.

JA's system of cut grades, from what I have seen, correlates with GIA.

If you are putting it into a yellow gold setting you could look into J or K color. Seriously, go look at some stones in person so you know what you're comfortable with.

6 prongs is enough, 8 is probably too much for a 1 ct stone.

TedG

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'll try and take a look at some this week, most likely the weekend. I'll try and get a view of several types of diamonds to get a feel for the differences.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool. A lot of Internet consumers would love to have access to a PS vendor (and Internet prices) locally.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Blue green this stone would be okay except for the inclusion dead center on the table. But it is good to show Ted that he can find a great stone in his budget that is ideal cut GIA I color SI1.....

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I like the one JulieN selected from gog 1.02 ideal cut......looks eye clean. You can also call one of the ps vendors and work with them directly\.

TedG

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, I have not had time to investigate the links given but will tomorrow after work. As with things of this nature a very good friend's friend as referred me to a place called 'A A A Diamonds @ 21 Dundas Sq, Toronto, ON', after not coming up with any informative results using the search on this forum I thought I might ask if anybody has any history/experience/knowledge of this particular store/dealers. I am happy that I will go there informed though, and have made a cheat sheet on my phone that I can refer to, in regards to settings, how would you determine quality craftsmenship? Is it somethign that can only be done with experience, or is there any tips for an amatuer to keep an eye out for?

Very appreciative of all the help, i'm trying to be patient and not jump on the first great opportunity that comes by.

Sabrina_Fair

Rough_Rock
I have heard of AAA Diamonds, but I can't remember from which of my friends it was. It wasn't one that was knowledgeable on diamonds or quality, so I think that may have been how that info got misfiled in my brain. That's one of the larger diamond districts downtown and I have a few friends that have rings from the area, but various stores.

Have you tried Hollywood Jewellery at Yonge and Eglinton? They are the only jeweller in Toronto that I've noticed who has a H&A viewer to let their customers see what an ideal cut looks like. He can show you what an ideal stone looks like compared to a non-ideal (unset!), as well as a few different diamond sizes for comparison, etc. Once you see the symmetry on the round, you'll have a better idea of the pattern you can see when you're looking for an ideal cut.

Though he is informative, you have to pay attention as he's a very fast talker and has a strong accent. He gets quite excited about diamonds. :bigsmile:

What did you mean by quality craftmanship? The ring setting?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another place to check out is http://www.billleboeufjewellers.com/ but they are in Barrie. It's worth the drive though since they have a ton of designer settings and have access to ideal cut stones as well. It doesn't hurt to look and Adam is really nice. They carry Simon G and quite a few other popular brands and size their pieces in house (they don't rhodium plate in house though-that's for white gold).

ETA: the photos on his site don't do his store justice. I check the estate pieces often and often think that's ugly-only to see it in person and am pleasantly surprised that it is much nicer and higher quality than the photos make it out to be. You can call up Adam and tell him your a PSer and he'll know what your referring to and tell him what your looking for. You can also shoot him an email since I know he has more than just whats on his site.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I know you guys also have major taxing on personally purchased items. My friend's new wife is from Canada yet he gave her her ring in the USA....when she crossed the border into canada to go home for the wedding border stopped her and asked where she got the ring and that as a canadianne citizen she had to pay taxes on it right there (she had the ring for nearly a year in the states).

so I don't know how that works when buying from E venddor in the USA

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
For custom work, try http://www.leifbenner.com/.. Lots of good reviews on here and also from my personal friends.

H&A viewer is just for viewing H&A. It is not an Idealscope or for light return.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Charmypoo you never said his pave is not as delicate as LM or VC. :D

Martin runs an extremely lean operation. You will not be able to visit and see diamonds he has on hand as his stock is all virtual.

That being said her knows his stuff. It also allows his prices to be lower than what you see online. People have generally had a good experience with him. Including myself.

Here is another recent thread about him: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/one-amazing-rock-martin-at-usacerteddiamonds-rocks.187154/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/one-amazing-rock-martin-at-usacerteddiamonds-rocks.187154/[/URL]

Sabrina_Fair

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1363892866|3410466 said:
H&A viewer is just for viewing H&A. It is not an Idealscope or for light return.

Definitely. I just haven't seen a Toronto jeweler with one of those yet. :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1363923180|3410866 said:
Charmypoo you never said his pave is not as delicate as LM or VC. :D

I have indeed said that and believe it. But I can't find anyone in Toronto as good as LM, SK, VC. If I do, I will let you know but you should tell me too if you find one :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results