shape
carat
color
clarity

Finger size question

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do fingers typically get larger as you age? I know that having babies will sometimes make the fingers larger but what about aging? I want an eternity band but I don't want any sizing bar.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve found my fingers got a lot puffier “after the change” so I’m now a 7 1/2 finger. My mum was the same.
But now as Mum is in her 70s, her fingers part where your rings are is shrinking yet her knuckles are still big. So to get a ring over her knuckle it has to be a size 7 but her actual finger bit is like a 5. Her rings were spinning badly so she got an arthritis clip thing for her engagement ring so it doesn’t spin. It doesn’t matter about her wedding or eternity rings as they look the same all the way around.
So, your fingers might get bigger as you age and then shrink again.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Bron357. That's exactly what I thought and was afraid of, lol! Fun, fun...sigh

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine got larger while my body got heavier.
My first e-ring and full eternity band were size 3.5.
Then size 4 for the marquise, oval, and pear rings.
Then I had them size the pear e-ring to 4.25
I am in my early 60s now and have been ordering size 4.5s.
They were spinning around earlier but have been fine for the last two weeks.

You could just order a larger ring when needed.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring size can change if your weight changes or if your knuckles swell from something like arthritis.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. They can get bigger or smaller at any time. My MIL has arthritis and had a hinge put on her ER. Then years and years later that finger "shrunk". She still has bad arthritis that has partially deformed her hands, but she no longer needs the hinge, and the ring is too big. She hasn't lost weight. Right now all my rings are too big. :(2Previous to this, my fingers had swelled for a few years. I guess it's unpredictable to a point. I would be okay with sizing balls if necessary. Too small is unacceptable.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My finger size was 4.75 when I got married. I was very thin all the way through my 40's. I now have 5.5 to 5.75 for my ring finger. Fortunately my Tiffany band was bought at the 5.5 point or else I wouldn't be able to wear it. I never thought I'd gain weight, but it snuck in there slowly over time!!!:eek-2:;(

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had to have my rings (all of them) adjusted for size at least a couple of times in 20 years (2 pregnancies, menopause and arthritic knuckles as described above!). I was quite glad I’d opted for a 5 stone rather than a full eternity- great finger coverage at a lower price and no spinning.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely got bigger as I age, mainly due to weight gain.

DK :))

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No weight gain here & my fingers have never changed size from a UK K1/2 (US 5.25) and even during pregnancy & surgery swelling, they still fit perfectly. I will be 44 in a couple of months & I can definitely say that over the last 3 years, when my hands get hot, my fingers swell & my rings feel super tight. When my hands are cold, my wedding ring is in danger of slipping off. In heat it won't even push to the knuckle & it's stuck. At some point I think I will be faced with having my full eternity made into 2 half eternity rings. Whilst this doesn't please me, it pleases my eldest daughter. My husband had it made for the birth of our youngest daughter & I've always thought of it as hers & one day she will own it. The thought of my eldest gegging in on some extra sparkles makes her very happy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe you can know either way what will happen to your fingers as we age. My weight has remained fairly stable since I have been an adult (over 30 years) and my finger size has as well but because of Raynauds and arthritis my knuckles swell making some rings impossible to wear now. So under the best case scenario your weight is stable your finger size *should* remain stable but there are other variables that could come into play making it at best a calculated risk.

My advice? Live in the moment and enjoy what you want to enjoy NOW. The future is not guaranteed in terms of anything and while that might be a depressing view it's reality. So get what you want as long as right now it is reasonable your finger size will remain stable (for now). You cannot predict if you will need let's say an arthritic shank in 30 years but you sure can enjoy the bling you can afford and want to get right now.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm like @Alex T , finger size never budged ...

Since I feel I COULD lose weight overall, but am powerless regarding finger size, I have serious small finger envy:sick:.
A friend who's not much slimmer than me overall is a size 3.5.
Her antique OEC 3 stone ring is a 0.9 ctw, but looks HUGE on her..on me? SMALL...
SAD

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm like @Alex T , finger size never budged ...

Since I feel I COULD lose weight overall, but am powerless regarding finger size, I have serious small finger envy:sick:.
A friend who's not much slimmer than me overall is a size 3.5.
Her antique OEC 3 stone ring is a 0.9 ctw, but looks HUGE on her..on me? SMALL...
SAD

Ha. Life is not fair. I’m relatively thin but have huge hands. Huge. Man hands. :cry2:

But that’s why we *need* big diamonds.

:P2

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha. Life is not fair. I’m relatively thin but have huge hands. Huge. Man hands. :cry2:

But that’s why we *need* big diamonds.

:P2

Lol, I do too! I am petite. 5'2" not overweight. I usually wear a size 2. My hands are enormous!!! Size 6.5 on my left hand ring finger!, 7 on my right!! Finger size has nothing to do with body size! I need BIG diamonds!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I do too! I am petite. 5'2" mot overweight. I usually wear a size 2. My hands are enormous!!! Size 6.5 on my left hand ring finger!, 7 on my right!! Finger size has nothing to do with body size! I need BIG diamonds!!!

I feel your pain. I really do. Sadly I also have huge feet too. They grew a half size after I broke my leg. Insult upon injury. Oh well.::)

But big beautiful diamonds and gems go a long way in comforting us don’t you agree?:devil: 8):cheeky::halo:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My knuckles have increased in size. The actual finger is the same. Same thing happened to my mother and grandmother. Can't escape arthritis..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I laugh at you "man-handed women" 6.5-7yeah whatever:roll2::P2. Let me tell you, I would trade fingers for one that size.

When I went through the change I was wearing about a 7-7.5 Now its more in the realm of 8-9.5 and I'm actually overall THINNER!

Maybe I should just get finger lipo:lol::lol-2::shifty:

I blame it on all the weighlifting:P2 honestly though, its probably not the weight lifting but the fact that as we age, all the crap thats wrong with us comes out. @missy, you're right about Reynauld's its so damn bad. Sometimes I look like I have big ol cartoon hands.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I do too! I am petite. 5'2" not overweight. I usually wear a size 2. My hands are enormous!!! Size 6.5 on my left hand ring finger!, 7 on my right!! Finger size has nothing to do with body size! I need BIG diamonds!!!

THIS!!! I'm kinda short (about 5'4") and not overweight (I think the dress I'm wearing right now is a 6?) but my fingers are huge and their size never changes. I'm about a 6.75 on my left ring finger and my right ring finger is a 7.5. I've weighed less than I do right now, and I've weighed more than I do right now, but my finger size always stays the same no matter what.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The average ring size is a 6 or 7. So I don't consider that big at all!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have lost quite a bit of weight over the last 3 1/2 years and of course my ring size has went down but what I have noticed is that my knuckles seems to be a tad bigger than they use to be...so must be something about aging that does that...

September_Blue

Rough_Rock
Premium
My ring finger was a 6.75-7 when I got married. After pregnancy my fingers, like my butt, got bigger and now wear s 7.25 -7.5

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Till my early 40's I was a 3 3/4 and 5 (racquet sports). Now, 15 years later I'm 4 3/4 and 6. It happens....

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I got married my finger size was abt 4.75/5.0. It didn’t change with pregnancies, but about age 35/40 it went up to a six. I had also put on some weight. For twenty years it stayed the same. I usually got rings size 6.5 just because I like them to feel looser. Well the last few months I don’t know what’s going on. I lost 15 lbs but surprisingly my ring size got larger. My 6.5 rings are so tight I can’t wear them. My fingers have suddenly gotten bigger. I had to have my e-ring reset into a temp setting because the new custom setting I had made less than a year ago is way too tight. Even the temp setting at 6.75 is snug, so now I can’t wear a band with it at all. It’s probably swelling, but it doesn’t seem to be going down at all. Ugh!!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
When I got married 13 years ago I was a size 6. I didn't exercise at the time. Then I got in shape and dropped to a 5, but I only resized my wedding set to a 5.25 because I wanted to give myself wiggle room. Then I had two kids and gained almost 50 pounds with each pregnancy, but my fingers never went back up. Now I'm back to my normal weight and my rings are all loose, and I just tried on an heirloom ring the other day that I know I couldn't get over my knuckle before, and it fits on my right hand (which is slightly bigger). I don't know what is going on! I do suffer from chronic illness and have been eating a stricter diet, so maybe it's from reduced inflammation. I must be a 4.5 on my left hand now.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My finger size hasn’t changed over the years. Which Is weird becuase my knuckles look much larger to me as I’ve aged.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I laugh at you "man-handed women" 6.5-7yeah whatever:roll2::P2. Let me tell you, I would trade fingers for one that size.

When I went through the change I was wearing about a 7-7.5 Now its more in the realm of 8-9.5 and I'm actually overall THINNER!

Maybe I should just get finger lipo:lol::lol-2::shifty:

I blame it on all the weighlifting:P2 honestly though, its probably not the weight lifting but the fact that as we age, all the crap thats wrong with us comes out. @missy, you're right about Reynauld's its so damn bad. Sometimes I look like I have big ol cartoon hands.

Yes! Oh to be a 6 or 7 again!

I had worn 7 1/2. Started gaining weight so up to an 8 1/2 or so. Now with my swelling, my new rings are 9 3/4 with them loose some days and tight others.

ETA: just realized that my feet have changed along with my fingers. Started at a 7 1/2. Now can't fit in my 9 1/2 most days.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was at my lightest, 94lbs, my finger size was 6.75, after pregnancy, it went down a couple of sizes, now it’s back to 6.75.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers have stayed the same size and the right hand is the same as the left hand, which makes it easy to transfer rings. I am a ring size 6, sometimes a tad under that, on the ring finger of both hands. Yes, many years ago when I lost weight I was a 5.5 on my left hand, but only for about a year. My size has been consistent for decades. I wish I had thin, elegant fingers. My daughter's fingers are barely a four (4) and look great in rings! But she also has rings slip off her fingers.

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
Ring size is constantly on my mind! Baby #3 is a few weeks from arriving but I'm also in the midst of ordering a new wedding set. My ring finger was a 7 in my early 20s but now the smallest I can get on is an 8. I'm glad my size hasn't fluctuated *too* much; I've gained quite a bit of weight with these back to back pregnancies. Even though I plan on/expect to lose weight soon (and am done having babies) I'm going to err on the side of caution and order my new set in an 8. If my finger goes back down I can get sizing balls put in it, and then have them taken out when I'm older and my knuckles swell. Temperature isn't a factor here because it is always 100% humidity- all puffy all the time!:x2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results