shape
carat
color
clarity

Feather ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DOC TOO

Rough_Rock
Have loose 1.28 si1 I color ex sym. ex pol. medium faceted round brilliant diamond. Has small "Feather" near girdle, Jeweler says ok to cover with prong, will cover perfectly. Is this ok to do? Will be setting in 6 prong Tiffany 14k yellow gold. Thanks -DOC

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your jeweler is in a much better position than any of us to answer this sort of question. This is done regularly with no problem. Is there some particular reason that you are uncomfortable with their advice?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

DOC TOO

Rough_Rock
I "heard" from someone who told me a feather was a weak point. And it was better not to put a prong on top of it. For it can cause stress on the feather. But as you said the jeweler and the appraiser said this is not a problem in this case. Thanks for the reply, JUST LOOKING FOR SOME ENLIGHTMENT.
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 4:11:41 PM
Author: DOC TOO
I ''heard'' from someone who told me a feather was a weak point. And it was better not to put a prong on top of it. For it can cause stress on the feather. But as you said the jeweler and the appraiser said this is not a problem in this case. Thanks for the reply, JUST LOOKING FOR SOME ENLIGHTMENT.
20.gif
That can be the case but someone who is looking at the diamond is in a much better position to say than anyone here.
It depends on how big , the shape and the exact location of the inclusion and the only way to tell is to see it in person.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
If the setter is happy then so are we. After all they have seen the stone and they take the risk...

Look at it under a loupe if you can, to see if the prong is covering up a setting defect. If in all probability it isn''t covering anything but a simnple feather then your stone has endured most of what it will in all it''s future already.

By the way, the art of hiding your feather is a good sign of a good setter/jeweller.

Feathers that break the surface are the real problem, but even then, the same applies.

Of course ask him/her if it will be safe, because after setting they definately know!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results