shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally Decided on a Ring - Any thoughts?

dmattran

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Luckily, I came across this site before purchasing a diamond, but here is what I decided on:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2676035.htm

http://www.markschneiderdesign.com/engagement-rings/contemporary-engagement-rings/enchantment-engagement-ring

I learned a lot from this site and jewelers in a short period of time and I eventually went to Whiteflash to see the diamonds in person (live close to Sugarland), which made all the difference and made me realize how different their Expert Selection diamonds were compared to local jewelers, both in quality and price. I decided on this 1.256 instead of the 1.356 based on a combination of things, but I am not sure I made the right decision.

Before I get this stone set, I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions, comments, or recommendations. Look forward to hearing from many of the experts on this site!

Thanks,
DM

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H, VS2 is a great combo to me, especially in a round! Did WF look over the inclusions and make sure they were all eye clean. Usually they are at a VS2 but doesnt hurt to check. Plus you get time to look it over if you dont like it, which i cant imagine. I think its great. That setting is very unique, did your girlfriend pick it out herself?

ETA wait, is that link to your diamond, because that takes me to a >2 ct and didnt you say you got a 1.25?

If you did pick a 1.25 I probably would have done the same, prices just quite a lot at that ct weight and if you wanted to keep it at the same color and clarity then you were smart to give up the diameter. the difference between a .7 and a .8 is much different than a 1.2 and a 1.3

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky you to be able to go to WF to see the diamonds in person! But the link must be wrong if you bought a 1.25!

Did your gf pick out that setting?

dmattran

Rough_Rock
Ah, good catch guys, thanks for the heads up! I fixed the link, but here is what I got:

To answer both of your questions, no, she did not pick it out, and prob never would because of price, plus they are hard to find. She really likes unique things and I was set on a radiant diamond in the beginning because she said she doesn't like round stones, but I believe that was because they were solitaires. With that said, I think she will love this as it is very unique and "flowly", but if she doesn't, I would be 100% happy to go back and get her whatever she wants because she deserves it having to put up with me.

As a side note, I plan to ask her in Paris after we spend NYE in London.

Thanks for the comments!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm.
So she herself has taken back the comment about not wanting a round stone?Because if she hasn't then I might be wary of buying he one.
Have you at all looked at good old gold? They have a lot of unique cuts that aren't round. Or even a round one that is unique!
That setting is VERY unique. It really has to be someone with particular taste. You said she likes unique things. In what way? Vintage? Modern? Quirky?

I don't want to throw a wrench in your system, because you are on the right track!! But if she loves unique I just had to post this. Just about the most fabulous ring I ever saw by VC !!
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/153ct-Light-Yellow-Diamond/23766473_sJGvT3#!i=1925146479&k=JZwDFCN

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh...she said she didn't want a round stone???

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, honesty time here. I do not like that setting at all, and unless she picked it out herself, I would never, ever choose something that unusual for a surprise e-ring. The very best option is to have that diamond set in a plain setting for the proposal, and after you propose, you can tell her the setting is temporary and you want her to choose the setting she loves the most. That is an expensive setting, and it is very unlikely you could return it for cash back. I would really recommend not doing that and just getting WF to set the diamond in one of their simple solitaires for the proposal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dmattran|1354937089|3325980 said:
Ah, good catch guys, thanks for the heads up! I fixed the link, but here is what I got:

To answer both of your questions, no, she did not pick it out, and prob never would because of price, plus they are hard to find. She really likes unique things and I was set on a radiant diamond in the beginning because she said she doesn't like round stones, but I believe that was because they were solitaires. With that said, I think she will love this as it is very unique and "flowly", but if she doesn't, I would be 100% happy to go back and get her whatever she wants because she deserves it having to put up with me.

Thanks for the comments!

Yes I had also asked about the setting. This comment was what I was talking about

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1354940857|3326023 said:
dmattran|1354937089|3325980 said:

Thanks for the comments!

Yes I had also asked about the setting. This comment was what I was talking about

So sorry...I went back and reread...she didn't want a round and she did not pick out this unusual setting. So this doesn't seem like a good decision to me!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't get her that stone unless she specifically took back her previous statement about not liking rounds. If she has expressed to you that she doesn't have any idea in a setting and wants you to pick it out, I would suggest the VC. But I am partial because I think that ring is to die for. Victor Canara makes just masterpieces. Plus some people are worry about the karma of a used ring. But I would bet a lot of money that isn't have a sad story behind it. Someone is just selling to get a bigger stone. Polish it up it would looks brand new.

The other option is to propose and let her pick, if you think she is that unique and has a vision if her ring.

And yeah I agree with DS. beautiful stone, but doesn't sound like the right one for your GF maybe

dmattran

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's opinion! We'll just have to wait and see and if she doesn't love it, we recycle. No problem!

As for the round stone, she mentioned she doesn't like round in solitaire type settings, so I took a shot. I think she'll love it, but may be wrong!!!

Again, I appreciate everyone's opinions!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well she is your SO so you probably know her best. But I know I'd I told my SO that all I wanted was not a round and I got a round I would be disappointed.

Good luck with your proposal :wavey:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond you've selected looks wonderful - good choice for a beautiful MRB!

However... and I guess I'm siding with DS on this, if your GF mentioned she preferred radiants AND because that RB setting is so unique and contemporary... I just have a little alarm bell going off in my head. Do you think you could just spend some time cruising either mall stores or websites and just browsing different MRB settings w your gf to set a sense of what unique designs she does enjoy? You could also just go and "Google images" for contemporary diamond solitaires.

Yes, you said you recycle (WOO HOO to you two!!), but it would be more cost effective to get it right initially and another thing - - - some women are pretty sentimental about the original proposal engagement ring.

All that could just be smoke in the wind.... you know your girlfriend the best - so go with your gut on this!

Have a great trip to London and Paris over the holidays!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1354972693|3326126 said:
The diamond you've selected looks wonderful - good choice for a beautiful MRB!

However... and I guess I'm siding with DS on this, if your GF mentioned she preferred radiants AND because that RB setting is so unique and contemporary... I just have a little alarm bell going off in my head. Do you think you could just spend some time cruising either mall stores or websites and just browsing different MRB settings w your gf to set a sense of what unique designs she does enjoy? You could also just go and "Google images" for contemporary diamond solitaires.

Yes, you said you recycle (WOO HOO to you two!!), but it would be more cost effective to get it right initially and another thing - - - some women are pretty sentimental about the original proposal engagement ring.

All that could just be smoke in the wind.... you know your girlfriend the best - so go with your gut on this!

Have a great trip to London and Paris over the holidays!!

I agree completely. I would have been a bit annoyed with my (now) husband if he hadn't actually LISTENED to the preferences I clearly stated. It sort of ruins the moment. "Will you marry me?" Opens box. Ring that you don't love...and he knows you wouldn't love. :nono:

And I'm 100% with DS's honesty. I find that style of ring unappealing, and I can't think of anyone else who has a ring similar. I don't think it would appeal to a large number of women, which is a concern. Unless your SO pointed at a similar ring and said she liked it, I suspect it will fall flat. I really don't want to see that happen to any man. I think you should seriously reconsider this plan.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to agree with the others. You of course know her best, but I don't envy any man in a position of finding something 'unique' for their future fiance. Both the ring that you linked and the neilseel linked are unique, however one is more contemporary and the other more antique, yet both unique. I could link examples all day long of rings that are unique and it's likely that most would agree however we would all have different opinions of their beauty. If you don't have a clear impression of what your future fiance would consider BOTH unique and beautiful, then I would advise going the route that DS suggested and propose with a simple solitaire setting. Spend a couple days shopping in Paris after the proposal for a truly stunning setting that she adores, what could be more romantic than that?

If you decide to purchase the MRB from WF, I would also be sure to propose before the end of the return period. It may be that she simply doesn't like a round in a solitaire setting, but it may also be that she finds them too common since she seems to prefer unique styles.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1354982869|3326218 said:
Yeah, I have to agree with the others. You of course know her best, but I don't envy any man in a position of finding something 'unique' for their future fiance. Both the ring that you linked and the neilseel linked are unique, however one is more contemporary and the other more antique, yet both unique. I could link examples all day long of rings that are unique and it's likely that most would agree however we would all have different opinions of their beauty. If you don't have a clear impression of what your future fiance would consider BOTH unique and beautiful, then I would advise going the route that DS suggested and propose with a simple solitaire setting. Spend a couple days shopping in Paris after the proposal for a truly stunning setting that she adores, what could be more romantic than that?

If you decide to purchase the MRB from WF, I would also be sure to propose before the end of the return period. It may be that she simply doesn't like a round in a solitaire setting, but it may also be that she finds them too common since she seems to prefer unique styles.

Yes I was jsut posting that ring because its a great find and very unique. but my overall point is that ESPECIALLY if she likes unique things, you have to be careful of what you buy her. if she liked just anything then you could get her any stone or setting, but if she has a specific style or specific taste then I wouldnt want to her her something without more input. Because you buy her it and she doesnt like it then she might feel like she is letting you down by wanting to change it. Or if thats not the case, she might want to change it and then you have to wait another 4 weeks before she gets to wear it. And believe me a gal wants to wear her rings ASAP. :bigsmile:

Maybe see her ideas about shapes, colors, settings, etc. She might want a brown EW setting marquise, unique is such a vague category its hard to say what about the ring she wants to be different than others.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto everyone above. If she said she doesn't like a round stone and you get her a round stone, she is going to be pissed that you did the opposite of what she said. And here's the kicker - she probably won't tell you. No matter how many times you ask, she is probably going to tell you she loves the ring no matter how she actually feels about it, because she loves YOU and wants to love the ring and doesn't want to hurt you. So... idk. I guess it's your call, but as a girl, I would be very cautious.

If you are going to go ahead with this plan, make sure the diamond AND setting are returnable and propose within the return period.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Add another voice to the chorus, because while I think you've put together a great ring, I think it suits a particular taste.

Yours.

It may be yours in the service of hers, but that doesn't make it hers, if that makes sense. Look, when I was pregnant, I was talking to my husband about presents to mark the occasion, and I said, maybe a classic watch, something I could pass on to the baby at a milestone moment - when he graduated high school, or turned 21, maybe at his wedding.

I was thinking a vintage Cartier, or something.

My husband heard the words coming out of my mouth and thought, "Bingo!"

steampunk_watch.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not making fun of my husband, here - I thought it was really sweet! But it did serve to illustrate how people can have completely different aesthetics, influenced by everything from age and gender to personal perception.

Gender's a biggy, though - Mark Schneider and tension-set are two styles that men seem to really adore. Some women, too, but it's almost a given that men will think the former are awesome while with women it's harder to accurately predict. Combine that with the fact that she explicitly said she thought rounds were boring ... I'd back it up a step.

I think the ring NS chose is gorgeous - though, again, hard to peg as her taste if "unique" is the best you have to go on.

My advice? Pick something unusual like a gorgeous cushion that fits the only thing you know she's actually concrete on - shape. Pick one with blue fluor if you want unique, 'cause it's a really cool detail, but a subtle one. Put it in a less expensive, non-designer, unusual setting - a bezel, or something. And then give her express permission, and, in fact, preference, for you guys learning about one another's taste in picking something together.

'Cause, honestly? Even knowing that my husband is generous, open-hearted, and made of Teflon and rubber when it comes to his taste, I still felt bad breaking it to him about the watch.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the setting you picked and think it will be a gorgeous ring, unless of course she doesn't like round stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results