shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally! The BUBBLEGUM Ring!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, the stone for the bubblegum ring anyway.

This is the original thread for the bubblegum ring: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-stone-do-i-need.143386/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-stone-do-i-need.143386/[/URL] To summarize, I was looking to duplicate those little pot metal and plastic stone rings that came out of the machines when I was a kid. I thought they were the BEST :cheeky: thing ever. I will date myself by saying the were a nickel (!). Sometimes you can still find machines with them and they are now a quarter, but still way cool. I wanted to make it "real".

This is the red garnet that Barry wrote about in his October newsletter "During October I plan to introduce garnets of various colors ranging from orange to a nearly pure red" I emailed him and he wrote "I just cut it yesterday. It had a great deal of chromium in it and looked like a chrome pyrope from northern AZ under the Chelsea filter." I told him I was ready to buy it, but because he has so much integrity, he wrote back "I'm going to have to put this stone on the site on Wednesday. I've had several people ask about it and I'll get lynched if I sell it ahead of time." I have to say I wasn't too happy with him, :(( but I understood. I was purely lucky to get it, since others were trying.

The box photos are in incandescent and the hand shots are in sunlight. It does go dark in low light, but I have a tiny ruby and held the two stones together in low light and they both go out like someone flicked the switch to "off". I think the only way to have a red stone hold color in all lights is to have it be sleepy or go with a red fire opal.

It is indeed very red. :love: In incandescent it shows the slightest hint of orange and in sun a tiny touch of blue (like a Coke can red), and under those weird fluorescent bulbs it's autumn leaf orange. But it is as red as any stone I've seen. :appl:

A lot of people said this couldn't be done (pure red stone around $200) but as Barry wrote to me "One of the first things you learn at ISG is that in the world of gems, there are no absolutes."

redgarnet1lr.jpg

redgarnet2lr.jpg

redgarnet3lr.jpg

redgarnet4lr.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oh It is just wonderful!!!!!
You Found It!
Your Bubblegum Ring!
What a gorgeous glowy gem! :love: :love: :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous iLander! I'm jealous you got it!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice bright color! I like!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to see it set, congrats on your find!

Laura

Gempassion

Shiny_Rock
ilander,

What a beautiful red garnet! Congrats on finding it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you found the stone you were looking for-can't wait to see it set!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on finding the stone for you long-awaited ring! It looks beautiful and at a great price to boot.

I was just wondering, when you look at the stone from 2' away is the red color still apparent, or does it have to be tilted at a certain angle for the red to flash out? I've purchased (and returned) a couple of garnets that photographed as red (by the vendors and by me) but when they were out in real life it was red in flashes rather than just appearing red at all times.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very nice color!! Great garnet!

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy you found it. Congrats! Can't wait to see it set. The color is wonderful...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ooo~Shiney! said:
Oh It is just wonderful!!!!!
You Found It!
Your Bubblegum Ring!
What a gorgeous glowy gem! :love: :love: :love:

OOH-Shiney, you're so nice :saint: Thank you!

Yup, I'm pretty chuffed (my teenager says that means I'm happy) :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade said:
It's gorgeous iLander! I'm jealous you got it!

Oh, please! With that fabulous sapphire? Honey, I'm jealous of that gorgeous thing! :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock
RockHugger said:
Nice bright color! I like!

Thanks, RH, it is oddly bright for a garnet.

Largosmom said:
Can't wait to see it set, congrats on your find!

Laura

I'm just going to pop it into a little solitaire setting, not a biggie.

Gempassion said:
ilander,

What a beautiful red garnet! Congrats on finding it!

Thanks, GP, I had to bulldog it and I had almost given up!

packrat said:
Glad you found the stone you were looking for-can't wait to see it set!

I'm kind of excited, so I think I'll do it pretty soon, so I can finally wear it instead of the old toy bubblegum (fake) ring. I wear it around the house every now and then because the red cheers me up. :tongue:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
AustenNut said:
Congratulations on finding the stone for you long-awaited ring! It looks beautiful and at a great price to boot.

I was just wondering, when you look at the stone from 2' away is the red color still apparent, or does it have to be tilted at a certain angle for the red to flash out? I've purchased (and returned) a couple of garnets that photographed as red (by the vendors and by me) but when they were out in real life it was red in flashes rather than just appearing red at all times.

The body of the stone is actually red. I know what you mean, most garnets are brown or burgundy stones with red flashes, but this one just shows red. Dark red in low light, but no browns or black. If you look at the photos closely, you'll see the stone looks blurry even though the hand is in focus. That's what I call "Barryism" :D : his stones are so sparkly, you can't get a focus on the darn thing since it magnifies every twitch. But that really is the color, caused by all the extra chrome in this particular garnet.

Barry said the last time he had a garnet this size and color, he donated it to the University of Arizona. I hope they appreciate it over there! :|

iLander

Ideal_Rock
tourmaline_lover said:
That's a very nice color!! Great garnet!

Thanks, TL! If you say it's a very nice color, then I know it must be true!

Treenbean said:
I'm so happy you found it. Congrats! Can't wait to see it set. The color is wonderful...

Thanks, Treenbean, I appreciate you trying to "bird dog" ( :lol: avatar joke :lol: ) a stone for me, but this one was in process, so I couldn't pursue it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Geez, now what do I do? I came to PS just to find this particular stone, my "Rosebud" (movie reference). I found my long-dreamed of pearl necklace because of the pearl thread. PS has been very good to me. But . . .

Now what? Am I done? :shock:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Glad you found you stone, Ilander..well done!

I was wondering if you knew how Barry got his quantitive analysis to determine "extra chromium"/"great deal of chromium". Can he send you a copy or email a copy of the spectra to you by chance for posting? Would love to see it on a red garnet. I don't know much about chrome pyropes.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! :shock:

That is an awesome red - and a nice true red IMO. Totally worth the wait and I am excited to see your ring once it is finished. I think the idea is fantastic!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a truly spectacular red :love:

Red is my favourite colour, but I've never seen a red gemstone so bright and true to colour - I'm completely in love with your garnet!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone iLander, it's going to be a knockout ring!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Lovely! :appl: :love:

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By golly, I do believe you did it. For the price you paid, this is going to be as large and as red as anyone can possibly get in an untreated stone. Congrats! :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
amethystguy said:
Glad you found you stone, Ilander..well done!

I was wondering if you knew how Barry got his quantitive analysis to determine "extra chromium"/"great deal of chromium". Can he send you a copy or email a copy of the spectra to you by chance for posting? Would love to see it on a red garnet. I don't know much about chrome pyropes.

Thanks, AG! I don't know about a spectra, all I know is that this is what Barry said on the site "When I saw this garnet in the rough, I knew there was something special about it. Testing with a Chelsea filter showed it to have quite a bit of chromium, much like an Arizona chrome pyrope." Does that help any?

In RL it looks a lot like a ruby or a red spinel.

@ SPHENEQUEEN, YASIE, LG AND ARCADIAN: Thank you! :wavey: You guys are so nice! :praise:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
By golly, I do believe you did it. For the price you paid, this is going to be as large and as red as anyone can possibly get in an untreated stone. Congrats! :appl:

Thanks, Chrono! :wavey: I figured somebody in our amazing and talented group of PS vendors would come up with something eventually. . .

BTW; I have been drooling over your magnificent avatar, lovely!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy for you! It truly is a gorgeous red. Now I want to see what you do with it....

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone and color.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
iLander said:
AustenNut said:

The body of the stone is actually red. I know what you mean, most garnets are brown or burgundy stones with red flashes, but this one just shows red. Dark red in low light, but no browns or black. If you look at the photos closely, you'll see the stone looks blurry even though the hand is in focus. That's what I call "Barryism" :D : his stones are so sparkly, you can't get a focus on the darn thing since it magnifies every twitch. But that really is the color, caused by all the extra chrome in this particular garnet.

Barry said the last time he had a garnet this size and color, he donated it to the University of Arizona. I hope they appreciate it over there! :|

Ilander, you're so lucky! And you've given me hope that maybe I too can find a real red stone at a price that's not prohibitive!

babydoll_mini

Shiny_Rock
Dear, congratulation!!!
This is some gorgeous RED!!

ps, thank you for you recommendation in the other thread~
:wacko:

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is the color of red garnet that many of my customers request, unfortunately they are in small number, great find!
Barry is ISG, huh? I must know of him as I also studied there but am trying to place him. Best regards, Lee

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So vibrant and pretty!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results