shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite places to shop?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
P

PierreBear

PSers,

I seem to go to the same places all the time and would like to expand my horizons. Where do you like to shop for clothes and furniture/art?

Clothes - banana republic, jcrew, madewell, the loft, anthropologie
I've tried department store shopping but seem to get overwhelmed with how everything is placed.
Furniture/art - crate & barrel, west elm, cb2

Thanks in advance!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I hate shopping... and despise the "mall". I'll pop into TJ Maxx/Marshalls. That's where I got a lot of office clothes. I love Free People. I used to LOVE Filene's basement in Boston downtown crossing... I found the most unique amazing designer clothes there but alas it's been gone for years. I like lululemon for work out type clothes and I have an awesome backpack from them... and a coat... all good quality.

Most of my furniture is from Jordan's or family items. I need to sit in/feel/lay on/touch furniture before I buy it. I can not stand cheaply made furniture items - though I do have a couple of things from Ikea (file cabinets) but I saw them in person 1st to make sure they didn't feel like they'd fall apart... and Ikea has Swedish meatballs in their caf... that's a plus for me!

I've purchased a couple of wall items from art.com that I love.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Eddie Bauer for clothing, especially jeans. I even buy their jeans for riding because they are the most comfortable. We do furniture local only because like Kbell I have to touch it or sit on it first.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home Depot. :lol:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't do a lot of furniture shopping...or art shopping...we can't hang things on our crappy old plaster walls or they literally crumble, so we don't bother with that much anyway.

Clothes are mostly Nordstrom, with random American Apparel tshirts (RIP) and Old Navy/Lands End. But since I'm trying to NOT buy any clothing til my weight is regulated and downward more, IF I need anything, it's dirt cheap--JCP stuff on super sale, etc.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Home Depot. :lol:

Oh, I get so excited by the smell of wood at Home Depot. I guess I enjoy reno projects more than material goods. For everything else, I look online, comparison shop, read reviews and really think about things. Every purchase is fairly carefully planned out. :read:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I get so excited by the smell of wood at Home Depot. I guess I enjoy reno projects more than material goods. For everything else, I look online, comparison shop, read reviews and really think about things. Every purchase is fairly carefully planned out. :read:

When I was little (like REALLY little -- at an age where if my dad was walking at a normal pace I had to run to keep up) he started taking me around to the places where he bought supplies for his "projects." Of course one of those places was a lumber yard... A Real Honest To God Lumber Yard. To this day the smell of lumber takes me right back to early childhood! The name of that lumber yard BTW was Busy Beaver. If they're still around I wonder if they're still called that?! :cheeky:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! Still out there beavering away!

Ah Lyra -- thank you for the trip down memory lane!

IMG_1605.JPG

Q

Queenie60

Clothing - Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. If and when I need art, either Carmel by the Sea or I have a connection with an art broker out of Colorado. Furniture - my home is fully furnished however, the last few replacements, I researched and purchased directly from North Carolina. Bling - we all know where that comes from!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love buying FCDs from Leibish and treasure hunting at thrift stores.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love buying FCDs from Leibish and treasure hunting at thrift stores.
Yes!! Thrift stores!
Don't be scared, folks. Think of it as saving the planet. Re-use, recycle.
I was raised on hand-me-downs, so I don't have a problem with "pre-loved".
I have found Stuart Weitzman, Cole Haan, Kate Spade, just to name a few.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big fan of thrift stores (have to be careful though or you can get carried away) we have a store called Savers that I LOVE. Also love when I can find a good vintage clothing store that isn't too expensive.

For clothes, Marshalls, Costco (they had Lucky Brand shirts one week!) or T.J. Maxx. If I buy something decorative for the house, an antique shop or the Elephant's trunk flea market.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I shop, therefore I am!
but...
clothes generally come from WESC, FOX, Brooks Bros, Backcountry.
Im in live/work A.I.R. space so most of my furnishings are industrial, but I did get two Poltrona Frau chairs last year, and a couchy thing from DWR.
Art I either make, or am gifted. But I have bought some artists early in their careers from Postmasters, chiam read and zwirner. I bought some wonderful paintings by Bill Dilworth at Fox gallery. I will keep those, the others I will dump like stocks

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I have fun going to a variety of places.

NM Last Call, Nordie Rack, TJ Maxx to check out sales. Thrift stores or resell shops on occasion for retro gear. EBay for some collectibles.

I don't wear much jewelry besides my wedding set, and wear scarves instead of necklaces as my main clothing accessory. But I only wear Hermes scarves so that either comes from H.com for current seasons or trusted resellers for anything old I am hunting.

Furniture- no idea. I hate furniture shopping overall but like going to antique stores to look. The last furniture shopping we did was getting a new dining table and chairs at World Market. I promised I wouldnt pick something crazy and then ended up with hot pink velvet dining chairs...oops....

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NM store and online
Splendid store and online
Lululemon online
Clarks, Adidas
LV
My mom's closet
Costco for non-clothing

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Based on your clothing choices, I'd suggest checking out Everlane. Their tagline is "Radical Transparency" and while I think that might be a little much, They make some great simple basics and they do it ethically and responsibly. They pay fair wages to their workers and some of their products are USA-made as well. Their products comprise roughly half of my wardrobe right now. I'm big on being smart about ethical fashion, whether that's through organic materials (the organic cotton dresses from Fair Indigo online are my FAVORITE) or through ethical sourcing/working conditions.

On the vein of thrifting, I've gotten a couple great pieces over time from thredup.com, an online clothing consignment/resale store. I also got my entire china set from a local store for $200...noritake, 8 place settings!

For furniture, I'm not sure if you'll ever cure me of IKEA, lol. Alternatively, I've been oogling the furniture on Joybird's website...I've been geeking out of mid-century modern recently...

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Furniture- no idea. I hate furniture shopping overall but like going to antique stores to look. The last furniture shopping we did was getting a new dining table and chairs at World Market. I promised I wouldnt pick something crazy and then ended up with hot pink velvet dining chairs...oops....

I love antique stores & local shops. I have a few art pcs from local places and plan on going to local antique stores for a few items we're looking for... entryway storage bench, kitchen bar stools, & I'm loving the retro 50's style dinette sets for our 3 season. It's always fun looking! That's the kind of shopping I enjoy. As soon as I step in a mall I want to step back out.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nordstrom Rack and online!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to order Nordstrom online for pickup in store. That way I can try on there and arrange for alterations at the same time. Or just return if the clothes are no bueno.

I was lucky to discover @ame a few years back and her journey vetting things for a Nordstrom anniversary sale haul. We are both apple shaped. I've pretty much stuck closely to the brands that won her heart back then lolol. She's pickier than me so if she gives something her nod of approval, it usually is fantastic for me.:appl:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to order Nordstrom online for pickup in store. That way I can try on there and arrange for alterations at the same time. Or just return if the clothes are no bueno.

I was lucky to discover @ame a few years back and her journey vetting things for a Nordstrom anniversary sale haul. We are both apple shaped. I've pretty much stuck closely to the brands that won her heart back then lolol. She's pickier than me so if she gives something her nod of approval, it usually is fantastic for me.:appl:
:love:

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love Costco for the free samples and the jewelry case!!!!!:lol-2:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shop Reformation for dresses a lot, and the rest is from small boutiques online. For splurges, I like Matches Fashion & Moda Operandi.

I have no more room for furniture, but for art I like to collect ceramics. The things I like change as I discover new ceramicists, and these days I like DBO Home and Julie Bonde.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, this is a very old thread, we're closing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results