shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price for an emerald?

myrongaines

Rough_Rock
What do y’all think of this emerald? It’s a mildly oiled 0.37ct emerald of African origin going for $800 per carat.

I kind of like the pattern of the inclusions (and it’s not a very expensive) but no amount of “if you like it, buy it”’ will make me want to buy a $5 gem for $800/ct.

Video:
This particular emerald is fine with me if it’s more or less fairly valued for what it is.

I’ve been looking for a round emerald in the 5mm diameter range (0.35-0.45ct range). I prefer unoiled but light oiling is ok. I’m having a hard time locating what I’m looking for so if you have any suggestions I’m all ears. Budget is up to $3000/ct.

37D47FEC-819E-4BFA-BA23-5BE5C8409423.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do y’all think of this emerald? It’s a mildly oiled 0.37ct emerald of African origin going for $800 per carat.

I kind of like the pattern of the inclusions (and it’s not a very expensive) but no amount of “if you like it, buy it”’ will make me want to buy a $5 gem for $800/ct.

Video:

You wrote, "no amount of “if you like it, buy it”’ will make me want to buy a $5 gem for $800/ct." ...

I'm confused.
First, based on what you wrote
A 0.37 ct gem going for $800 per carat would cost $296, not $5.

Why do you call it a $5 gem?
Does the ad say the price is $5?

I don't understand.

myrongaines

Rough_Rock
You wrote, "no amount of “if you like it, buy it”’ will make me want to buy a $5 gem for $800/ct." ...

I'm confused.
First, based on what you wrote
A 0.37 ct gem going for $800 per carat would cost $296, not $5.

Why do you call it a $5 gem?
Does the ad say the price is $5?

I don't understand.

I’m not being literal. I was simply saying that if the gem is grossly overpriced I’ll keep looking. I wanted to gauge what the crowd at PS thinks with their collective experience in regard to emeralds, in particular the emerald mentioned in the OP.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the clarification. :))

Megan Hill

Rough_Rock

Video:
This particular emerald is fine with me if it’s more or less fairly valued for what it is.

I’ve been looking for a round emerald in the 5mm diameter range (0.35-0.45ct range). I prefer unoiled but light oiling is ok. I’m having a hard time locating what I’m looking for so if you have any suggestions I’m all ears. Budget is up to $3000/ct.

37D47FEC-819E-4BFA-BA23-5BE5C8409423.jpeg

I think the price is a bit high for an African emerald, you should see more emerald options. I recently saw on the account @gemfactor_emeralds that they have beautiful round emeralds the size you are looking for and they are Colombian.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Realistically, at that price point, at least half of your budget is going to seller's time spent corresponding with you and photographing and image-editing and shipping, etc. So the same stone may be half that price at a gem show. Not sure how much lower you can go -- this seems like a low-risk purchase.

Useless aside: It's also why you don't buy super-cheap wine because almost none of the price goes for the grapes (so I am told) -- by the time you factor in bottling, marketing, and distribution. I think you need to be in the high teens per bottle at least before you are paying for the quality of the grape. (That said, I buy and drink my share of $9.99 wine -- but it's local.)

If, OTOH, you were asking "What is the best emerald I can get for $1,000?," then there is a more complicated answer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results