Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy yellow gets a new fancy dress

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
My first SMTB post, not without ambivalence! I have always loved fancy yellow diamonds so for an anniversary, I bought a loose stone, and then I did a rookie jewelry mistake and picked a setting and ordered it according to the specs of the stone. So the setting was "custom" in that it was built around my stone, but with fancy yellows, I learned it is best to have a jeweler have the stone in hand so they can do everything they can to bring out the yellow. Consequently, I felt like my FY looked more like Fancy Light. This was the original stone with the setting I bought:

IMG_2323.jpg

It's still really pretty, but without a gold cup underneath, or higher gold prongs (the prongs were 14k) I just thought it never looked as yellow as it could. So then after a couple of years, I thought about resetting but couldn't afford it. I had a local jeweler bezel it for me, so it ended up looking like this:

thumbnail.jpg

A big improvement to be sure. But it always still bugged me because the bezel covered the edges of the diamond, making it appear a bit smaller than in the prongs, and also the halo stones were also someone overshadowed. At this point I was getting less enchanted with the pave style of diamond halo anyway, and decided that when I could afford to reset the stone, that I would do a halo of much larger diamonds. Also, since I like bezel but also prongs I wanted to go for a faux bezel. So anyway, I did just that - faux bezel, still with prongs, in 18k gold and then an 18k cup underneath the stone, with much larger white vs diamonds. Here is the result:

IMG_9819.jpg IMG_9823.jpg IMG_9829.jpg

The outer diamonds are white and blinding and the yellow center just glows like sunshine :) The reason I said I have some ambivalence is that I was a bit unprepared by how large it would look! Despite that being what I asked for! I had also asked to minimize the appearance of prongs as much as possible, so I also have a scalloped look as you can see the outline of the stones. I think I was still expecting a "square" look. Nonetheless, my yellow diamond looks super yellow! And to me at least, it looks so much larger in this setting than in the other.

It also sparkles like crazy so I thought a video would be fitting:

So voila. It has been fun being part of PS forum and I'm glad to get to post on SMTB :)

Last edited:

LilAlex

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely!

So faux bezel means that it is still prong set in the corners and there is a gold "perimeter" low basket that does not actually cover the edges of the stone?

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
My first SMTB post, not without ambivalence! I have always loved fancy yellow diamonds so when for an anniversary, I bought a loose stone, and then I did a rookie jewelry mistake and picked a setting and ordered it according to the specs of the stone. So the setting was "custom" in that it was built around my stone, but with fancy yellows, I learned it is best to have a jeweler have the stone in hand so they can do everything they can to bring out the yellow. Consequently, I felt like my FY looked more like Fancy Light. This was the original stone with the setting I bought:

IMG_2323.jpg

It's still really pretty, but without a gold cup underneath, or higher gold prongs (the prongs were 14k) I just thought it never looked as yellow as it could. So then after a couple of years, I thought about resetting but couldn't afford it. I had a local jeweler bezel it for me, so it ended up looking like this:

thumbnail.jpg

A big improvement to be sure. But it always still bugged me because the bezel covered the edges of the diamond, making it appear a bit smaller than in the prongs, and also the halo stones were also someone overshadowed. At this point I was getting less enchanted with the pave style of diamond halo anyway, and decided that when I could afford to reset the stone, that I would do a halo of much larger diamonds. Also, since I like bezel but also prongs I wanted to go for a faux bezel. So anyway, I did just that - faux bezel, still with prongs, in 18k gold and then an 18k cup underneath the stone, with much larger white vs diamonds. Here is the result:

The outer diamonds are white and blinding and the yellow center just glows like sunshine :) The reason I said I have some ambivalence is that I was a bit unprepared by how large it would look! Despite that being what I asked for! I had also asked to minimize the appearance of prongs as much as possible, so I also have a scalloped look as you can see the outline of the stones. I think I was still expecting a "square" look. Nonetheless, my yellow diamond looks super yellow! And to me at least, it looks so much larger in this setting than in the other.

So voila. It has been fun being part of PS forum and I'm glad to get to post on SMTB :)

I love how it came out. So beautiful. Wear it in good health.

jazzhands

Rough_Rock
Lovely!

So faux bezel means that it is still prong set in the corners and there is a gold "perimeter" low basket that does not actually cover the edges of the stone?

Yes, you can see it best in the side view. I'm not sure if "faux bezel" is really the term to be used? I think the jeweler may have called it "beading" but yes to me it looks like a bezel but it isn't what holds the stone in.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, floral and feminine. And sizable. Congratulations on your reset!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
My first SMTB post, not without ambivalence! I have always loved fancy yellow diamonds so for an anniversary, I bought a loose stone, and then I did a rookie jewelry mistake and picked a setting and ordered it according to the specs of the stone. So the setting was "custom" in that it was built around my stone, but with fancy yellows, I learned it is best to have a jeweler have the stone in hand so they can do everything they can to bring out the yellow. Consequently, I felt like my FY looked more like Fancy Light. This was the original stone with the setting I bought:

IMG_2323.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Beautiful reset!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That turned out spectacular!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_2323.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Gorgeous transformation! I really love the new setting.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    Diamond Prices - April 2021
    Diamond Prices - April 2021
    The Unconventional Jewelry Hunt
    The Unconventional Jewelry Hunt

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.