shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback on JA ASET test for 2.24 Carat Emerald Diamond

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
IMG_1106.JPG

I just received this ASET image from James Allen on this 2.24 carat IF/I color Emerald shaped diamond. Would love to get your interpretation on what you see and if it is a good predictor on how well this diamond will perform. Thanks!

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
59F8E627-2974-4C02-9672-B21887942FA9-727-0000014F682CC37B.jpeg

Here is a picture of the diamond from JA.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have the stone on Hold, post the link to it - ECs are easier to evaluate with a moving video.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ASET doesnt do this stone any favor...there is a little more darkness than I'm used to seeing when it
is facing straight you. Most of the stone looks to light up as it turns except
that large gray/green step. I would either need to see this stone in person or I would keep looking.
Hopefully Karl will see your post and comment on
the ASET.

Plus...this stone is an IGI stone so the color/clarity might be off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I am not in love with the ASET, and I wouldn't buy an IGI graded diamond. May as well look at GIA J color since there's no guarantee that's a true I color. I don't think it's bad, but you can't compare the price with GIA graded diamonds with the same specs.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ditto on igi

On this stone the pic is what you get when static, nice patterns.
I would call it a pretty fair representation based on ASET and Video.
The ratio of light to dark(obstruction) in the patterns isn't bad at all.
Moving, even end to end it shows a lot of life in the video.
The leakage in the centerish of the ASET would be green in ASET black, its right on the edge.
Really to bad its igi.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
ditto on igi

On this stone the pic is what you get when static, nice patterns.
I would call it a pretty fair representation based on ASET and Video.
The ratio of light to dark(obstruction) in the patterns isn't bad at all.
Moving, even end to end it shows a lot of life in the video.
The leakage in the centerish of the ASET would be green in ASET black, its right on the edge.
Really to bad its igi.

Thanks for your assessment Karl. From the ASET image, how would you rate the light performance, from poor to excellent. The price for this diamond is $12,520. Based on what you see, is this a good price at $5,589/carat? I understand JA prices their diamonds according to the organization who rates them.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
That ASET doesnt do this stone any favor...there is a little more darkness than I'm used to seeing when it
is facing straight you. Most of the stone looks to light up as it turns except
that large gray/green step. I would either need to see this stone in person or I would keep looking.
Hopefully Karl will see your post and comment on
the ASET.

Plus...this stone is an IGI stone so the color/clarity might be off.

How many color grades off would an IGI diamond be from a GIA rated diamond? I'm trying to look for a comparable GIA rated diamond for price comparison. Thanks for your review!

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I am not in love with the ASET, and I wouldn't buy an IGI graded diamond. May as well look at GIA J color since there's no guarantee that's a true I color. I don't think it's bad, but you can't compare the price with GIA graded diamonds with the same specs.

Would the Clarity rating of IF differ from GIA? it seems to me Clarity ratings would be fairly consistent from IGI to GIA to AGS since it's fairly objective. The Color rating is what I am most concerned about. How grades apart is a IGI rated diamond vs GIA rated?

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
How many color grades off would an IGI diamond be from a GIA rated diamond? I'm trying to look for a comparable GIA rated diamond for price comparison. Thanks for your review!

I think it's generally 1-2 grades lower. But don't quote me on that;)2

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Would the Clarity rating of IF differ from GIA? it seems to me Clarity ratings would be fairly consistent from IGI to GIA to AGS since it's fairly objective. The Color rating is what I am most concerned about. How grades apart is a IGI rated diamond vs GIA rated?

I think clarity grades are about 1 grade lower, could be 2 grades. It's my understanding that people will submit a diamond to be graded by IGI because they know they will not meet GIA or AGS standards for what they want to sell it at (IOW, to make the greatest profit).

For example, they want to sell a G VS2, GIA might grade it I SI1. So they'll send it to IGI to get the G-VS2 rating..

I could be wrong so I'll leave it to the experts to correct me.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
I think clarity grades are about 1 grade lower, could be 2 grades. It's my understanding that people will submit a diamond to be graded by IGI because they know they will not meet GIA or AGS standards for what they want to sell it at (IOW, to make the greatest profit).

For example, they want to sell a G VS2, GIA might grade it I SI1. So they'll send it to IGI to get the G-VS2 rating..

I could be wrong so I'll leave it to the experts to correct me.

I heard that as well. The consumer thinks they are getting a good price on a IGI diamond, but in reality they are paying a premium for a lesser quality stone. That's why I am doing my homework. Thanks.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DMDSR4EVER - Is it a fair assumption that your budget is around the previously mentioned US$12.5k?

Should we look around for some options for you? :)

If so, is there a reason you have chosen IF in the above stone? (cultural, personal preference, etc)
Or was it just a case of "that's what was available"? lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would compare with GIA J - K/VS - not expecting I - J & perhaps not K - L either, since 'K' is a long interval itself ... There are GIA J/VS alternatives, eg. WWW 'The Dot' 8.6X6 mm.

Then, one H/VS2, although lighter (1.81) is quite comparabke in size (8X6 mm) & seems to have a similar cut without the excessive contrast - WWW

2c

Last edited:

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
I decided against the 2.24 carat IF/I graded be IGI on JA website and the 1.84 carat IF/H on Blue Nile. I would appreciate any help in finding a 1.5-2.0 carat emerald diamond with a 1.40-1.50 L/W ratio. My budget is $11,000 and under. My #1 attribute is cut quality followed by color then clarity.

DMDSR4EVER

Rough_Rock
ECEAB948-F554-4598-8994-DEBF93BFF538-16972-0000100A15EA42F0.jpg 697B992B-F596-472A-8E5C-F34FBA8D8EB2-16972-000010095EC864F8.jpg
ASET images for 2 of the 4 JA diamonds:

The one on the left is the 2.03 carat H/VS2
The one on the right is the 1.64 carat F/VVS1

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the 1.64 the best, the ASET is nice and in the video It appears to be a very nice EC

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results