shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiji resorts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello traveling PSers!

I posted awhile back asking for advice on south pacific islands and new zealand for our honeymoon. We wanted to go somewhere smaller/more remote than Fiji at first (Moorea, Bora Bora, etc.), but flights were a lot cheaper (and shorter!) going to Fiji... so Fiji it is! (Can't complain!) We'll be there for only 3 days, and figured staying in the Mamanuca or Yasawa island chains might be best for our purposes, since they are closest to Nadi (the airport).

We'll be in Fiji for 3 days/nights (arriving at 5:10 am on a Tuesday--ouch!) and looking, probably, for the more 'budget' options (as we'll be following those 3 days with 2 weeks in New Zealand!). I have never, ever been there so I've been trying to rely on tripadvisor for resort recs--but of course I feel like I 'know' my PSers so I'd rather get recommendations from you all
1.gif

This is the list that we came up with from tripadvisor... thoughts on these resorts, or recommendations for completely different places? We found the three different price points so that we'd be able to figure out the main trip's expenses, then choose--as the estimate budget is pretty tight!

Navutu Starts Resort: $529/night
Malolo Island Resort: $373/night
Nanuya Island Resort: $240/night

Of course the $1000+/night places just look absolutely yummy... if only!

ETA: I should mention that we've been looking for bures/bungalows as opposed to a more standard hotel experience.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Musey ...

I'll just say that Navutu Stars was my DREAM HONEYMOON LOCATION and we almost eloped there instead of having our Barn Wedding. I read about it in Vogue a few years back and it got rave reviews. One day! One day I'll get there!!!!!

9.gif

ETA: I found this ...

NAVUTU STARS RESORT PUTS ECO-LUXURY FIRST
Navutu Stars Resort, located in the beautiful Yasawa Islands, is Fiji’s ultimate, eco-luxury tropical-island sanctuary. Navutu’s three pristine white beaches now proudly feature energy-autonomous living with solar power, organic gardens and fresh spring water sourced from natural bores. Selected by Condé Nast Traveler and voted among the “Sexiest Resorts in the World” and defined by Vogue Magazine as “Rustic Chic,” Navutu Stars Resort offers a unique barefoot-luxury setting for fashionista travelers who are also environment-conscious. The exclusive accommodation is just nine spacious and immaculate bures (thatched dwellings) combining traditional Fijian architecture with modern luxury, funky colours, and a profusion of fresh tropical blooms. Navutu Stars Resort is an ecologically-balanced island sanctuary of pristine white beaches, dramatic monoliths, crystal clear lagoons, and rich marine life; Navutu’s staff cooperates with local coral ecologists in reef monitoring and coral regeneration to protect ecology.

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Hey Musey, as I mentioned in your other thread (on forums) I have been two Fiji twice and am happy to help you!

Just one question and then I''ll put some thoughts together for you - what time is your flight out of Nadi?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, PB! I was hoping you''d see this thread, too
1.gif

We fly in on a Tuesday at 5:10 am, and out on a Friday at 10:20am. I''d be greatly appreciative of any advice you can pass along!

Deco, what a coincidence!! It does look very nice. I''m crossing my fingers that we''ll be able to work the budget such that it (or something in that range) may be possible
2.gif

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Hi Musey, ok if those are your flights then I hate to say it but I would probaby not recommend the Yasawas. They are further out than the Mamanucas and you can only get out with the one transfer boat out or a sea plane. The boat leaves Denarau marina (Nadi) each day at 9am does the loop around the islands and arrives back in 5:30pm. So you''d have to be sure your plane arrives in enough time on day 1 and even then you would only be able to have two nights as you wouldn''t be back in enough time for an early morning flight. Now if you can splurge on a sea plane then you could do it timewise and it would be so amazing! It is expensive though, about $400 return
20.gif
per person.

The Mamunacas are closer and are more accessible as there are a few options with transfers. The Malolo Island resort I haven''t stayed at but my SO''s parents did and they really liked it.

My recommendation (although I haven''t stayed at this one myself either
3.gif
) is the Lomani Island resort. It is more similar to the Yasawa resorts in that it is small - only 12 rooms and I *think* it''s adults only.

http://www.lomaniisland.com/

The standard room is about $420 a night, but they have deluxe rooms as well (prices on their website are in FJD)

Also, if you still really want to head out to the Yasawas, you can do a day trip out there from the Mamanucas.

Hope that helps!

Oh, I have also been to New Zealand so you can ask me any questions about that. Although we didn''t stay anywhere fancy as we hired a campervan and drove it around (which was great fun!). But feel free to ask away.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
PB, I am such a dummy, the transfer thing didn''t even OCCUR to me! Partly because some of the resort websites list "water taxi" as an option, and I just assumed water taxis worked like regular taxis
3.gif

oops.gif

Thank you for bringing that up, and for your recommendations. I think we''ll either do two nights on the islands and one by the airport, OR stay around the south side of the main island for all three, OR see if we can fit the plane trip in the budget... MAN that would be so amazing!!

With New Zealand, we''re mostly trying to make sure we hit all the can''t-miss spots. Two weeks is definitely not enough to see everything, so we''re just prioritizing. So far our must-sees are the Glowworm caves in Waitomo (I will absolutely not forgive either of us if we don''t get to this), Milford Sound, Mangapu Caving, and the Franz Joseph Glacier. One of our friends spent a month there recently and insists that we go zorbing in Rotorua, so I''m sure we''ll do that too. There are lots of other things that we''d like to do, but those are the musts!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Hey Musey, it's easy to forget about the transfers, the islands seem like they should all be so close
3.gif

I don't think I would do two nights yasawas, one night airport for two reaseons. You waste soooo much time with the transfers, and Nadi is sooooo not nice or worth spending time in. You'll feel like you didn't even get a chance to relax, which is what Fiji is all about!

I also don't think the Coral coast (which is what I believe you meant by south side of the main island) is as nice as either the Mamanucas or Yasawas. Of course, that's just my opinion and if you don't go out to those areas you might be perfectly happy with it.

What I would do is just go to the Mamanucas and stay. It doesn't take long, so you'll be there quickly and can just spend the next three days relaxing in a gorgeous setting
36.gif

ETA: Unless you can splurge on the plane, and then you should definitely do Navutu in the Yasawas!!!

For NZ, I think you have some great ideas so far. I'll have a think if there are any other "must sees" you haven't mentioned.

Did I mention I'm jealous of your trip? I big puffy heart both Fiji and New Zealand. You are going to have such a great time
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 5:54:02 PM
Author: PrettyBlues

I also don't think the Coral coast (which is what I believe you meant by south side of the main island) is as nice as either the Mamanucas or Yasawas. Of course, that's just my opinion and if you don't go out to those areas you might be perfectly happy with it.
I agree, the outlying island experience is really what we are after... BUT I'm not seeing a difference between the Yasawa and Mamanuca islands as far as transferring...?? So it seems like we'd be able to do neither for all three nights (unless we splurge on a seaplane), with the 10:20am departure on our final day.
Unless I'm missing something
33.gif

Malolo Island Resort, for example, has a connection option with south sea cruises for $73pp each way, but the earliest return trip leaves at 11am
7.gif
Musket Cove, on the other hand, has an earlier departure--but it still doesn't get us back to the main island until 9:50am.

It's weird that the flights would be scheduled the way they are, considering... we could either leave Nadi for NZ at 10:20am and have a 6hr flight (w/ one stopover) OR leave at 6:35pm and have a 12.5 hour flight (again, w/ one LONGer stopover). Obviously I opted for the non-overnight, much shorter travel time, but that really screws with our Fiji plans. Maybe just because we'd chosen to fly to the south island and work our way up, instead of the other way around.

Ugh!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, SNAP! Just found this:

http://www.seafiji.net/

Checking into it now... is this what you were thinking of to make the Mamanucas, but not the Yasawas, possible?

ETA: It's quite expensive, starting at $445 and topping out at $2000.

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
What I meant with the Mamanucas is there are actually a few different companies that run transfers rather than just the one you are locked into with the Yasawas. But you're right, the timing might still be off, wasn't thinking.
20.gif

I will have to investigate more and let you know if one will work.

One thing you can do if you still want a resort type atmosphere rather than staying at the airport that last night is to stay here http://www.sonaisali.com/

I wouldn't recommend it the whole time because there isn't a nice gorgeous beach (although they have a fantastic pool!) but it's good for one night rather than staying at the airport. And it will only take about 30 min or so to the airport.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 9:15:59 PM
Author: PrettyBlues
What I meant with the Mamanucas is there are actually a few different companies that run transfers rather than just the one you are locked into with the Yasawas. But you''re right, the timing might still be off, wasn''t thinking.
20.gif

I will have to investigate more and let you know if one will work.

One thing you can do if you still want a resort type atmosphere rather than staying at the airport that last night is to stay here http://www.sonaisali.com/

I wouldn''t recommend it the whole time because there isn''t a nice gorgeous beach (although they have a fantastic pool!) but it''s good for one night rather than staying at the airport. And it will only take about 30 min or so to the airport.
Thanks PB!
1.gif
(every time I type that it makes me think of Pottery Barn!)

We''re gonna have to figure out our NZ lodging pretty quickly so that we can make Fiji decisions. Our entire budget is only $10k so we''ll be a little tight I think!

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
You think Pottery Barn, I think Peanut Butter
3.gif

One thing to watch out for is the activities in New Zealand. There is so much to do, and most of it is not cheap that it can eat into your budget pretty quickly. We were at Mt Cook on the most perfect day and really wanted to do a scenic flight over the mountains and lakes, but quickly realised if we spent the $300 per person
23.gif
we wouldn't be able to eat for the rest of the trip!

ETA: But I'm still a bit sad about missing out, and think maybe I should have just stocked up on beans and sucked it up
9.gif

PrettyBlues

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I''ve had a look at my Fiji book, and I think the only resort that actually has their own private transfers in the Mamanucas (meaning you should be able to stay all three nights as they''ll work around your flights) is Navini.

http://www.navinifiji.com.fj/

It does look a bit more laid back, and maybe you don''t want that for your honeymoon, but thought I would throw it out there as an option. One good thing is the resort is really small, and they don''t allow day trippers - and they can get king of annoying when they descend upon your beach every day!

Let me know what you finally decide so I can live vicariously through you
36.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, thank you SO much PB!!!! I truly appreciate you looking that up. I will be sure to let you know about our plans, and post pictures when we get back
5.gif
thanks again!!

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
With New Zealand, we''re mostly trying to make sure we hit all the can''t-miss spots. Two weeks is definitely not enough to see everything, so we''re just prioritizing. So far our must-sees are the Glowworm caves in Waitomo (I will absolutely not forgive either of us if we don''t get to this), Milford Sound, Mangapu Caving, and the Franz Joseph Glacier. One of our friends spent a month there recently and insists that we go zorbing in Rotorua, so I''m sure we''ll do that too. There are lots of other things that we''d like to do, but those are the musts!
Hi Musey,

We had a 2nd honeymoon in Fiji and loved it. We stayed at Maravu Plantation Resort and Matangi Private Island Resort for two weeks (one week at each) and LOVED it. It is a great destination but I would second the idea of not spending too much time on planes and so on-if you are there for a shortish time maybe stick with Viti Levu (I assume you are flying into Nadi?) and stay in a ''couples only'' resort unless you LOVE children.

I''m sorry I''m so late to this thread but I just wanted to comment on your NZ plans as well. The caves are amazing, and Milford Sound is incredible. If you like walking or hiking there is lots of that to do too. We loved Wanaka, that was one of our favourite places, and if you are wine people consider visiting the Marlborough region (north end of the south island). You will do a lot of driving-there is very little traffic but some of the windy roads can mean that it takes longer than you would expect. You can set up a plan and find places to stay on www.newzealand.com they have a travel planner.

The only thing on your list I would not recommend is the Franz Joseph Glacier Guides. We have hiked both Franz and Fox and vastly preferred the Fox service-friendlier guides, more professional setup, better equipment. We rented crampons and other equipment from both places (we went in spring) and there was a vast difference. The Franz guides and assistants made us feel like we were constantly in their way, and rushed us through parts of the tour. I have heard a couple of similar stories from others, whilst I have heard nothing bad about Fox. Both glaciers are very similar. Don''t get me wrong, the glacier is a terrific experience-I just want you to have the best experience possible! Hope that helps!

Would love to see some photos when you get back!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results