shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair Price for Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrapolutropon

Rough_Rock
I looked at the ring under a loupe and felt very good about the clarity. I got final cash offer at $7,900 for the following ring (Stats are from the EGL USA Certficate). My only hesitation is that the color doesn't seem like an H, but that may be because I had primarily looked at GIA stones before this one:

Weight 1.51 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity VS2
Measurements 7.39 - 7.31 x 4.37 mm
Depth 59.3
Table 63.0
Crown 12.1
Pavilion 41.7
Girdle MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT BLUE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade VERY GOOD

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it looks more yellow because the proportions are very bad for light return.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
??? Do you have the table and depth %''s reversed???

andrapolutropon

Rough_Rock
Those dimensions I copied and pasted from the online EGL USA report checker. So those are the correct dimensions. When I looked at the stone it seemed very brilliant. I didnt equate color in the diamond with loss of light. So what are your thoughts regarding the total value/cost? I am not comfortable purchasing a diamond online.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2008 2:17:39 AM
Author: JulieN
it looks more yellow because the proportions are very bad for light return.
Agreed.

Light Return Fair
Fire Poor
Scintillation Poor
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 6.4 - Fair

That''s not good.

I did a pricescope search and it seems a similar diamond online would be about $6400, so depending upon the setting you got I''d say it''s a reasonable price....especially from a B&M.

andrapolutropon

Rough_Rock
Where do those stats come from february2003bride? If i use the Holloway Cut Advisor https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp I get the following results:

Factor Grade
Light Return Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread

Inputs:
Depth % : 59.3
Table % : 63
Crown % (NOT ANGLE, EGL US LISTING THE %) : 12.1
Pavilion % (NOT ANGLE, EGL US LISTING THE %) : 41.7
Culet* % : 0

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/13/2008 7:20:47 PM
Author: andrapolutropon
Where do those stats come from february2003bride? If i use the Holloway Cut Advisor https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp I get the following results:

Factor Grade
Light Return Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread

Inputs:
Depth % : 59.3
Table % : 63
Crown % (NOT ANGLE, EGL US LISTING THE %) : 12.1
Pavilion % (NOT ANGLE, EGL US LISTING THE %) : 41.7
Culet* % : 0

I got this result too. But it scored 4.7- Buy only if price is your main critieria. This really is not a desireable score by any means. I would rather have lower clarity (a much less visual effect) than this degree of cut. I would be willing to bet a superior cut J color might face-up whiter than this guy. I agree with the above who said it looks yellower because of cut. Also may in combination with the fact EGL typically grades soft on color.
I would compare it against something cut more to ideal terms, even a lower color stone, just to see the effect cut may be having on the stones visual impact.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do better, focus on cut quality. A well cut diamond will out sparkle and look whiter than this diamond even if it is lower in color or clarity.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I think you could go lower in color and clarity with an ideal cut and get a superior stone. The HCA states that this stone is bordering on fish eye. This is not going to look good in most lighting. I'd look out for a big dark spot in the middle.

Did you look at the stone under any other lighting than showroom? Poorly cut stones can still sparkle under store lighting, but can be quite dead in most other lighting environments.

You're sure you don't want to consider online? Lot's of vendors make it easy for you. I'd really consider it, as you can get better deals online.

andrapolutropon

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your help. This site is great, I almost feel I know too much and it is getting overwhelming. I''ll keep on hunting in the jewelry district.

andrapolutropon

Rough_Rock
How about this one:

1.5Karat H VS2 EGL EUROPE $7800 cash

Measurements: 7.32 - 7.22 x 4.51 mm

total depth%: 62
table width%: 59
crown height%: 14
pavilion depth%: 43
girdle thickness: medium faceted (what does faceted mean in the girdle?)

polish: very good
symmetry very good
culet: none
floresc: none

After reading the advanced tutorial I kind of came away with the impression that EGL EUROPE was not a very good certifying body. How do their color and clarity grades stack up? On paper I am in love with this diamond, but the EGL Europe is worrying.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I have an EGL US stone that I had independently appraised, and I was happy that it matched the EGL US report. I don't know about EGL Europe except for what I've read on pricescope. I'd just try to go for GIA or AGS graded stones, because you may end up paying for higher color/clarity and receive lower. The prices can change pretty dramatically with color and clarity, so you want to make sure you get what you pay for. Have you seen any EGL US stones in your searching? If you go with an EGL stone, I'd get it independently appraised(before you buy), just so you know what you're getting. If it is in fact a warmer color/lower clarity, the vendor may reduce the price--that is, if you like the stone)

That stone looked good on the HCA with the crown/pavillion percentages as opposed to angles. How does it look to you? Can you take it outside and view it natural light?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results