shape
carat
color
clarity

Fake pearl ring-Shocked!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hello Everyone,
I purchased this vintage 14k yellow gold claw ring with a white pearl on EBay for an awesome $40.
It looked real, it felt real, and even passed the tooth test.

So I had it and adored it for a good three months before I decided that the pearl was too dull and tired for me to enjoy it anymore.
I decided to risk trashing the setting and took my chances and took the pearl out myself......to my surprise...the pearl was synthetic quartz with a very hard and thick fake shell nacre....i was shocked to say the least; I had never been wrong in my discernment between a natural pearl and a fake pearl, ever.
I was blown away that this one had seemingly swept through my radar.
A necklace of many pearls is much easier to discern as theres so many of them and therefore so many chances for one to chip a little, but this ring was very convincing.

Luckily I didnt damage the setting and it tested to be 14k so I am in the process of ordering a beautiful Tahitian for it which I can also post if setting it goes well! Wish me luck!

Overall, I have no idea who made the ring or what materials were used in the pearl but man was it convincing.
This thread might make you think twice about your pearl rings!
I didnt know it wasnt real until I actually broke apart the "pearl".

I wish I had a picture of the pearl ring but really it looked just like any other natural vintage white pearl..

Has anybody else ever encountered a similar situation with a faux pearl ring?

20180921_232739.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear! Please show us that pearl!

Your pearl could have been a faux "shell pearl" that I see all the time on the internet. They say that the coating is made from MOP, but I have never seen one in person.
I have a rather large 9mm akoya that has very little nacre on it.
Years ago, I bought this ring on Ebay because of the 18k setting and the low price, $99.
After I got it, I could see that the hole was drilled into a spot that the nacre never formed over, a hole, so to speak. I could see that the nacre was paper thin. I was very disappointed. So you just never know what you're getting! I've often been tempted to set a SS pearl in it.
I cant wait to see how yours turns out!
That's a nice setting, and a Tahitian will look great!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The setting is beautiful! The Tahitian will be gorgeous in there. You have some very nice projects ongoing!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
The setting is beautiful! The Tahitian will be gorgeous in there. You have some very nice projects ongoing!

Aww thanks, you're sweet (:
Like ive said in my emerald cab thread, for whatever reason this time every year has the highest traffic for collecting gems/rings for me.
-I purchased my emerald cab, my lilac star sapphire (which was my larger purchase), I have projects going for two cat eye aquamarines which will become a set of couples memorial rings, and I have that sterling silver star sapphire stacking set in progress, purchased my dream ring as far as white pearls go, and then have this little claw-Tahitian ring going which I am literally setting myself.
I feel like I'm forgetting something...
Oh and I have a white gold baby blue star sapphire ring purchased vintage on its way (:
I had also planned to set my black opal but my star sapphire purchase has pushed back its setting day. Which I'm ok with

The lilac color changing star was my big purchase and probably my favorite...I'm thinking that I will want to set it also in a claw setting and use two tiny diamonds, but it will be a while before I can afford a proper setting for it since it will have to be custom.
I think yellow gold will only compliment the color and the claw settings will show off some of the girth of the gem.

Anyways thanks for being a source of information! I always love hearing others pov as I still have to much to learn when it comes to gems.
I came to PS more into the magic of gemstones but didn't know in depth quality factors so this journey of being here for me was to learn how to marry those two aspects; not get too far into the hippy dippy side of gems and always get gems of low quality, but also not too far into quality to where I reject everything even if I love it.

& @stracci2000 I wish that I had some semblance of a pearl to show but it broke into bits and I threw them away. I didnt think to make a post until after the faux pearl destroying was over! It was glued in there so I had to hammer and crush the "pearl" to get it out....and all I had was a regular hammer so the probability of destroying some of the prongs was very real...luckily I didnt and I'm very happy with how it came out but yeah, getting that faux pearl out was harder than I had originally thought it was going to be.
Hopefully setting it goes well, ive set and unset many SS rings before but never solid gold, so I'm a little nervous.
All is have is my bezel pusher and my hands so well see...eeeeep :eek-2:

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Like ive said in my emerald cab thread, for whatever reason this time every year has the highest traffic for collecting gems/rings for me.
-I purchased my emerald cab, my lilac star sapphire (which was my larger purchase), I have projects going for two cat eye aquamarines which will become a set of couples memorial rings, and I have that sterling silver star sapphire stacking set in progress, purchased my dream ring as far as white pearls go, and then have this little claw-Tahitian ring going which I am literally setting myself.
Oh and I have a white gold baby blue star sapphire ring purchased vintage on its way (:
I had also planned to set my black opal but my star sapphire purchase has pushed back its setting day. Which I'm ok with

The lilac color changing star was my big purchase and probably my favorite...I'm thinking that I will want to set it also in a claw setting and use two tiny diamonds, but it will be a while before I can afford a proper setting for it since it will have to be custom.
I think yellow gold will only compliment the color and the claw settings will show off some of the girth of the gem.

Anyways thanks for being a source of information! I always love hearing others pov as I still have to much to learn when it comes to gems.
I came to PS more into the magic of gemstones but didn't know in depth quality factors so this journey of being here for me was to learn how to marry those two aspects; not get too far into the hippy dippy side of gems and always get gems of low quality, but also not too far into quality to where I reject everything even if I love it.

& @stracci2000 I wish that I had some semblance of a pearl to show but it broke into bits and I threw them away. I didnt think to make a post until after the faux pearl destroying was over! It was glued in there so I had to hammer and crush the "pearl" to get it out....and all I had was a regular hammer so the probability of destroying some of the prongs was very real...luckily I didnt and I'm very happy with how it came out but yeah, getting that faux pearl out was harder than I had originally thought it was going to be.
Hopefully setting it goes well, ive set and unset many SS rings before but never solid gold, so I'm a little nervous.

You’re welcome but I’m no expert either! I collect on a very small budget myself, practically everything I own is under that $1250 limit. It stresses me out if my jewelry gets too pricey. The result of course is that I will have to compromise on something like cut or size, so like you, I try not to become too perfectionist and price myself out of the game :-o. Good luck with the DIY setting and let us know how it goes!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love that you took matters into your own hands!
You just have to get in there and be aggressive!
Hammer, chisel, dynamite, whatever it takes!
I have played "guerilla jeweler", many times.
And not always with good results!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, here's a little tidbit for the next time you are removing a pearl.....
If you gently heat the setting (not the pearl) with a torch, or even a lighter, it weakens the glue and you can usually wiggle the pearl right off the post.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I really don't recommend you heat the metal to remove a pearl from a post. The wriggling is far more likely to snap the post off . Get some glue dissolver next time

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I think @stracci2000 gave that advice under the situation that she knew that the setting was inexpensive and that I already took a huge risk in damaging it by breaking the faux pearl with a hammer so she also gave another tactic for that situation in where the risk is low and damaging it is very plausable.
That said thank you for the advice, I didnt know that even existed!

And heres the batch where I ordered my little 7mm round Tahitian. (: excited to receive it soon and try my luck at setting it!

Screenshot_2018-09-28-14-14-21.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @stracci2000 gave that advice under the situation that she knew that the setting was inexpensive and that I already took a huge risk in damaging it by breaking the faux pearl with a hammer so she also gave another tactic for that situation in where the risk is low and damaging it is very plausable.
That said thank you for the advice, I didnt know that even existed!

And heres the batch where I ordered my little 7mm round Tahitian. (: excited to receive it soon and try my luck at setting it!

Screenshot_2018-09-28-14-14-21.png
@TheGarnetGirl, I am looking forward to seeing the finished ring!
Some of my advice and ideas are gleaned from years and years of trial and error, and many discussions with jewelers and novices. I have been an amateur silversmith since 2001. What I have discovered is, there is more than one way to remove a pearl!
Do whatever works for you, within reason! Everybody has their own style and direction.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So the seller is taking quite a long time to send my Tahitian for this claw setting- but in the mean time I thought itd be fun if I showed you another self setting project with gold that I just completed!

So below I found this solid 10k yellow gold vintage setting with unusually long prongs and a plastic bead in there for $25 on eBay.
s-l400 (10).jpg s-l400 (11).jpg
I received it yesterday and was surprised at how substantial the setting is! I then took the bead out and tried to see if any of the loose stones that I owned fit the bill!
I finally decided to try this grey-blue/green tourmaline in an interesting cut and it held in the setting wonderfully even before setting it- so, I went for it and love how it turned out.
It reminds me of an item that you'd find in an over priced mystical-esque etsy jewelry shop (no hate- I love those shops!) Where they sell a 9k gold ring and name it "Celestial Lunar Eclipse Ring" and talk about the properties of tourmaline and sell it for $350.00 because its a little different looking and then sell the 14k version for $650.00. You guys know those shops right??
Haha
20181003_180803.jpg 20181003_180756.jpg
20181004_070518.jpg
20181004_070256.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could the pearl been a Mallorica pearl?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1 Mallorica pearls are one brand of fake pearl - they are made in a factory on the island of Majorca.

2 Suspect the claws on that ring have simply been bent over like that when some bead has been bunged in in place of a much bigger stone. If you wanted you could simply straighten out the claws and set a bigger stone

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Hmm ill look into Mallorica pearls and see if they fit the one I had!

& I did end up setting a bigger stone into the ring(: the fake pearl bead was about 4.4mm round and the little grey tourmaline is about 5x6.6mm.
I'm very happy with how it came out!
I think the long prongs give it this caged appearance which makes the ring look different to any other ring. A little more artsy, hence the idea that it reminded me of something that would sell in one of those magical jewelry stores on etsy.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm ill look into Mallorica pearls and see if they fit the one I had!

& I did end up setting a bigger stone into the ring(: the fake pearl bead was about 4.4mm round and the little grey tourmaline is about 5x6.6mm.
I'm very happy with how it came out!
I think the long prongs give it this caged appearance which makes the ring look different to any other ring. A little more artsy, hence the idea that it reminded me of something that would sell in one of those magical jewelry stores on etsy.
I love that you are thinking outside the box.
And finding bargains on gold settings!
I was in a Goodwill a few weeks ago and there was a 14k vintage setting from the 1920s that had a glass bead inserted where the diamond used to be. A glass bead with a hole...eeek! The salesperson looked at me strangely when I pointed this out. :roll2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
TA-DA

Here's the finished ring! I originally ordered a round Tahitian but it ended up being 2mm round too small so I ordered a larger circled one and I love how it came out.
The handmade element is evident but hey, it gives it its charm, right? (;

Also what should I name it; The Beehive or The Pinecone ring???

20181016_081415.jpg 20181016_081413.jpg 20181016_081348.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
TA-DA

Here's the finished ring! I originally ordered a round Tahitian but it ended up being 2mm round too small so I ordered a larger circled one and I love how it came out.
The handmade element is evident but hey, it gives it its charm, right? (;

Also what should I name it; The Beehive or The Pinecone ring???

20181016_081415.jpg 20181016_081413.jpg 20181016_081348.jpg

It looks wonderful! It does remind me of a beehive so I vote for that one,

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you remember those plastic skep shaped holders for balls of wool?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say Beehive!
It looks great. Yay for making your own pearl ring!!:razz:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, what a great pearl you chose! I love it... it reminds me of circular pond ripples when a pebble is thrown into water. Also a soft serve ice cream!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
1 Mallorica pearls are one brand of fake pearl - they are made in a factory on the island of Majorca.

2 Suspect the claws on that ring have simply been bent over like that when some bead has been bunged in in place of a much bigger stone. If you wanted you could simply straighten out the claws and set a bigger stone

After thinking about what you said I wanted to see if I could put a bigger stone in and since the setting was so cheap I decided to try it!
Nothing I had worked until I decided to put in a loose light brown stone that my mother gave me . I suspect its a CZ and would never wear stones that aren't natural but I decided to make an exception since it has some sentimentality and is from her.
Once I set it I realized that it was made for this little setting!
I love it so much more!

And it sure looks real...something about the setting made it less sparkly/obvious looking.
Although I can appreciate the beauty of it being a CZ and it has an energy of its own.

Just thought I'd update you all!

20181027_102209.jpg 20181027_102212_HDR.jpg 20181027_102422.jpg 20181027_102421.jpg
20181027_103534.jpg 20181027_101912.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After thinking about what you said I wanted to see if I could put a bigger stone in and since the setting was so cheap I decided to try it!
Nothing I had worked until I decided to put in a loose light brown stone that my mother gave me . I suspect its a CZ and would never wear stones that aren't natural but I decided to make an exception since it has some sentimentality and is from her.
Once I set it I realized that it was made for this little setting!
I love it so much more!

And it sure looks real...something about the setting made it less sparkly/obvious looking.
Although I can appreciate the beauty of it being a CZ and it has an energy of its own.

Just thought I'd update you all!

20181027_102209.jpg 20181027_102212_HDR.jpg 20181027_102422.jpg 20181027_102421.jpg
20181027_103534.jpg 20181027_101912.jpg
That turned out so well! It does look very natural...I thought a topaz or garnet! Beautiful and well done.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So, I am psycho.

Everytime I opened my jewelry box and saw the 10k setting with the CZ, I couldnt help but wish that it were a real stone and thats when I knew that I needed to put another stone in and really utilize the setting and create a ring that I'll wear; thats if the setting can take my amateur jeweler methods (;
So, I took the chance on having to possibly scrap the setting and did the darn thing.
Well it did work and it took me rummaging through my 4ft tall jewelry box through trays of raw stones, until I found a lavendar tear drop shaped fresh water pearl and I immediately knew that it was the one! I mean it started out with a fake plastic bead pearl...it might as well end up with a natural one right?

So I present, the last and final change to the poor vintage setting! haha
But now I truly love it and will ACTUALLY wear it!! The color is the most accurate in the first photo of the sideshot hand and on the spirit amethyst crystal.

20181109_192957.jpg 20181109_192208.jpg 20181109_192207.jpg 20181109_192134.jpg 20181109_193900~2.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results