shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on this Sterling Silver Pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
I''ve been browsing for a nice, yet inexpensive ($75-$150) initial necklace, and have come across this:

http://www.collectiblestoday.com/ct/product/prdid-1000072.jsp?102997009

What is your opinion? I love the design, but the quality of the diamonds is not disclosed, and I can get something nice in 14k white gold from Ice.com for a lot less, price wise. How easily does sterling silver tarnish? This is something that would be worn day in, and day out.

I''m not looking for other recommendations (though they''re certainly welcome)--I actually have another thread for that, and I apologize for the duplication--I''m just in a bit of a hurry, and would love to hear some of you guys'' opinions on this particular necklace.

Thank you so much.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly? I think it's a little old looking. I really don't care for it. The Tiffany's initial necklaces are only $30 more and sooooo much nicer IMO.

The Graven Acolyte

Rough_Rock
Actually, I like the style. I''m not so big a fan of the letter design, but I love the heart. I certainly appreciate your opinion however, neatfreak--you''ve always been extremely helpful to me. I do like the Tiffany necklace, but kind of what something with some sparkle.

I guess what I''m most curious about is whether the above necklace is good value for the materials. I haven''t found the heart style anywhere else, but I can get a nice 14k white gold & diamond initial pendant for I think $75 or so after discount at Ice.com. (That said, money is not an issue as long as I keep it under $150 or so.) I just wish I could get something with the heart & charm design.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Your intuition is spot on, here. It''s overpriced for the materials; they''re using a few tiny, probably low-grade diamonds to bump up the price of the piece. And, from a girl''s perspective, I agree that the design is old-fashioned in a bad way - I like old-fashioned detailed stuff, but I wouldn''t wear it.

-sends you vibes of shopping support-

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with neatfreak and eac on the pendant. I would not wear it either.

I first read "old looking" as "mature looking" and I couldn't figure out what they were talking about!! But they're right--it's "old looking" like "early '90s" as opposed to mature or antique--and it looks like something a young person (12 or 13) would wear.
40.gif

This is another one of those things where I have to tell the guy, please please, PLEASE make sure this is exactly what your girlfriend wants before buying it..........

ETA: The "heart" thing was what made me want to tell you to ask GF first--many guys come on here asking about heart-shaped jewelry, the posters ALWAYS tell him either "no" or "ask your girlfriend first," and the guys ALWAYS buy it anyway and *almost* always their girlfriends end up not liking it (and the other times we never hear back, anyway, so it's a mystery as to whether she'd like it or not...)
38.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 9:10:59 PM
Author: eac
Your intuition is spot on, here. It''s overpriced for the materials; they''re using a few tiny, probably low-grade diamonds to bump up the price of the piece.
Also, to this point--jewelers do NOT often set diamonds in sterling silver and this is another indication that the diamonds will be of poor quality.

As for the sterling silver tarnishing question--it depends. I''ve bought supposed "sterling silver" pieces that tarnished badly within 6 months or so. My sterling silver tiffany pendant, however, took about 3 years to tarnish at all (with daily wear). My guess is that the piece you''re considering would be higher than the 6-month range, but considerably lower than the 3-year range. The diamonds also make it more difficult to polish the silver and, subsequently, would make it a HUGE hassle to get the diamonds clean of silver polish! (A good reason why jewelers don''t set diamonds in silver...)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2007 7:23:00 PM
Author:The Graven Acolyte
I can get something nice in 14k white gold from Ice.com for a lot less, price wise.
Is this the ice.com one you''re talking about? Because they list the diamond clarity as I2-I3. In stones that size, they''ll likely look gray and cloudy (not sparkly).

Honestly, I think you''d be much better off looking for something without diamonds. It''s a nice idea, but In the price range you''re looking at, they''re not likely to be of a quality that will add to (rather than detract from) the beauty of the pendant.

Sorry for all the posts--just trying to steer you away from a purchase you may regret later! (BELIEVE me, I can commiserate on that one!)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha, I just realized I''m a day late on this thread!
20.gif
guess it won''t make a difference anyway, then
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results