shape
carat
color
clarity

Fiji J Hunter pearls

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Recently I went to Fiji, I had a wonderful vacation. During my visit I went to the J Hunter Pearl Farm in Savusavu and got to see part of the 2015 harvest sorting. Here's a collage series of my visit.

1508fjh5_collage.jpg

1508fjh4_collage.jpg

1508fjh2_collage.jpg

1508fjh1_collage.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
More photos.

1508fjh3_collage.jpg

1508fjh6_collage.jpg

1508fjh010.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a pendant and 2 loose pearls. I want to create pearl rings with these pearls.

One is a antique bronze colour (green/bronze/gold), the other is a chocolate with lavender/cherry overtones.

I need to fix the photo rotation later.

1508fjh026.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
For the chocolate keshi I am looking at multi-row pave in red gold, white or cognac diamonds?

briangavin1.jpg

briangavin2.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
A more organic bezel, like these rings.

mikimoto-baroque-pearl-ring-230x300.jpg

south-sea-white-pearl-diamond_9f159638.jpg

yoko1.jpg

iguanatan

Rough_Rock
Love your photos, and love the pearls you bought. The rings will be spectacular, I have no doubt! :love:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Going to Fiji and picking out your own pearls. Wow! Can't wait to see the finished pieces.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh! I should come over to the pearl section more often. Thank you for posting the link to your thread!
I love love love the pendant and loose pearls you bought.

For the chocolate ring I think I would choose white diamonds for a fresh contrast. But combining it with champaign diamonds would also look very chique. It would be great if you could ask your jeweller for a layout in both color options. It is very well possible that you will be able to tell your preference then.

Happy thinking :wavey:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you iguanatan and seaurchin. :wavey:
Acinom excellent idea, I'll also ask about different karats of rose gold. I'm happy you liked the pearl photos.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
Truly beautiful and unique pearls!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love your pearl choices. They are very fine examples of Fiji pearl colors.

The PP Facebook special this week reminds me of your ring setting examples for your keshi ring. Your keshi appears to be smaller than the sample rings, but the organic shapes will make for an amazing setting. I look forward to reports on this project.

Thanks for the photos of Fiji. It looks like a wonderful trip.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Bailey and Fly Girl.
The keshi is around 10.5mm so it is smaller than the inspiration rings, it has a flat bottom so it was a good ring stone candidate. Do you have any suggestions on the red gold and diamond colour? I thought of using pink sapphires but I need really small melees for this ring to look good.
Here's a photo on my finger, can't capture the lavender overtones well here.

20150818_111232.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1440049881|3916650 said:
The keshi is around 10.5mm so it is smaller than the inspiration rings, it has a flat bottom so it was a good ring stone candidate. Do you have any suggestions on the red gold and diamond colour? I thought of using pink sapphires but I need really small melees for this ring to look good.
Personally, I'd find a local designer/jeweler and lay the pearl against different materials. It will sing when you find the ring color tone. It might be good old yellow gold, but a really nice red gold might be perfect. I had a piece made within the last year with lavender sapphire melee, and that stuff is gorgeous. The sapphire melee comes in a variety of colors. I think it might be perfect for your pearl.

capture_01464_0.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love this photo :love: :love: :love:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I want to dive into that beautiful bowl of pearls...thanks for sharing these photos! And I look forward to seeing the completed projects!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for sharing the pictures from your trip. :love: How exciting to be able to visit Fiji and choose your own pearls! You chose beautiful pearl souvenirs!

I like the idea of a setting with an organic shape for your keshi ring. I love the rings Yvel does with keshi and satin finish gold.

http://www.yvel.com/24-satin-sea-pearl-collection#/jewel_type-rings

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
That pearl looks so much more beautiful on your hand; I love that soft, fluid, melting organic shape :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1440078475|3916709 said:
Personally, I'd find a local designer/jeweler and lay the pearl against different materials. It will sing when you find the ring color tone. It might be good old yellow gold, but a really nice red gold might be perfect. I had a piece made within the last year with lavender sapphire melee, and that stuff is gorgeous. The sapphire melee comes in a variety of colors. I think it might be perfect for your pearl.

Fly Girl I'll never get tired of looking at your collection and I like your jewelry aesthetics alot, if only I have T Lee as my local designer/jeweller. The melees in your photo look a lot like rubies, are they more purplish in real life? I tried placing the pearl against white/yellow/rose gold etc, I've ruled out pale pink, white and 24 kt yellow. So now it's between red and 18 yellow gold. I think the right shade of red wil match the earthy warmth of the keshi.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Acinom|1440086662|3916768 said:

Love this photo :love: :love: :love:

Thank you Acinom, I know your ban hasn't extended to pearls yet. :bigsmile:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1440093883|3916836 said:
Thank you for sharing the pictures from your trip. :love: How exciting to be able to visit Fiji and choose your own pearls! You chose beautiful pearl souvenirs!

I like the idea of a setting with an organic shape for your keshi ring. I love the rings Yvel does with keshi and satin finish gold.

Thank you for your kind words again Pirard and CRDKeshi. Fiji is very close to Australia so it was the ideal place to visit from this part of the world. CRDKeshi if I didn't choose the pearls in person I would have gone for one of the darker chocolates, but I was able to put them between my fingers and view it against my skintone, seems like the paler pearls look better on me.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1440093883|3916836 said:

Kay I love :love: that website, your recommendation is perfect.

jack111

Rough_Rock
wow,so beautiful! :appl:

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Kay, you are a dangerous woman LOL ... that Sati Sea keshi collection is gorgeous :)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Yep, that's me, a dangerous woman. ;)) :naughty: I am in love with the Satin Sea collection -- it makes me crave something with matte yellow or rose gold.

I am just waiting for the right keshi to come along for this ring:

It looks great with the WSS keshi, but I can also picture it with a colorful FW, Tahitian, Fiji or SOC keshi.

yvel_18k_satin_yg_10-11mm_keshi_0.jpg

yvel_18k_satin_yg_10-11mm_keshi_1.jpg

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Yep, Dangerous Kay :) All those ideas would be stunning!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you jack111. Kay I love your choice :love: , and I love the station necklaces on the Yvel website.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting this. You did something on my bucket list. Are there more photos you can share?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1440249760|3917688 said:
Thanks for posting this. You did something on my bucket list. Are there more photos you can share?
Thanks NacreLover, I will look through the files again, a lot were repeats and some were overly dark.
It's definitely worth visiting if you like relaxing and water, and I'm sure you'll choose really gorgeous specimens to take home with you.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh I like that ring! Modern, simple design yet elegant.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems: thanks for sharing your lovely pearl pics. That Keshi strand. Wow. :love:

How will you describe the difference in color between Fiji pearls and the usual Tahitians? Also was it mentioned why the pearl color differs? Eg due to breeding of specific desired colours or the pearls/shells originally have different colours than those in other regions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results