shape
carat
color
clarity

Final tips and pointers for diamond selection

VJ020

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking on this forum and researching as much diamond information as possible for the past month. Thank you for all the knowledge you, and all that this forum has shared.

With a budget of <6500CAD, ideally between 1.51-1.69 carat, Color I or higher, and SI1 or better - I have narrowed down my search of lab diamonds to the following three selections because they conform to the super ideal cut proportions across 5 different sources. That is:

Table 55-57%
Depth 60-62%
Girdle Thin to Slightly Thick
Crown 34-34.9 degrees
Pavilion 40.7-41 degrees

With these proportions in mind, I opted for lab diamonds that had GCAL reports because it allows me to further analyze the optical brilliance report and H&A. Unfortunately, I've noted that only 2/3 of the diamonds that I've chosen did not have a H&A diagram (Q: why does it seem GCAL provide H&A reports at random?). As these are online diamonds, I will not be able to analyze them using ASET or Ideal scope. Quite shockingly, none of the local brick and mortar stores here where I live even know about these scopes!

Here are my choices ranked from Highest to lowest:

Top rank: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=292730006

Second rank: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=282840117

Lowest rank: https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=283110143

If possible, could you kindly share any tips and pointers based on your experience what you think of these diamonds, and which one will most likely have the best balance of fire and brilliance?

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with your ranking. 2/3 did not have the hearts and arrows because their optical symmetry did not qualify them as a hearts and arrows cut.
it would be very helpful to see a video of the actual diamond. I don’t think you’ll have any color or clarity issues in your selection.
You may want to request this thread be moved to the lab made Diamonds section, as we aren’t supposed to discuss lab diamonds in RockyTalk.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI...We have a lab-created forum and I've requested that this thread be moved.

Agree with your Top-rated number 1 stone is the best. I might swap 2 and 3 positions. Due to the low pavilion on number 2 (40.4). Anyway,
the combo of low crown/low pavilion probably wont get you what you want. Number 1 looks good though.

Lab forum in case you are looking for it...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the one you rated as your top choice. I think it's beautiful!

VJ020

Rough_Rock
I agree with your ranking. 2/3 did not have the hearts and arrows because their optical symmetry did not qualify them as a hearts and arrows cut.
it would be very helpful to see a video of the actual diamond. I don’t think you’ll have any color or clarity issues in your selection.
You may want to request this thread be moved to the lab made Diamonds section, as we aren’t supposed to discuss lab diamonds in RockyTalk.

Thank you sincerely for the encouraging words.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum! Admin, please move this thread to the lab made section.

I am a bit concerned about VS2 inclusion for my top choice diamond because it appears to be a few black crystal, most notably the one in the table. From your experiences, will these inclusions affect the diamond a lot? I'm placing my bets on the brilliance to take care of and hide the inclusions, but I have no experience with diamonds at all because this is my very first purchase!

pic2.png pic1.png

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you sincerely for the encouraging words.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum! Admin, please move this thread to the lab made section.

I am a bit concerned about VS2 inclusion for my top choice diamond because it appears to be a few black crystal, most notably the one in the table. From your experiences, will these inclusions affect the diamond a lot? I'm placing my bets on the brilliance to take care of and hide the inclusions, but I have no experience with diamonds at all because this is my very first purchase!

pic2.png pic1.png

I understand your concern, especially since it’s on the table. Can you ask the vendor if it’s eye clean? Perhaps see if they can send it to you loose to see for yourself. I know it’s will slow down the process of getting a completed ring, but I think a vendor would much rather take a return on a loose stone than a completed ring.
I will be honest- a month ago, I would have been way more concerned about that inclusion, but I recently purchased an SI1 and was surprised at how the inclusions just disappear with the sparkle. The pictures are blown up huge, especially if you’re looking at them on a computer monitor- though it’s smart to avoid inclusions that would impact durability, or are on the table, or big carbon spots, most specs and small clear feathers will not be nearly as apparent in person.

Mavimaui

Rough_Rock
newbie here, but it looks like #1 is a good pick numbers wise - where did you find these stones? I would like to explore the possibility of going the MMD route but don’t know what vendors are more reputable for GCAL stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results