shape
carat
color
clarity

Family photos - would this be odd?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
It's just DH, the furballs, and I (we're not having kids) and I keep thinking about family photos. I guess I just find it odd for a couple with no children to hang pictures of themselves everywhere around the house, yet on the other hand I'm really never going to see the photos unless they're hung around the house. I have photos of my pets as they grew up and in their outfits
3.gif
My question is, if you walked into a house that only had photos of the couple and thier furballs would you find that to be odd? Would a better option for the main areas be netrual pieces of art?

eta: I don't hang anything in the bedroom, it creeps me out during, well, you know
31.gif

drk

Brilliant_Rock
We went to a party at a friend's house last weekend. They got married almost a year ago, have no pets, and don't have kids yet. They have all sorts of photos throughout the house. Lots of cool shots of different countries from vacations (including some that her husband was in before they married), and some couples shots thrown in. We've never hung up a photo of ourselves as a couple, but I actually liked seeing theirs. In fact, we typically don't take "couple" shots of ourselves when we're on vacation anyhow, since we prefer landscape and architecture shots.

So I guess I don't think that photos of just the two of you are weird. As long as not every photo you have put up around the house is some photo of you two! One friend we had would come back from vacation and about 50% of his photos would be of him and his girlfriend: here we are in front of the pool, at dinner, having a drink at the bar, on the beach... that was odd.

ETA: I do prefer pieces of art in most places in the house. I plan to have one or two walls where we'll hang family photos, lots of empty walls, and then other art elsewhere. And cute shots of your pets would be fun to look at too.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think it''s a bit strange when a couple has multiple photos of themselves up in their home. When we were house hunting we saw one house with five or six framed photos from the couple''s wedding up throughout the house, and we thought it was really bizarre.

In our own home we only have artwork up on the walls in our dining room and living room, and then framed photographs sitting on the shelves in our family room. One of the photographs is a random non-posed shot of the two of us that a friend took when we first started dating. It''s black and white and it looks more arsty than anything else. The other photos are similar artsy-looking shots of our furbabies and close loved ones.

I suppose what I''m saying is that one framed family photo doesn''t seem odd to me, but multiple framed *posed* shots of a couple does look a bit strange. I have friends who have a lot of pictures of themselves up in their own bedroom, which I think is the way to go if you really want to have a lot around.

They''re not my style, but have you considered getting one of those digital photo frames? You can have hundreds of pictures in those.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I think that life is too short! It''s your house, it''s meant to please you, not visitors. Who cares if other people think it looks odd? Heaven only knows what people think of my house, but it pleases me and that''s the point of home. They are at liberty never to return if the um, ecclectic look doesn''t appeal.
2.gif

Put up the pics that make you smile. Put them wherever you like. Look at them often and be happy that you have your family, pets and all. They''re yours, it''s your home. Go for it! My aunt and uncle lost their precious little dog last month and they are heartbroken. It reminds me that pets'' lives are often shorter than our own, so if you want their photos and you want to celebrate that they are part of your family, that''s your perogative.

We don''t live in show houses*. It doesn''t matter what anyone else thinks of your art / decoration / taste.

* Um, I certainly don''t. Old, draughty, rambling house with three or four generations worth of hand me downs and mismatched objects.
9.gif
I get twitchy in a building where things were all bought at the same time and match even vaguely.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Do whatever you want!

I keep imagining my wedding pictures having at least some pictures of my cats in them and you know what, I could care less if people think I''m weird! They are me and my BF''s tight little family that we have now. Just where I am sitting in my apt I have 3 pictures of me and my BF and about 10 others pictures of places we have been, our friends, and our cats. I love seeing people''s taste in pictures that they hang up in their house. Every time I babysit I enjoy looking around all the rooms at pictures they chose to put up.

Also, put them where you want. To echo another poster, who cares what other people think about YOUR pictures? Your visitors are going to be there what, 1% of the time that YOU and your DH will be there. Those are your family pictures!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t find that weird at all.
2.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I, personally, do not like having pictures of myself or DH up in our house. No wedding pictures, no family pictures, etc. The only one we have is one of our entire college major (about 50-60 of us) and it's in our spare bedroom. But that's just me! I hate looking at pictures of myself
3.gif
I do love putting up pictures of animals though! I don't see anything wrong with furbabies everywhere, especially if they are artsy or especially good photos. I will only frame something if it looks more or less professional - I'm not one to throw up random snapshots.

I have friends who framed a ton of pictures from vacations, parties, etc. Most are of friends, but plenty of them also has the couple itself in them. I don't find it weird at all, mostly because the pictures are small and grouped together so they make sense. Kind of like a collage (except all pictures are in individual frames) on one wall. It's also less weird because it's confined to one wall, rather than having pictures of them all over the house.

I have another pair of friends with a gigantic picture from their wedding hanging over the fireplace. I do find that weird! Haha.

So I guess it's all in how/where you hang it, how big it is, etc.

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
If there were only a few, some candid, some posed, I wouldn''t think anything of it. Variety would be key. A whole bunch of perfectly posed shots would be a little Stepford-ish, IMO

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Haven, here is my experience;

My family has members who have a ton of photos of them "the couple". Large ones. Black and whites, color, sepia, drawings, renderings...all with intricate matting and frames....placed prominently in the entry, living, dining, kitchen, and bathroom. On the refrigerator, and on the kitchen counter, in the window sill, too! Ok, so I get it...YOU LIVE HERE, YOU ARE BE UDIFUL PEOPLE. Hubby wonders why they don''t just hang mirrors and look at themselves that way! (he once said..THIS IS ME? HOW DO YOU LIKE ME?)

Ok, my post isn''t to offend anyone else or anyone''s decision to display their own photos. It is just way over the top in THIS house. Come to think of it...her office has the same SAME photos. One is a pencil drawing of this one photo...so it is there TWICE for your enjoyment. (house and office so X4).

I like photos of my hubby and my pets interacting. I prefer to catch pets candid...to capture their personality. Hang those, and you will get rave reviews!

To Sparkly blonde, I would love LOVE LOVE to see photos of you and your pets. And pics of your pets everywhere. That would leave me all warm and fuzzy! And odds are if you have pets...I would be fuzzy leaving huh?
Everything is better covered in pet hair! Even chocolate!
2.gif

Hey sweetie, it is your house, do what you want! Do what makes your house YOUR HOME. FaGEtABOUT what I think! OK?

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
In our office we have some vacation photos, we framed some 8x10''s of us and our b-party and put them by the front door and we have our matted guest book frame hanging on our staircase landing. I tried not to go overboard and I think I got just the right amount. We have quite a bit of artwork up in the bedroom and first floor though.

We have only been married for 8 months and no kids yet so I know when we have kids I will replace a lot of ''us'' photos with family and child photos. I think as long as you don''t go crazy and do tons in each room its fine, but it is ultimately your house so do what you want!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I do not think it would be odd. Like everyone else said as long as you have other things too. I currently only have one of DH and I and it is a black and white from our 1 yr anny and it is hanging in our bedroom. We want to get professional photos done and I will hang them.

DH has always had this weird idea to hang a picture of himself doing something in a certain room, in that room. For instance, he wants a picture of himself brushing his teeth hanging in the bathroom. He wants a picture of himself typing an email hanging in the den, etc. It is a different idea and kind of cool, but not all of our visitors want to see him brushing he teeth every time they need to use the bathroom.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I would think it''s weird. lol!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Small framed pictures on a shelf/piano, yes.

Hung large photo portraits, ummm no. It just smacks of vanity/extreme youth to me. You can always tell when you''re in the home of someone under 30. They''ll have the wedding invitation framed, the bouquet displayed, and numerous wedding and/or glamour photos everywhere.
2.gif

I collect art, so nothing but the real deal for me.
1.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Formal portraits "everywhere around the house?" Yes, I would find that a bit odd.

One ir two portraits and smaller pictures commenorating special events or trips? Not odd.

A "portrait gallery" in a hallway or staircase? Not odd.

But as others have pointed out, it's your house and it's there primarily for your comfort and pleasure. If that's your vision for your house -- then go for it. And if you can make a photo of a dog in an outfit rock, then I'd say more power to you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a clear sign of mental illness in my book.

Not! haha.... we have a few photos of us in te house, I like looking at photos of us on trips. A few of us kissing. Maybe I am just an ego maniac though.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread! Before reading it, I never realised that most photos in our apartment are of my DH and me!!!

I think we started this almost 10 years ago, when we were in a long distance relationship and saw each other only every 6 months or so (for 3 1/2 years)... So each of us had our ''couple photos'' at home... But even after we moved in together, we continued that tradition with funny pictures from holidays etc...

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would be weird if they were like posed portraits of the two of you - several of them. But just candid shots of you guys in different places or to have 1 posed shot of all of you together - totally normal! I have a friend that has one wall in their house (a hallway) that is completely covered in framed pictures - pictures of them all their friends / family, pets that have been in their lives etc. All the pics are very good - no crappy blurry or boring ones. I LOVE it, a great conversation starter and way to spice up a boring hallway - place where guests will gather during a party etc.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
DH and I have about a dozen framed photograph of ourselves in our house and I've never really given it any thought whether or not guests think it's odd. I also have landscape-type shots from trips, pictures of family members, etc. The pics of DH and I are from our favorite trips and they make me happy when I walk by them every day. I don't have any posed shots, but we've been talking about getting some done with our two dogs. I definitely decorate for myself and I enjoy the pictures around our house because they remind me of my favorite moments.

ETA: I have 3 framed pictures of DH and (and one of the dogs) on my desk, haha. I can't help it, I get a lot of enjoyment from thinking about life outside of my cube--I can honestly say I look at them and it cheers me up every single day.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Having framed photos of us on the walls is not my style. We have one candid shot on the nightstand in our bedroom and a couple others on the shelves in my office. We also have some other candid shots of family on the shelves in my office. But nothing in the rest of our house. We had some people over about a year ago and the wife mentioned we have NO photos anywhere. I told her it wasn''t my style, I prefered art. She said they were the opposite and had photos EVERYWHERE. I''m going to be honest and say that houses dripping with photos of the residents on every wall and surface kind of freaks me out.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 8:44:22 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
ETA: I have 3 framed pictures of DH and (and one of the dogs) on my desk, haha. I can''t help it, I get a lot of enjoyment from thinking about life outside of my cube--I can honestly say I look at them and it cheers me up every single day.

Me, too! I have three framed ones and one loose. I smile every time I look at them.

I think having excessive portraits around your house is weird, but a few tastefully placed ones isn''t a big deal. We actually don''t have any up at the moment, but at our old house we had two, both in the bedroom.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read through the other responses.

I''ll be totally honest, I have *no* idea what is hanging on the walls at my friends'' houses. None. I was sitting here trying to imagine if I''ve seen pics of them, their kids, or their furbabies hanging on their walls. I''m sure they do and I''m sure I''ve seen a pic or two but I just can''t remember.

Your home is your home and if you want to put up pics of yourself as a family then I don''t see the problem. As long as there isn''t an artsy nekkid pic of you staring at me while I use the restroom
32.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
No, I wouln''t find it strange. I love looking at ''couple'' photos.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
DH and I don''t have kids (yet) so all of our pictures are of us and our family. When I was single I had framed photos EVERYWHERE in my apartment, especially in the living room. Then when we moved in together, I put them away and have yet to put them up in our office. I do have a ton of wedding pictures up in our bedroom and only two in "public" spaces in our house. Neither of those pictures is of us kissing, but they are both on the larger side (11x14 and 8x10). I deliberately put the majority of our wedding pictures in the bedroom because I LOOOOVE waking up and seeing them first thing. They are also there so I can easily close the door and keep people from thinking that we are total narcissists. I paid a pretty penny for those photos and I love them and they make me so happy so I see nothing wrong with putting them up in the house. My close friends who have been together for 6 years now have traveled a ton togerher and they have a lot of snapshots up in their living room from their travels. I don''t think its weird at all. Its their home!

I will probably take them down and put up regular art when we go to sell though, but mostly because I read somewhere that you should try to remove really personal things from your home when you''re trying to sell so its easier for a potential buyer to imagine themselves in the house.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 9:52:04 AM
Author: fiery

I''ll be totally honest, I have *no* idea what is hanging on the walls at my friends'' houses. None. I was sitting here trying to imagine if I''ve seen pics of them, their kids, or their furbabies hanging on their walls. I''m sure they do and I''m sure I''ve seen a pic or two but I just can''t remember.

Your home is your home and if you want to put up pics of yourself as a family then I don''t see the problem. As long as there isn''t an artsy nekkid pic of you staring at me while I use the restroom
32.gif
This is why, if any of my boudoir pics ever make it to print, they are going to be staying in our closet, where no one else will see them.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
We have plenty of framed wedding photos around the house, but mostly ones on shelves vs. the framed ones on wall. We do have one framed collage in our bedroom, one shot of everyone (all guests,etc.) in a hallway.Some include family-so I tried to not be too vain! We also have photos of our little girl, family shots of us 3...but not too many b/c it's hard to get these..always just me and baby or DH and baby,etc. I hope to get professional shots of my little girl eventually, and then, yup..those will go everywhere
emwink.gif
A house takes alot to fill and while we have artwork etc on walls, there's still alot of empty space and art can take time to collect. I'm really not into photos of myself, but figure these professional wedding shots cost a lot of money and were well done so why not display them rather than keep them in a box under a bed. Plus certain rooms (family room) are a great place for personal photos rather than contemplative art..so you can have it both ways. I think as the years pass they will have more sentimentality rather, than "oh that's US again from our wedding 2 years ago!".

ETA: As to the OP question, if your family is you, DH and furbabies, then why not. It's true that having children allows some more variety to the shots (ie growing up through the years, combinations of people), but again, it's your house and this is your family so go ahead and put the photos around of times/events that you want to remember...or that are just great shots!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I have tons of photos displayed in my house. Some are of DH and I, some are us with our families and friends and more recently there are lots of our baby girl. I don''t know why anyone would think it is weird to display photos of yourself in your home and what''s more, I couldn''t care less if they did. It is my home and I love looking at the photos I have displayed. I have some art as well, but it doesn''t have as much meaning to me as the photographs. We paid a lot of money for our engagement pictures, wedding pictures and professional photos of our daughter - why on earth would I keep them in a closet? Everytime I look at the photos of our wedding day hanging on our walls, it brings back all of my wonderful memories of that day. And no piece of art could ever warm my heart the way the photos of my daughter do.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 12:00:23 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Small framed pictures on a shelf/piano, yes.

Hung large photo portraits, ummm no. It just smacks of vanity/extreme youth to me. You can always tell when you''re in the home of someone under 30. They''ll have the wedding invitation framed, the bouquet displayed, and numerous wedding and/or glamour photos everywhere.
2.gif

I collect art, so nothing but the real deal for me.
1.gif
Hahahaha! I have a boquet framed from our one year anniversary and in some ways I''m sick of looking at it. On the other hand it reminds me that not everything in life goes as planned. Since we eloped, for our one year we did a vow renewal with a dress, boquet, etc. The hairdresser didn''t show to do my hair, the boquet had the wrong flowers in it and there was no time to fix it and the fondu place forgot that we had a reservation and had to figure out where to put us.

Here''s a sign of my age - I was so thrilled to hang my dart board and not have anybody remind me of the holes I''ll put in the wall with it! MUAHAHAHHAA!
9.gif

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 9:52:04 AM
Author: fiery

32.gif
My boss at my last job had nude photos of herself with her violin in her bathroom - and no, the violin didn''t cover anything up! Strange thing was that she didn''t care that everybody now knew what she looked like naked
40.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
We probably have a dozen photos max up around our place. I''d say that half are of DH and I. We also have a digital frame that displays a slideshow of about 50 pics, those are mostly scenic travel and group shots.

I can see our photo collection growing once our LO arrives!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I say, make sure to have trips/do interesting things so that you have a variety of fun photos for your walls. Hey, its as good excuse as any...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results