shape
carat
color
clarity

faceted vs non-faceted girdles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sammyjoey

Rough_Rock
i''ve seen some girdles listed as "faceted" while others are not...what, if any, is the difference here?

thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
faceted girdles will look a bit ''sparkly'' while unfaceted ones don''t so much. usually ''j'' color stones and lower have unfaceted girdles and the higher colors have faceted girdles.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
A faceted girdle is a nice touch and it often betrays a nice attention to detail by the cutter. It will have reflective properties whereas a non-faceted girdle is simply hit with the wheel a bit and often has a frosted look about it. Either is fine but faceted is just a bit classier in my opinion.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 6:30:36 PM
Author: C Smith
A faceted girdle is a nice touch and it often betrays a nice attention to detail by the cutter. It will have reflective properties whereas a non-faceted girdle is simply hit with the wheel a bit and often has a frosted look about it. Either is fine but faceted is just a bit classier in my opinion.

I''d add a caveat to this: Because of that reflectivity a faceted or polished girdle may cause color to be reflected back inside. Therefore unfaceted girdles are more common in J/K color grades and down, and in small goods .25 and lower. This can be a practical decision, that does not reflect (enjoy the pun) a lack of detail or class.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results