shape
carat
color
clarity

Feathering in Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tunis

Rough_Rock
I''m new to this site and new to diamond buying in general. I''m interested in the following stone but have concerns regarding the degree of feathering that seems present:

http://www.whiteflash.com/pimg/certificates/ci_AGS-9977501.jpg

I am told the stone is "eye clean" but my concern surrounds durability. I welcome any and all comments...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Tunis,

I think you will be fine, WF are a highly reputable vendor and will advise you if there are any durability concerns with the SI1 feathers, which is unlikely.

tunis

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei for the welcome and your thoughts. I thought WF was reputable but I didn''t want to buy a stone that the avid diamond collector would pass over. Guess feathering in and of itself doesn''t make a diamond undesirable, huh?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 3:39:18 PM
Author: tunis
Thanks Lorelei for the welcome and your thoughts. I thought WF was reputable but I didn't want to buy a stone that the avid diamond collector would pass over. Guess feathering in and of itself doesn't make a diamond undesirable, huh?
Glad to help! Feathers aren't created equal, it is rare that they are a durability issue and it should be fine with a reliably graded SI1 clarity, but it is best to check and with a trusted vendor like WF you have no worries there. Looks like you have found yourself a lovely diamond by the report!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should be fine like the others mentioned, but you''d have to ask a professional to be sure. The folks at WF are great, but if you are still worried about it an independent appraiser will give you a good idea about durability issues and peace of mind.

tunis

Rough_Rock
Thanks kcoursolle. Anybody see anything wrong with this stone? I did the Holloway Cut Analysis and it seemed to get a score of 1 which is pretty good, I think...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, nothing wrong by the numbers... Usually we don''t care about the numbers once it is graded by AGS as AGS0. :p And I think this is a ACA round, so more the reason not to go by numbers... They are already in the 1-3% of all the RB cuts in performance...

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/3/2008 1:31:00 PM
Author:tunis
I'm new to this site and new to diamond buying in general. I'm interested in the following stone but have concerns regarding the degree of feathering that seems present:

http://www.whiteflash.com/pimg/certificates/ci_AGS-9977501.jpg

I am told the stone is 'eye clean' but my concern surrounds durability. I welcome any and all comments...
It's all good. First, diamonds are subjected to extremes of friction and pressure during the bruting and polishing process that they will never undergo again during normal wear. Second, as others have said, WF puts each stone through inspection to be doubly sure all is well.

I do like to mention in this kind of thread that a good insurance policy is important for any diamond. All diamonds have cleavage planes as part of their crystal structure and even the most flawless diamond can take a knock or impact hard enough to cause damage.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results