shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally getting engaged after nearly 10 years! Find me a 1ct round?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS lovelies... my bff is finally getting engaged after waiting 9 years! I could cry for happiness for her! She told me a couple years ago “I just don’t think marriage is in the cards for us”. Despite her dearest wishes, her boyfriend wasn’t wanting to get married. Well, he’s FINALLY on board but still kind of dragging his heels. I’m a good friend and I love bling so my gal pal has told him, “Talk to Pearaffair”. But my knowledge is not as good as all of yours. I would love love love your help on this one!

I want to send this guy (whom I love! He’s the best bf you could wish a friend to have! Except the lack of proposing, which he’s about to fix) - anyways, I want to send him some diamond options. Like most guys he has never shopped for jewellery. And he hates shopping. I would be so sad if he went to a brick and mortar establishment to make the purchase, because we all know that there’s a big markup. Anyways.

If you could help me find a stone that I could link him to, I would be *so* appreciative. And I promise to update this thread with photos one day!

He knows she loves big diamond solitaires. I don’t think he’d want to pay for more than 1ct, and I know she’d be really pleased with that size. It will be set in white gold or platinum.

The hunt:

Round
0.90-1ct
“I” colour or higher
Eye clean
Excellent cut
NOT a superideal - she is too sentimental to upgrade and also large diamond size is a strong preference here.
Personally I have a slight preference for James Allen, in terms of affordability and ease of website use.

If you find anything, thank you so much! He hasn’t told me a budget, so let’s just try and get him the best deal we can :)

Also... I feel like you’re involved in this saga now... my friend’s Mom has terminal cancer and I think that’s why her bf is willing to get married. It’s such a devastating situation and I want to do everyhing I can to shine some happiness on the good parts of the equation. In addition, this friend of mine is so incredible. She did my hair for my wedding and despite the fact that I had a super small wedding with no bridesmaids etc, she took it upon herself to plan me a bridal shower, she ran errands that needing running on the day of the wedding, and she showed up with Advil, bobby pins, safety pins, chapstick, moleskin (to protect feet from blisters), bandaids, mints, and who knows what else. She came up to me and showed me this haul and was like, “Just so you know, I have all this in case you need something.” What an angel!!! She made my day so perfect.

I’m rambling but what I mean to convey is that she’s a really incredible person to have gone to such trouble to make sure my day was perfect, and she NEVER threw any shade my way despite the fact that I got married after 2 years of dating my guy and here she is coming up to year 9. She is THE BEST and I can never repay her for her kindness but I’m sure gonna try! Thanks in advance for your help!

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Why are you getting "involved" with this? Hope they pick a date...and follow through!

FM

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are you getting "involved" with this? Hope they pick a date...and follow through!

FM

Sorry for not being clear! My friend has asked me to help her boyfriend (and he knows that she has told me to help him) and her boyfriend texted me tonight for me to send him the pic of a solitaire that my friend had showed him off my Instagram feed. He hasn’t said to me, “Hey Pearaffair, can you send me some diamond options?” But my assistance has been broadly requested and I’m hoping to kindly and helpfully steer him in the right direction :)

Does that make sense, or does it seem like I’m just meddling?

PS - thanks for the well wishes! I think it’s will happen for them :)
He told her to start looking at venues and she was like... *holding up her hand* uhmmm maybe once you put a ring on it! :D

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I’m hoping to give him a sense of the value he can get online. I think maybe not everyone knows that you can have major savings buying from an online retailer vs IRL?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to say that you're doing a lovely thing to help out your friend :) I'm sure you will find something wonderful for her

Thanks!! As you can tell, it’s means so much to me all the things my my friend did to celebrate my time to be married. I just want to do my best for her :)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's very sweet @pearaffair ! Your friend sounds amazing and I am glad she has you helping her boyfriend along :)

I would suggest though to lay off showing him different diamond options first. Since he's been dragging his feet it might be a bit overwhelming to see all these diamond options from the get-go. Maybe a casual suggestion like "By the way, we saved so much buying from this jeweler online than (insert chain brand store) who wanted x% more for the same thing. Let me know if you are interested and I can hook you up" that kinda thing. Can't wait to see what the e-ring will look like! =)2

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without a budget I don’t have much to go on. is he expecting 1k usd? 3k usd? 6k usd?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's very sweet @pearaffair ! Your friend sounds amazing and I am glad she has you helping her boyfriend along :)I

I would suggest though to lay off showing him different diamond options first. Since he's been dragging his feet it might be a bit overwhelming to see all these diamond options from the get-go. Maybe a casual suggestion like "By the way, we saved so much buying from this jeweler online than (insert chain brand store) who wanted x% more for the same thing. Let me know if you are interested and I can hook you up" that kinda thing. Can't wait to see what the e-ring will look like! =)2

Probably a good idea... agh I’m just fallin all over myself wanting to help, and he’s maybe not the type to ask for assistance... but I need to know my place ;-)

I’ll do a gentle suggestion like you say.

Without a budget I don’t have much to go on. is he expecting 1k usd? 3k usd? 6k usd?

So true! I think I probably need to wait *sigh* but it is SO HARD. My friend asked me to send him pics a week ago and I told her that I didn’t want to overstep, so it’s exciting that he asked for pics last night.

If I had to guess, maybe $5kUSD but really I have to admit I have no idea :D

But I’ll keep you posted!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all I said: “Www.jamesallen.com offers good value. Anyways I’m here if you need anything!”

I’ll report back if he seeks my assistance further :)

BrimstoneTwo

Shiny_Rock
I hope he takes you up on the offer to help. I tried to help my bestie’s fiancé but he chickens out and went to a B&M store. Ah well. I tried!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is all I said: “Www.jamesallen.com offers good value. Anyways I’m here if you need anything!”

I’ll report back if he seeks my assistance further :)
Since he's hesitant/uneducated about buying diamonds, he might appreciate a bit more. Maybe something like "You know I'm so excited for you guys. And I also know buying a diamond can be overwhelming. I'm here to help if you want it. I'd just need to know your budget range and 4C preferences and I could take care of finding the best out there for you. No pressure to accept my help; I just don't want you to feel a lot of stress over this purchase. I have "bling friends" who love to hunt for the best diamonds at the best prices so they'd love the challenge - lol. Anyway, let me know if I can help in any way!"

And I'm sure he'd appreciate the heads up about BG today too!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He texted you asking for the picture, right? Did you send it? Maybe just say you can help him get the most for his budget (don’t go to a chain store) and to let you know if he wants any help.
Then......just leave it in his court. I know it bums out PS folks if people overpay for a less than stellar product, but that’s really besides the point. The only thing that really matters is the marriage, and not the wedding or how much “bang for the buck” he got for the ring. Hopefully he’ll reach out to you; but, if he doesn’t, it’s his engagement. I’m sry her mom is ill. That’s a very tough situation. Hopefully he’s not feeling pressured just bc of that. Nine years is a long time.. xx

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey PearlAffair....thanks for clarifying your part in all of this. Perhaps your girl friend should send you photos of rings she likes since she is in on this. Have her narrow her preferences to only 3. ( easier to manage) . Then "price" them out with a couple of different sized stones. ( i would definitely shoot for 1 carat). Present them to him...and perhaps encourage him to discuss the options with his girlfriend since the 3 of you are in cahoots.

My hubby purchased my pear solitaire online 15 years ago. He did a great job and I love my ring, no way was he going to trot allover the place SHOPPING for a ring. He hates to shop except online. i told him what I wanted...he did the rest. Happy ending!

Good luck!@FM

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are the best and you’re advice is spot on!

I have a new development! He messaged me just now and asked what a good price for a 0.66ct diamond would be... I’m going to ask him what colour he had in mind, but in the meantime I’m going to look for an I SI1 and you can feel free to do the same :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope he takes you up on the offer to help. I tried to help my bestie’s fiancé but he chickens out and went to a B&M store. Ah well. I tried!

All we can do is try!

Since he's hesitant/uneducated about buying diamonds, he might appreciate a bit more. Maybe something like "You know I'm so excited for you guys. And I also know buying a diamond can be overwhelming. I'm here to help if you want it. I'd just need to know your budget range and 4C preferences and I could take care of finding the best out there for you. No pressure to accept my help; I just don't want you to feel a lot of stress over this purchase. I have "bling friends" who love to hunt for the best diamonds at the best prices so they'd love the challenge - lol. Anyway, let me know if I can help in any way!"

And I'm sure he'd appreciate the heads up about BG today too!

Your advice is so good... that in fact I have said something quite similar to him in the past :D (at my gal pal’s suggestion). Yep!

He texted you asking for the picture, right? Did you send it? Maybe just say you can help him get the most for his budget (don’t go to a chain store) and to let you know if he wants any help.
Then......just leave it in his court. I know it bums out PS folks if people overpay for a less than stellar product, but that’s really besides the point. The only thing that really matters is the marriage, and not the wedding or how much “bang for the buck” he got for the ring. Hopefully he’ll reach out to you; but, if he doesn’t, it’s his engagement. I’m sry her mom is ill. That’s a very tough situation. Hopefully he’s not feeling pressured just bc of that. Nine years is a long time.. xx

Yes! I did spend pics :)
My friend likes the Briliant Earth Catalina 6-prong setting.

You’re so right. It’s hard to not want to help them get the best bang for the buck but in the end it’s only the marriage that matters. She would say yes to a piece of string but this girl deserves the moon!!

He’s the kind of guy that needs a bit if s push sometimes. And they’re such a great couple. So as much as the situation is very sad (thanks for your condolences) no one is worried about him feeling pressured. It was his idea! :)

Hey PearlAffair....thanks for clarifying your part in all of this. Perhaps your girl friend should send you photos of rings she likes since she is in on this. Have her narrow her preferences to only 3. ( easier to manage) . Then "price" them out with a couple of different sized stones. ( i would definitely shoot for 1 carat). Present them to him...and perhaps encourage him to discuss the options with his girlfriend since the 3 of you are in cahoots.

My hubby purchased my pear solitaire online 15 years ago. He did a great job and I love my ring, no way was he going to trot allover the place SHOPPING for a ring. He hates to shop except online. i told him what I wanted...he did the rest. Happy ending!

Good luck!@FM

She definitely wants a solitaire. Skinny band, big rock. Platinum preferred. Aside from that I don’t think she has a strong preference.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok real time play by play - he is looking for a 0.66ct H or I colour, VS1, perfect cut.

I’m thinking of showing him one or two James Allen, and maybe a white flash or CBI? Ahhh I don’t want to scare him off but I totally think he could go down a bit in clarity and up a bit in size.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS I don’t know as much about Brian Gauvin but if they’re having a sale...

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok real time play by play - he is looking for a 0.66ct H or I colour, VS1, perfect cut.

I’m thinking of showing him one or two James Allen, and maybe a white flash or CBI? Ahhh I don’t want to scare him off but I totally think he could go down a bit in clarity and up a bit in size.
Given how long it’s taken for him to get this far, and that he hasn’t asked to be educated, I’d say show him the best of what he wants. An H/VS1 excellent cut will make them both happy. So yes, check BG’s sale and also WF.

Have fun hunting!!! :appl:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given how long it’s taken for him to get this far, and that he hasn’t asked to be educated, I’d say show him the best of what he wants. An H/VS1 excellent cut will make them both happy. So yes, check BG’s sale and also WF.

Have fun hunting!!! :appl:

Yeah, that makes sense!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair , is there a reason why he wants a 0.66 carat? Does he know that his girlfriend would like something closer to 1 carat?
@pearaffair - Along these lines and with your desire to offer more options, maybe give him the best diamond for the H/VS1 .66 criteria but follow it up with “Just in case you’d consider it, here’s an I/VS2 for the same price but X larger”.

Just a thought!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Building on what @ILikeShiny said, if you are up for suggesting a bigger diamond, perhaps tell him why too I.e. your girlfriend has said she likes a large stone and I think this might hit the spot for both your budget and her wants etc. I find most times men don't really read between the lines or take hints so the easiest is just to be direct!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair , is there a reason why he wants a 0.66 carat? Does he know that his girlfriend would like something closer to 1 carat?

Yeah he does! So I have no idea where he got this 0.66ct idea from... I’m trying to not be too nosy. My best guess is that he found a 0.66ct in a brick and mortar store and is wondering if it’s a good price. He’s kind of secretive though, so I have no idea!

A manicure is the perfect gift! Gets her hands all beautified to show off her new sparkle. How thoughtful =)2

:D I like the idea, too. I just have to secretly find out the name of the place she goes each week... or maybe send her to a really nice place?

@pearaffair - Along these lines and with your desire to offer more options, maybe give him the best diamond for the H/VS1 .66 criteria but follow it up with “Just in case you’d consider it, here’s an I/VS2 for the same price but X larger”.

Just a thought!

I think that’s a great idea.

Building on what @ILikeShiny said, if you are up for suggesting a bigger diamond, perhaps tell him why too I.e. your girlfriend has said she likes a large stone and I think this might hit the spot for both your budget and her wants etc. I find most times men don't really read between the lines or take hints so the easiest is just to be direct!

Agh you are so right! Many tines guys do not read between the lines!

Thank you for posting, but she definitely wants a round. :)

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the challenge in answering his question, is that you are comparing unknown to GIA XXX PS standards. But, here are a few comps using TrueHearts that have IS to review them.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...d-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2485776 {gorgeous D color with lovely IS and great angles, $2920}
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3694286 {lovely H VS1, 0.7, $3160}
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3694272 {another great H VS1, $3210}

So, then I asked what would be the biggest diamond I could find for $3250...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3694277
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3694272
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3855521.htm***

:mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results