shape
carat
color
clarity

Fingernail removal

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I smashed my finger about a week ago in a garage door. Needless to say, it hurt like hell. My youngest heard words I hope she doesn't hear very often!

Anyway, my nail is completey detached from the bed except on the sides. I thought it would be ok but now I think I need to have it removed. It is getting gross and dirty and I am too chicken to really clean it. It is only going to get worse so I am having it removed.

Anyone have any advice? Is it horrible?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I did what you did twice & let the old nails hang on as long as they could. The idea was that without them the new nail would grow out of shape, I do not know if this is right, in fact... It took years for the new nails to get indistinguishable from the rest. I sure do remember the HURT!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AV_ I don't think I can. It doesn't hurt anymore and I kind of forgot about it today. Unfortunately, I made meatballs and it is DISGUSTING. I really need it cleaned and I know it will happen again. I take care of my rings but tend to see my hands as workhorse tools, lol.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many years ago, my mother got a fungus under her thumb nail. She said it throbbed so badly she could hardly stand it. I was a child at the time but I remember that she went to the doctor, they numbed it and removed the nail. She dreaded it so badly but she said the nail was gone before she ever realized it. It did take a long time to grow an entire nail back but it all turned out ok. I don't think there was any other way to treat the fungus except to take the nail off. That nail grew back thicker than the rest but over time, it thinned out again.

I guess you could soak the nail in something to clean underneath of it but I would worry about infection possibly becoming an issue. Maybe you could schedule a quick appt. with a dermatologist to get their take on it? Maybe they would say to bandage it and let it grow for as long as you could?

So sorry this happened - I know those types of things happen in an instant and I'm sure you saw stars! Good luck to you with this.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eeeekkk, that just gave me the willies Gussie! So sorry it happened, and sorry about the pain you had to endure! Hope you can get to first base quickly to get your healing underway. Hang in there, I always told myself it could be a whole lot worse when I was in the thick of things. The thought didn't actually change anything, but it helped me to keep positive. But an injury to your hand is especially difficult, sending you buckets of dust!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sarahb and @MissGotRocks thanks! The weird part is that it throbbed the first day, turned black the 2nd day, and I felt very little pain after the 3rd day. It looks worse than the pain. I have the horrible thought of movies where people are tortured by pulling the fingernails out though!!!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Mine did detach from the nail bed, so they had to be cut below the level of the finger tip [possible once the nails detach, odd!] & protected from what you describe [waterproof bandaid much of the time & I tend to use latex gloves allot anyway.] They were still connected with new growth, so no pulling.

It is surprising how much fuss a little nail can make! So be it, I gave in.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @AV_! Yes! I think I probably take my fingernails for granted. It is quite a handicap when one doesn't do as intended.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oof, sorry I may have gagged just a little bit. OUCH! :-o That must have hurt like a #%@&*. I’d be careful to keep it clean and covered and watch for infection. Probably best to have it looked at. Hang in there! (Sorry, no pun intended!)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean it by soaking in sea salt and warm water. Ratio of a tsp to a cup. This will debride and clean it.

When I was a kid, I closed the car door on my pinky. My parents cut away the nail as it grew.

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
Just reading this thread made me squeamish.:oops:

Nothing much to add except to wish you a speedy recovery @Gussie !!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy sorry you are dealing with this @Gussie and hope whatever the solution is it provides you with relief and that you heal quickly.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter had her entire nail rip off the day she got a gel manicure. It was a horrendous experience. Trigger warning! The doctor immediately soaked her finger in hydrogen peroxide. Incredible pain obviously. Her new nail slowly grew in and is fine. Might be slightly different than old one. She will never get gel nails again, even though that wasn't the cause. I believe she slammed her car door on it. I locked my thumb in a car door 40 years ago. The doctor back then punctured the nail with a needle (yikes!) to relieve the pressure. It grew back fine.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: oh boy this made me squeamish. When I was in high school, we were playing volleyball during PE and a classmate tore off her whole nail by accident. Our teacher told her to walk it off and keep playing. (She was a terrible teacher.)

I hope you feel better soon!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost the nail off the big toe on my left foot...twice. Shut my foot in a door the first time. Dropped a 45lb plate on it the 2nd.

I let mine fall off naturally (I kept it covered, and per my mother, used Providone iodine to keep it clean) and did foot soaks when it hurt the most. That worked very well both times. it hurt most when it was coming off. The new one came in fine both times, took about 4 -6 months for the nail to come back and cover the entire nail bed.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the doctor's office now. Scared! :eek-2:

if you're driving they can't give you drugs. But they'll hopefully numb it up for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the doctor's office now. Scared! :eek-2:

Aww sending you bucketloads of good luck dust and hope it is over and you are feeling A OK. (((Hugs))).

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good news! She doesn't think it needs to be removed! In fact she said that's kind of old school. There is a medicine that prevents fungus and infection. I don't know what it's called but it's a specialty compound. Wear gloves when submerging in water except for washing hands and keep nail short. Yay! Thanks y'all for your good vibes!!!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you just have to wait this out. I'd buy a big box of surgical type latex gloves and use them whenever you cook or clean.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news! Now you can rest better knowing that you've had it checked out!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! :appl: I'm glad they don't have to rip it off. Did they recommend Betadine salve maybe? Its one of the few that I can think of that is a good antibacterial/anti fungal and also doesn't sting.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic! :appl: I'm glad they don't have to rip it off. Did they recommend Betadine salve maybe? Its one of the few that I can think of that is a good antibacterial/anti fungal and also doesn't sting.

I am not sure exactly what the medicine is but that doesn't sound familiar. I will let you know when I get it tomorrow.

angeljosephy

Rough_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear that it doesn't have to be removed! Sending lots of healing dust your way @Gussie !!:kiss2:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear God @Gussie I’m so sorry to read about this happening, I can’t even imagine the initial pain that was! :eek2: Glad to read the doctor thinks it’ll be okay & wishing you a speedy recovery!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry you had to go through something painful. Just make sure to protect your finger when the nail falls off, because the nail is a shield.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results