shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally engaged! Need help ring-shopping...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

myrtlewinston

Rough_Rock
I have $50,000 - $65,000 to spend (been saving for a while). What quality and size should I be able to get for my budget? I''d like a 3.5+ carat, deal-cut round, set in an eternity band. Another candidate is the Tiffany Legacy. Thanks!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
do you live in houston by any chance?

myrtlewinston

Rough_Rock
No, New York. So, I''d like some info before scoping out 47th St.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Quickest and easiest way it to just do a search on this site. Go up to the top of the page, and under prices, click the "price comparison" link. Then just play around and see what you''re comfortable with.

Your only problem is going to be inventory. There just simply aren''t going to be as many stones in the 3+ carat range as there are in the less than 2 carat range.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, that stone is gorgeous!! Wowza, great arrow pattern and a big G VS2!!!

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
If you''re going to the diamond distric, you should call Mark at Engagement Rings direct. He is highly recommended on these boards.

myrtlewinston

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

I''ve been looking at a 3.46 ct, round, ideal-cut, H, VS2. It''s around $51k. Does it seem like a fair price?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2006 1:47:17 PM
Author: myrtlewinston
Thanks everyone.

I''ve been looking at a 3.46 ct, round, ideal-cut, H, VS2. It''s around $51k. Does it seem like a fair price?
depending on the cut quality. which lab graded the stone? more infor would help.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 3:14:01 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 6/10/2006 1:47:17 PM
Thanks everyone.

depending on the cut quality. which lab graded the stone? more infor would help.
2.gif
Ditto, get us as much info as you can. Especially the lab, crown and paviliion angles.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Hello To a Fellow NY''er

Congrats on your engagement. What I did was do all of my research on here, I had an appt with a private seller so I can see what some of the stats I was interest in looked like in person but I bought online to save on tax. I went with Whiteflash and also had them custom make my setting.

IF I didn''t do that I would have gone over to GOG or met up with a man I heard of in NYC named Frankl Pollack (of Frank Pollack and Sons). You can google him.

Good luck with your search. You have an amazing budget and I am so sure you will get your dream ring!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 5:34:27 PM
Author: codex57
Quickest and easiest way it to just do a search on this site. Go up to the top of the page, and under prices, click the ''price comparison'' link. Then just play around and see what you''re comfortable with.

Your only problem is going to be inventory. There just simply aren''t going to be as many stones in the 3+ carat range as there are in the less than 2 carat range.
Is it really that difficult to find stones in that range? There is always a market, granted not as large as the one for smaller stones. Aren''t there vendors that deal in larger stones? So, where do all the honkers come from we see on celebrities and the such? Just curious, larger stones have to be out there, don''t they!? Are ideal cuts found in that size range?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 1:26:36 AM
Author: kcoursolle
Gypsy, that stone is gorgeous!! Wowza, great arrow pattern and a big G VS2!!!

I know, huh? It''s smaller than MW wants, but I thought it was so stunning that I should post it.

myrtlewinston

Rough_Rock
GIA-graded:

Carat weight - 3.46
Cut - ideal
Color - H
Clarity - VS2
Depth - 59.9%
Table - 59%
Symmetry - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Girdle- Thin to medium, faceted
Culet - None
Flourescence - None

Thank you again, everyone!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
MW,
The table is a little large for my taste. Personally, I like a depth around 60% and a table around 55-56%, but some like larger tables. Also, some crown and pavilian angles would help a bit too so that we could calculate the light return on the HCA.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 4:58:59 PM
Author: ladykemma

That was going to be my question too.

When we went to Kaufmann de Suisse, I saw a ton of really huge stones. I was asking myself WHO was buying all of these things. They didn''t have anything smaller than 3 carats, at least not that I saw.

myrtlewinston

Rough_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2006 5:02:39 PM
Author: Allisonfaye

Date: 6/9/2006 4:58:59 PM
Author: ladykemma

That was going to be my question too.

When we went to Kaufmann de Suisse, I saw a ton of really huge stones. I was asking myself WHO was buying all of these things. They didn''t have anything smaller than 3 carats, at least not that I saw.

I just went to thier website. And okay.. we have some people on here with serious rocks... but for they are tasteful boulders and very elegant (IMO)... and those were just.... Yuck. Sorry if that offends... but the settings were just horrible and huge and gaudy, and so bulky.
38.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2006 5:18:09 PM
I saw that too. Is the difference in polish an issue?
the difference between vg and ex polish usually not noticeable to the naked eye and has no effect on the performance. it's a non-issue.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
are these diamonds inhouse?
20.gif
if i was laying $50+k on the table,i want all the infor available ,I-scope,sarin,H&A picture and BLOOD TEST !!!

f4fred

Rough_Rock
Heya,

My suggestion would be to find a dealer and cutter who could create a diamond to your spec. I highly recommend Wink Jones (www.winfields.com) who supplies Infinity Diamonds (www.infinitydiamonds.be). Paul at Infinity produces amazingly consistent super-ideal cut stones - he might be able to purchase rough and cut a stone to meet your needs. I went to Antwerp and met with him and can personally atest to his genius technical skills and great generousity. EVERY stone that I saw was out-of-this-world and better than many H&A stones I had seen at B&M stores and online as well - just my experience.

F

myrtlewinston

Rough_Rock
What about symmetry?

Thanks again, everyone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2006 4:56:55 PM
What about symmetry?

Thanks again, everyone.
You want at least very good to excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results