shape
carat
color
clarity

fake certification?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joe h

Rough_Rock
Hi
we recently bought a 2 car. f color si1 diamond egl cert. the hard copy cert arrived today and the diagram of the flaws is empty. no markings to identify the flaws of the diamond. the explanation given to me was it was a bad artist, it is the numbers not the diagram that matters. Could this be a fake certification? We have paid for the diamond but have not picked it up. Help

Trinity

Rough_Rock
I am not a professional when it comes to diamonds, but I know that there is no excuse of why the cert should be that way. What a poor, pathetic excuse they gave you. Of course, they would't want you to change your mind about the diamond so they will tell you why it is okay the way it is. The plotting is extremely important!!
That is completely unacceptable. I know if it was me, I would demand a refund. Having no plots on the cert is the same as not having a cert at all in my opinion. I am sure you will get better advice from other posters, but I just wanted to give my .02 cents.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If it's an SI1, there are likely visible inclusions under magnification.

If they aren't mapped on the grading report, then how are you supposed to identify YOUR diamond? Something's amiss here, and I'd resolve it before completing the transaction.

What's your return policy? Is it refund or exchange? What's the return window? If it's full-refund for any reason and a decent window, then you could take the diamond to an independent appraiser for peace of mind.

I personally wouldn't complete the transaction without a reasonable, full-refund window.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
In addition to the other comments,.........

Are there any notations or comments like "Clouds not shown", "Pinpoints not shown", "Surface graining", etc.????

It is rather odd for an SI1 to not have crystals, a needle, some pinpoints, or something in the diagram. Does sound rather suspicious.
confused.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of certificate is it? Not all EGL "products" will have the diagram completed... If this is a faxed copy, chances are the marking did not go through - quite usual.

Surely the look of the stone is what matters. I would just ignore the "good/bad artist" issue and get the stone appraised during the return period. This will hedge all bets anyway. Of course, this is just my 0.2...

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I remember a previous post where even GIA forgot to mark up the inclusion plot on a stone! If this is not a copy of the certificate, then your best bet would be to have your vendor contact EGL regarding the cert number and request an explanation. I would think that EGL would remedy the situation free of charge.
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results