shape
carat
color
clarity

FIC diamonds? - please post pictures and info!

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Coming from not knowing anything at all about diamonds, I have read here on the forum about FIC diamonds. As far as I understand they are just steeper cut diamonds, which generate a lot of fire. Right? Wrong?

Having recently upgraded a diamond to something rather deeply cut (and loving its fire!), I’d love to see the sparkle that the FIC diamonds generate. I think, if all goes well that I might be in a market for one pretty soon :) Color, carat - interesting but no so important to me as fire :)

So, what do FIC look like? Could you please post pictures? I’d love to see what makes them stand apart.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garry H (Cut Nut) designed the HCA tool and might be best able to advise on the differences between TIC and FIC :)

He is a very busy man, though, so might not have time right now!

I don't think there is a set cut-off where you have 'lots' of fire and then 'little' fire - it will be a gradually sliding scale and depending on how all the facets are interacting with each other.

For example, the CBI diamonds are not all FIC stones but are renowned for excellent fire - they spend a lot of time aligning light paths (if I understand it correctly) in order to maintain and enhance dispersion (and therefore fire).

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My current ring has a center that falls in the FIC range... and I absolutely *love* it. While the amount of additional fire isn’t substantially higher, perhaps 5% or so compared to TICs according to the diamond experts here, the tall crown is TDF! :kiss2:

I have a couple of threads you can look up from when I sourced the stone if you want to see lots of photos and videos that show fire. Below are some current pics and an indoor video:

F7762A7C-4E31-4AA9-A988-37769ED8DCB3.jpeg 3E6C4B8D-B50D-4BFA-A0FB-E219532CF29C.jpeg 572E1088-77A3-4922-BF54-636998EAF3E5.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Garry! :))

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Here is a very old basic description.
The crown angle is larger and combined with an ever so slightly smaller pavilion angle and table tend to be smaller.

Do you perhaps have any pictures? I’d love to see real life illustrations of the theory.

My current ring is definately cut low (0.8 accoring to the HCA tool) but still, it sparkles as crazy. So, I am really wondering how an FIC would sparkle. Probably 3times as much?

It would be pretty awesome to see some illustrations.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at Serg's Cutwise platform - he measures and quantifies fire and other performance aspects in what I believe is a unique method at this moment in time.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do you perhaps have any pictures? I’d love to see real life illustrations of the theory.

My current ring is definately cut low (0.8 accoring to the HCA tool) but still, it sparkles as crazy. So, I am really wondering how an FIC would sparkle. Probably 3times as much?

It would be pretty awesome to see some illustrations.

It is not that simple. A diamond with a low HCA score will have a larger spread for it's weight.
The differences become apparent after you become a diamond geek :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Do you perhaps have any pictures?

The H&A range is so tight - it might take a very good videographer to show such differences; static photography - I can't think how.

However, seriously extreme examples far beyond the H&A range [likely not loved by the HCA either, but likely fine ASET with smallish caveats] can demonstrate the types of brilliance; I see them around the usual collections of videos all the time.

tbc

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results