shape
carat
color
clarity

Finewater Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Following on from the recent post by Catmom...

www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=92263

Indeed this is a stunning stone, and one my absolute favourite colours for gems.

It's been quite a while since I posted here, but have popped in from time to time in 'lurker' mode!

The last I posted I was in the middle of having some sapphires set...hmmmm...it was a, how shall I put this...a small disaster!

Enough of that - it's now a distant memory, and no money was lost, as I got a full refund. A deep learning curve, and an experience!

So - to Gary Braun, at Finewater Gems - www.finewatergems.com - and the totally gorgeous amethyst that Catmom posted. It took my breath away, and I wrote him to enquire about it. Garys' correspondence to me was wonderful, and also took my breath away, when he offered to send me the stone, as a gift. He explained to me, that there was a tiny 'nick' on one of the corners, and he wasn't happy to 'sell' anything that was less than perfect.

I was thrilled with his offer, and accepted of course! He assured me, that if it were to be set with the prongs over it, or as he suggested also, in a bezel setting, it would make no difference to the performance of the stone, once set.

So - this gorgeous stone is winging its way over the pond to me as I write this, and I just had to post about this wonderful experience.

I will of course post again, once the stone is here, but I have no doubt it is going to look stunning.

This is the second amethyst experience in as many weeks, as I recently bought a 'set' from Gary Dutton at Dutton's Diamonds - www.diamondexpert.com - which arrived a week or so ago, and really led me here to perhaps gain some ideas about settings. Hence, seeing the trillion!

My first experience with Gary Dutton was impeccable, a true gentleman - my second, with Gary Braun, was absolutely just as wonderful, also a lovely man to talk to, and I wish him all things good, now and in the future.

I now have some lovely stones to work with, and some ideas already working inside my head! The set I already think I know what I want to do with them - drop earrings with a stud post in perhaps a white zircon, or similar, with the amethyst dangling below, and perhaps a pendant to match.

The trillion...depending on how big it looks to me, will either be another pendant, or, as I have been thinking of today, a ring. I'm thinking perhaps white and yellow metal, perhaps white shank and the stone set in yellow?

And, maybe an accent ring next to it in yellow gold? Not sure on that one yet, but I feel this stone deserves to be looked at! By me!

I just actually found out the right size for this stone – it's 12.3mm and 4.75ct – phewwwwwwww! It's going to be glorious... :) Ring or pendant – pendant or ring...ahhhhhhhhh...decisions!

Cooooeeee - for someone who hasn't posted in an age...I have posted a long one this time! I truly wanted to tell you ladies about this stone, and the man behind it.

I know, I will be back...for he has mentioned a red zircon to me....shhhhh! for my ears only!

I looked at all of his stones, and there isn't one that I wouldn't love to own, they are all so so lovely.

If any of you lovely ladies - and gents of course! - have any ideas, I would love to hear/see them...any advance on putting a white stone as accent? I adore white stones...in fact I also bought some very very reasonably priced white cushion topaz from Gary Dutton - which also are beautiful...but too large to be accents, and not the right shape also.

That's it for now...watch this space for the stones arrival!

26.gif

FinewaterGemsJuicyPurple.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
My other amethysts...from www.diamondexpert.com

Totally gorgeous also - picture is little this time...hmmmm!

26.gif

DuttonsAmethystSet.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh how exciting!!! It is such a lovely stone. It would make a beautiful ring.

That was so sweet of Gary to give it to you too. What a sweetheart.

Please post pictures once that beauty is set.

Linda

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
I still haven't quite figured how to re-size the picture properly!

Thank you Linda W - absolutely I will post pictures...

The purple just glows don't you think - gorgeous!

And yes, Gary was an absolute sweet to do this

36.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
How lovely!

Well I still reckon it''d be lovely in a yellow gold bezel setting as a pendant.

How about a trillion-cut white stone bezel-set upside-down above it to form the bale?

x x x

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a deal on a beautiful amethyst!

movie zombie

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Cleo - that's a wonderful idea! Heck, I was doodling last night, and drew out a triangle...for the amethyst - then thought...hmmmm - so I drew another triangle, upside down, on top, and thought, hey, the chain could slip behind this...

Now...are we both thinking it should be 'articulated' and not stationary?

And...which stone for the top trillion? and size? best to go with 12mm amethyst? about a 6mm?

white topaz/danburite/white zircon?

Date: 8/18/2008 7:02:18 PM
Author: Cleo
How lovely!

Well I still reckon it'd be lovely in a yellow gold bezel setting as a pendant.

How about a trillion-cut white stone bezel-set upside-down above it to form the bale?

x x x

26.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A beauuuuutiful amethyst you''ve got there - hope you make something great with it
2.gif

Your idea of setting it in yellow gold on a white shank is a wise one, I was gonna suggest the same. It can even be done in a high karat gold such as 22k, that is if you''re a fan of the look and opt for a bezel setting which would ensure a secure place for the stone. It would also make an even stronger contrast to a white shank and to the color of the stone as well. As for accent stones, it''s your call, but maybe it would distract too much from the stone with all the bicolor metal and an intense colored stone going on. Of course, I don''t know your taste so you may actually like the idea. Maybe some flush set tapered baguettes in the shank, set diagonally (following the outline of amethyst), or small asschers set with the points showing north and south, if you know what I mean. In any case, I''d use step cuts, cause brilliants (especially if they''re diamonds) would I think be too much next to such a glowing, sparkling, intense stone. If you don''t want diamonds, I like white zircons, but they''re not the best idea for a ring unless bezel set or otherwise protected. Sapphires, topazes or beryls (goshenites) are just fine, but the question is which are the easiest to find in the right size and shape.

Good luck
1.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo - great minds thinking alike. :)

White sapphire is lovely too.

Pandora's a good person to ask for gemstone suggestions.. she knows loads about what's suitable.

I was imagining it articulated... but either would be nice.

Are the sides of the amethyst 12mm each? If so, a 6mm trillion would be perfect.

x x x

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHAT?!!
6.gif
I''m so jealous.
39.gif
I love that stone but am happy that someone here got it and we can see it set. YAY!! How wonderful of Gary to give it to you........sniff. Your other amethysts are gorgeous as well.

He he.....I love being an enabler!!!!
9.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi Michelle - and thank you - enabler you!

I was overwhelmed in truth - a lovely thing to happen....

I really think I want this as a pendant, with another trillion on top - the other way round...and all (very likely) done in yellow - but I am a white metal gal...hmmm

I've had my love of coloured stones re-awakened!

What's the popular opinion on metal colour? I have had a browse here, and seen various...but this stone (I believe) needs something contemporary yes?

Pictures when it arrives - and pictures when done!

26.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this - it''s just gorgeous!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/19/2008 10:36:43 AM
Author: pwendyp

I really think I want this as a pendant, with another trillion on top - the other way round...and all (very likely) done in yellow - but I am a white metal gal...hmmm

I''ve had my love of coloured stones re-awakened!

What''s the popular opinion on metal colour? I have had a browse here, and seen various...but this stone (I believe) needs something contemporary yes?

26.gif
Ooooo, a pendant with another trillion at the top sounds very cool. I can''t wait to see it! Metal color is really your preferance but I have to say that there is just something about amethysts set in YG that I love. I mostly wear WG but my amethyst set is in YG. I think it really enhances the color of the stone. Either way it will be GORGEOUS!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock

What''s the popular opinion on metal colour? I have had a browse here, and seen various...but this stone (I believe) needs something contemporary yes?

26.gif
Popular or not, amethysts look best in yellow gold - purple and yellow are complementaries so they enhance eachother. Rose gold would also be OK, white would probably wash away some of the stone''s color and overly darken it (to an extent).

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock

26.gif
Why don''t you have the amethyst set with a YG bezel, and the inverted white-stone trillion set in a WG bezel?

If you do it that way it might be best to have it fixed, rather than articulated...

Just an idea!

x x x

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2008 8:48:36 PM

26.gif
Why don''t you have the amethyst set with a YG bezel, and the inverted white-stone trillion set in a WG bezel?

If you do it that way it might be best to have it fixed, rather than articulated...

Just an idea!

x x x
That would be a reasonable thing to do, especially if you want your white stones to be as white as possible. But unless they''re in some enclosed setting (and unless they''re diamonds for whose whiteness you paid extra money) it''s not crucial. In fact, with such an intense amethyst, you could even get away with pale aquamarines set in yellow gold. They''d look almost colorless (especially small accents), and the rich purple would further overpower any blue they might have. And they sparkle nicely even in small sizes
9.gif
Metal finish also matters, brushed ones are great for accentuating small stones, bringing them to more life.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 2:38:35 AM
Author: ma re

That would be a reasonable thing to do, especially if you want your white stones to be as white as possible. But unless they''re in some enclosed setting (and unless they''re diamonds for whose whiteness you paid extra money) it''s not crucial. In fact, with such an intense amethyst, you could even get away with pale aquamarines set in yellow gold. They''d look almost colorless (especially small accents), and the rich purple would further overpower any blue they might have. And they sparkle nicely even in small sizes
9.gif
Metal finish also matters, brushed ones are great for accentuating small stones, bringing them to more life.
It wasn''t that I thought the WG would accentuate the white stone, more that it would just be a nice way to get a contemporary look. As well as giving some of the WG look that the OP likes, the amethyst could still glow in a YG bezel.

x x x

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 4:43:25 AM

Date: 8/20/2008 2:38:35 AM
Author: ma re

9.gif
It wasn''t that I thought the WG would accentuate the white stone, more that it would just be a nice way to get a contemporary look. As well as giving some of the WG look that the OP likes, the amethyst could still glow in a YG bezel.

x x x
Agree on all terms
2.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
This idea is almost exactly where my thoughts were going...''great minds'' huh!

Thank you to everyone about this stone, it is turning into a real delight to think about, mostly because of how it came to be, but also, because of its loveliness - somehow, it''s going to be perfect, even with the tiny nick in it, because it was gifted..it makes it all the more precious. I have mailed a couple of people about a couple of white stones - one of them being a rather lovely danburite trillion...I think that one is going to be bought!

*waiting on the arrival!*

Date: 8/19/2008 8:48:36 PM

Just an idea!

x x x

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
*the purple has landed!* It is stunning!!

I just have to decide on a design now!

I have a trillion green amethyst (8mm) - a trillion danburite (7mm) - and have more or less decided on mostly polished
silver, with the purple bezel set in yellow gold.

I''m stuck as to which way up to have the purple - flat side uppermost, or point uppermost, and am thinking of
a slide and a fairly thick chain.

If the flat side sits upper, then how would another stone look below?

Or, as the consensus of opinion was, do a static setting, with the purple below, and another stone above, set
in white metal. Plain, simple...often the best.

I don''t want it right at my neck, so perhaps a 17" ish chain...slide or bale?

Any other colour stones that would work with the purple?

I have a few pictures to garner some ideas from - perhaps the silversmith can add some input as well - any
pictures gratefully received!

26.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know about the setting........but I do know that I am anxiously awaiting some PICTURES!!!!!!!
3.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
give me 15 minutes - see what I can produce...lighting is no good though - it''s night time here now!

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
I took half a dozen pictures, but just this one is good - awful picture taking conditions!

It's night time - I should have gone to the kitchen...hmmmm....there's a thought now!

Blond day!

ETA

I'll try in the morning, when it's daylight - and I am prepared!

It really is a gorgeous purple...the camera caught a little red flash there...in truth there are a few!
The colour is somewhere between the picture from Gary, and my picture...but his captures the facets like mine
doesn't!

26.gif

NightTimeAmethyst.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhh, it''s just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 4:35:16 PM
I took half a dozen pictures, but just this one is good - awful picture taking conditions!

It''s night time - I should have gone to the kitchen...hmmmm....there''s a thought now!

Blond day!

ETA

I''ll try in the morning, when it''s daylight - and I am prepared!

It really is a gorgeous purple...the camera caught a little red flash there...in truth there are a few!
The colour is somewhere between the picture from Gary, and my picture...but his captures the facets like mine
doesn''t!

26.gif
I REALLY like this picture!

LS

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 11:23:54 AM
*the purple has landed!* It is stunning!!

I just have to decide on a design now!

I have a trillion green amethyst (8mm) - a trillion danburite (7mm) - and have more or less decided on mostly polished
silver, with the purple bezel set in yellow gold.

I''m stuck as to which way up to have the purple - flat side uppermost, or point uppermost, and am thinking of
a slide and a fairly thick chain.

If the flat side sits upper, then how would another stone look below?

Or, as the consensus of opinion was, do a static setting, with the purple below, and another stone above, set
in white metal. Plain, simple...often the best.

I don''t want it right at my neck, so perhaps a 17'' ish chain...slide or bale?

Any other colour stones that would work with the purple?

I have a few pictures to garner some ideas from - perhaps the silversmith can add some input as well - any
pictures gratefully received!

26.gif
I don''t see a reason why you wouldn''t use another intense color with that amethyst. There are several stones which would look nice set in white metal and combined with it; without breaking the bank you could use rhodolite, blue tourmaline, tanzanite or even (hot) pink sapphire. As to how to set them, these are just some ideas:

Set opposite to eachother, pointing to different sides:
http://f5c.yahoofs.com/shopping/mcid18_136168/simg_t_t04476779000p04476779000hei150wid150op_sharpen1110?rm_____D235IKHeK

Pointing to the same side:
http://i.b5z.net/i/ui/4000124/i/WF4678P_triangular.jpg

They can also show something like a "figure 8", or both pointing down...choices are almost endless. You can even set them horizontally and get a slide pendant (but you''d need stones of the same size for that).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results