shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally! I've got my own sapphire to show off

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
After joining PS two years ago to learn everything I needed to purchase a sapphire for my eventual engagement ring, I FINALLY have one to show you guys.

I was pretty sure I wanted something more medium colored, but after some failures and seeing lighter stones I took a chance with this dark blue, heat only, AGL certified sapphire from gemfix. It is dark, but not opaque, and the scintillation (bright blazes of blue) sold me hard.

It's 7 mm and I think just the right size for my hand! Ignore my grown out nail polish: I wanted pics.
DSCF2172.jpg
DSCF2173.jpg
DSCF2174.jpg
DSCF2180.jpg DSCF2188.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love that color what a beauty.

What are you planning to do with it?

Coco914

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful choice!! It's a nice size and I love the bright blue flashes of color... I know a lot of people favor lighter sapphires, but my personal preference is for medium/darks. Can't wait to see it set!! :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ahh it's absolutely perfect!!! I think it has the right amount of dark and the scintillation sounds amazing if you could ever capture it on film. can't wait for your finished ring!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks wonderful! I can't wait to see the completed ring.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! How are you planning to set it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! :love: I actually recently bought one almost exactly like it except a little smaller to fit in a ring!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, such a vivid dark lovely blue! Great size. I can't see the cut too well in the photos but you're sure to have gotten a good one from them. After searching so hard, it's great you found one that makes your heart sing! Tell us what you plan for it!!

--- Laurie

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
It is beautiful, and what a nice size! Gorgeous, I'm so happy you found "the sapphire"!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone. I've got plenty of ideas but the setting isn't finalized yet. I'll make sure to come back with the decision though!

JewelFreak|1334425834|3170979 said:
Oh, such a vivid dark lovely blue! Great size. I can't see the cut too well in the photos but you're sure to have gotten a good one from them. After searching so hard, it's great you found one that makes your heart sing! Tell us what you plan for it!!

--- Laurie

You are exactly right Laurie, I am still trying to capture the cut properly. These photos do show all of it's moods though :)

In the mean time, I can post the vendor photo:
sapphire_blue_976.jpg

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Congrats maebelle, it's a beautiful sapphire! I'm totally biased because I have one almost exactly like yours. (Mine's just a tad bigger at 7.5mm.) I really had my heart set on a round, and it was a harder search than say ovals or cushions. I adore the blue flashes on my sapphire too. Can't wait to see how you set it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
great purchase!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. Beautiful!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It must feel good to have found "the one!" Congrats - nice saturation.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Well you've certainly been patient (2 years!) but it's paid off in the end - lovely choice. Vivid and bright. Have you chosen a setting yet?

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Love the color :love:

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to this thread. I love the deep blue color. It's going to make a great ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your opinion of what you see versus the Gemfix picture? I think while the stone is dark, as you say, it isn't overly dark. There is still a lot of lively blue flashes and under some lighting conditions, the colour is delectable. Congrats on finding the right e-ring sapphire.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

Chrono, the stone at times can look like the Gemfix photo, but the reality of the stone is between the photo and the two pantone colors that they now list with new stones. I found that the base color of the stone is very close to those colors, and the flashes are very like the photo. It is a slightly awkward system, as I couldn't find a main repository of ALL pantone colors, but it was helpful to be able to type that into a search engine.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Vendor photo next to the two pantone colors the vendor provided (287 and 288C)... These seem brighter on screen than say... printed out. The darker of the two is pretty accurate.
gemfix_pantone_blues%20copy.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I gotta say, I love it! It has a dreamy, velvety quality that just seems to evoke an heirloom type feel, in my opinion at least.

I'm sure you'll find the perfect setting for that lovely!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the colour patches; they helped a lot for me to understand both Gemfix's photography as well as yours. Knowing this now, my guess is that the stone looks better IRL than your pictures.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I am planning on getting better pictures once it is set. Apparently once I get past the $200 price point I get WAY too nervous to manipulate stones for pictures, and I have yet to invest in gem pincers. :)

ColoredStonesLady

Rough_Rock
Wow, 2years - you have amazing patience! The sapphire is a dreamy blue and looks very striking on your hand!!! I originally went looking for a very light sapphire, only to find they looked terrible on me. :shock: Ditto for the darker "top color" ones! I think you can't go wrong with a sapphire that looks great on your hand - and this one sure does!!

How do you plan to set it? Can't wait to see the photos!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful color for sure. Congrats on finding the one!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
Just saw this thread, maebelle the sapphire looks amazing! Can't wait to see the finished product!:)

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks snoopkat! We're going with the Brian Gavin crossed trellis three stone with .15 ct side stones. I wanted the sapphire to be the star of the show but couldn't find a non-three stone I liked as much as this:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/crossed-trellis-18k-white-gold-5460w18

I can't ship my stone for a couple of weeks though, so we're looking at mid-june before I get it back!

and also: The best shot I've gotten of the startling blue this stone can be: It goes between this and the fourth photo from the first post
DSCF2202.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Will that trellis setting fit the proportions you want?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results