shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on this lab diamond please

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frogplus, I don't think there is anyone selling decent MMDs to the public for anywhere close to the prices Light Box is advertising. I think there are a lot of mislabeled stones (probably CZs) on Alibaba and that buyer beware is the best line of thinking there.

ETA- glass filled would not be durable and IMO is not worth buying regardless of where it comes from.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If they're glass filled they are likely low quality mined diamonds--the lab is the place where they fill the stone with glass. This trick is pretty common on E-bay.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow! I'm interested to see if anyone here is able to give an estimate on the LB stones when they ship. Because LB is not going to give the 4Cs for their stones, right?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
^Right

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow! I'm interested to see if anyone here is able to give an estimate on the LB stones when they ship. Because LB is not going to give the 4Cs for their stones, right?

For Nature diamonds:

The gem quality diamonds are " rarer" than the non-gem quality ones. The biger diamonds ( carat ) are "rarer" than the small one. The higher color D, E... are rarer than J, K etc...etc ... The fancy vivid color ones are the raest...

That why we have "4 C" to grade the nature diamonds. To the naked eyes, look at the diamonds face down, who can distinguish an E diamond from a H diamond if both have same cut, same clarity and same carat?:nono: If both are excellent cut, they are just sparkly !!!:mrgreen2: But GIA has to use the microscopes to grade 4C of nature diamonds. Because the 4C is used to value nature diamonds accordingly. You can see them as reference at Rapaport diamond prices based on 4C.

Rapaport recommends that sellers of synthetic diamonds have made based on how to price their MMD, based on their cost of production not based on Rapaport prices. But why all of lab-grown diamonds are priced at 30-40% less than natural diamond prices :naughty::naughty::naughty:?

For fashion costume jewelery, synthetic stones can be made at any time as much as the market want. What consumers should pay attetion to is the "cut" quality of those stones, which can make the MMD just sparkle :love:. Why you should wonder for an E or a H MMD , or a VVS or a SI if all of those "C" almost can not be distinguished by naked eyes?:Up_to_something:

However, I beleive Lightbox would delivery "good enought" cut MMD. Its pink pave pendant just looks cute!:lol:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
"Why you should wonder for an E or a H MMD , or a VVS or a SI if all of those "C" almost can not be distinguished by naked eyes?:Up_to_something:"

Why should anyone care, natural or lab? It's still a real diamond so I'm curious.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
"Why you should wonder for an E or a H MMD , or a VVS or a SI if all of those "C" almost can not be distinguished by naked eyes?:Up_to_something:"

Why should anyone care, natural or lab? It's still a real diamond so I'm curious.

Yes, there are 2 different market segments . Everyone care about an antique vs a fake antique ( same materials ), a famous painting vs a replica one, a limited edition product vs a mass production one:P2... and a nature diamond vs a MMD:???:, ( also a real ruby vs synthetic one!!!...)

Why? Because of the limit, finitenes or rareness of the antiques, famous paintings, diamonds, ruby... the prices of those are much much much higher!!! :twisted:

For the market segment that just cares about the material formmed of carbon cubic crysto structure with reasonable prices, yes LightBox MMD is a good choice for now. :mrgreen2:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
"the prices of those are much much much higher!!!"

Exactly. I love a good deal but without knowing what the equivalent of the LB color/cut/clarity would cost from a mined diamond, I won't know how much I saved! Maybe it's $2000, maybe it's $10000!

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
"the prices of those are much much much higher!!!"

Exactly. I love a good deal but without knowing what the equivalent of the LB color/cut/clarity would cost from a mined diamond, I won't know how much I saved! Maybe it's $2000, maybe it's $10000!
You are saving ...nothing because they are "different products", "different market segment" like real antique and faked one . But for sure you do save a lot comparing to the other MMD suppliers:lol:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@VDK1 If I had any interest in selling it later you would be right. Since I don't, and these are exactly the same chemical composition, you are wrong! :lol:

My bottom line is having a diamond ring that is sparkly and white and almost 1 carat. I can spend $5-10k for a fabulous 4C stone from the earth, or $900 for a LB. If it looks and behaves the same as one from the earth, then I DID get the same product for 10-20% of the price! (Obviously the jury is still out on LB diamonds until we see them, so who knows what the actual price difference will be).

Your attitude is what LB wants people to think, that lab diamonds aren't real diamonds, but honestly I just don't buy it and I think people are starting to catch on. I'm sure natural diamonds will continue to have value the same way that all antiques do, but I don't think calling lab diamonds "fake" is going to stick. People are realizing the truth. They are real diamonds.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
@VDK1 If I had any interest in selling it later you would be right. Since I don't, and these are exactly the same chemical composition, you are wrong! :lol:

My bottom line is having a diamond ring that is sparkly and white and almost 1 carat. I can spend $5-10k for a fabulous 4C stone from the earth, or $900 for a LB. If it looks and behaves the same as one from the earth, then I DID get the same product for 10-20% of the price! (Obviously the jury is still out on LB diamonds until we see them, so who knows what the actual price difference will be).

Your attitude is what LB wants people to think, that lab diamonds aren't real diamonds, but honestly I just don't buy it and I think people are starting to catch on. I'm sure natural diamonds will continue to have value the same way that all antiques do, but I don't think calling lab diamonds "fake" is going to stick. People are realizing the truth. They are real diamonds.

QOUTED

"Here is a quote from the Diamond Terminology Guideline.

"DEFINITIONS
  • A diamond is a mineral created by nature; a “diamond” always means a natural diamond.
  • A synthetic diamond is an artificial product that has essentially the same physical characteristics as a diamond.
  • An imitation diamond, also named a diamond simulant, is an artificial product that imitates the appearance of diamonds without having their chemical composition, physical properties or structure.
  • A gemstone is a mineral of natural origin that is used in jewellery for reasons of combined beauty, rareness and intrinsic value."
Here is a quote from the Diamond Terminology Guideline about Terminology

"TERMINOLOGY

When referring to synthetic diamonds:
  • Use one of the following authorised qualifiers when referring to synthetic diamonds: “synthetic”, “laboratory-grown” or “laboratory-created”.
  • Do not use abbreviations such as “lab-grown” and “lab-created”.
  • Do not use the following terms: “cultured diamonds” and “cultivated diamonds” as “cultured” and “cultivated” refer exclusively to organic/biogenic products.
  • Do not use the following terms: “real”, “genuine”, “precious”, “authentic” and “natural” as those apply exclusively to natural minerals and gemstones."
I suspect that bullet point number two will be the most abused as many will just use "lab-grown and lab-created instead of doing the whole word laboratory. The terms cultured diamonds and cultivated diamonds will also be greatly abused in my opinion, as there are so many who will wish to use them to dupe their clients into thinking that these are somehow better synthetics than the laboratory-grown diamonds.

The leadership of the nine organizations who created the Guideline (AWDC, CIBJO, DPA, GJEPC, IDI, IDMA, USJC, WDC and WFDB) are strongly recommending that all traders comply with these guideline on all documents and websites. I predict a long and arduous battle to bring about compliance. I believe it will be to the consumer's benefit if the Guideline is followed."
source
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...s-back-standard-terminology-guideline.237456/

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VDK1

It's perhaps worth noting that the US Federal Trade Commission is NOT on the above list for the above guidelines, and their rules are slightly different.

For example, they define a diamond as:
“A mineral consisting essentially of pure carbon crystallized in the isometric system.”

They dropped the word "natural" a few months ago. 'Synthetic" was also removed as an approved word when selling, umm, synthetic diamonds (It's still acceptable so I'm not in trouble here but they mention it as a confusing term). Meanwhile, they like the word "created" when attached to a manufacturer's name. Using the words "lab" and "laboratory" interchangeably doesn't seem to be an issue but "Factory" is not on the approved list.

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/maj...ey-changes-the-ftc-made-to-the-jewelry-guides

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@denverappraiser

"The FTC still holds that the terms real, genuine, natural and precious cannot be used for lab-grown stones.:eek-2:

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/maj...ey-changes-the-ftc-made-to-the-jewelry-guides
That 's the point!
Thank you!

The FTC still holds that the terms real, genuine, natural and precious cannot be used for lab-grown stones.”:eek-2:

That 's the point!

He heard you the first time ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results