Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#DeletedTwitterInstead.....

If you don't want people to collect your "data' don't have computer accounts and an Iphone....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#DeletedTwitterInstead.....

If you don't want people to collect your "data' don't have computer accounts and an Iphone....

Ha I never even got around to Twitter. Too intimidating for this oldster.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, no social media is truly safe.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You would need an electron microscope and a great deal of imagination to document how a Facebook demise hurts our lives. Such social media sites are huge security risks, inhibit rather than enhance human interaction, and are in general colossal wastes of time. They are engineered to addict people to their stinking "devices" at the expense of genuinely being with people.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha I never even got around to Twitter. Too intimidating for this oldster.

I tried it and hated it, you should see tumblr, one of my friends is on that so I tried it and honestly I really just don't get the attraction of it.... yep I'm obviously too old to "get" it too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried it and hated it, you should see tumblr, one of my friends is on that so I tried it and honestly I really just don't get the attraction of it.... yep I'm obviously too old to "get" it too.

I’ve never even heard of Tumblr :wink2:
I’m on the computer too much as it is. Though I love Pricescope :kiss2: so I hope nothing happens here.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
As the mom of 3 teenagers and a 21 year old, from what I have seen, it is definitely definitely on it's last breath. I have also observed there seems to be a backlash against most forms of social media. A lot of teenagers are just getting tired of it and are craving face to face time. Unfortunately, my 21 year old is obsessed with social media and posts WAY too much personal stuff despite me warning him not to (after all, what do I know, I am just his mom!)

From what I have seen among my kids and their friends, there seem to be 3 groups: those who are obsessed and post everything online, including videos etc. And those who don't bother with it. there are also those who have it out of necessity because clubs, groups they are a part of use it, so they need to at least have social media to stay informed.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! This is interesting - I teach media studies at the college level. While most of my students use other forms of social media more (snapchat, IG, twitter, tumblr), Facebook is a HUGE enterprise, and is unlikely to go away in my opinion - it's structure and money making strategies are much like Google. Ultimately, Google is the largest tracker of people on the Internet, and I highly doubt they're going away either.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn’t read the link. Just title of thread. Not surprised. As a high school teacher, I poll my kids. Only about 15 percent of them still use fb. And when they admit to it, the other kids laugh. I’ve never had fb. I still recall the days my colleagues and fellow parents were shocked by kids’ willingness to post all their private moments on MySpace. Just a few years later, and most of these adults became addicted to fb. It seems only the adults are still hanging on to it. Lol.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C'est la vie.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought tumblr was no more.. Snapchat has problems. I'm sure facebook will be around but people should most definitely keep their account policed.

Use:

Facecrooks
https://www.facebook.com/Facecrooks/

Facebook Purity
https://www.fbpurity.com/

Purity is an add-on so I'm not sure if it works on explorer or whatever they call it now.

Both scripts lock your account down, no ads, no anything and nothing get's out. It's been years since I've seen any kind of advertisement and I know who unfriends me!!! not that I care..

Facecrook gives better safety tutorials and helps.
Facebook Purity is just that, you can control EVERYTHING on your page.

I’ve never even heard of Tumblr :wink2:
I’m on the computer too much as it is. Though I love Pricescope :kiss2: so I hope nothing happens here.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought tumblr was no more.. Snapchat has problems. I'm sure facebook will be around but people should most definitely keep their account policed.

Use:

Facecrooks
https://www.facebook.com/Facecrooks/

Facebook Purity
https://www.fbpurity.com/

Purity is an add-on so I'm not sure if it works on explorer or whatever they call it now.

Both scripts lock your account down, no ads, no anything and nothing get's out. It's been years since I've seen any kind of advertisement and I know who unfriends me!!! not that I care..

Facecrook gives better safety tutorials and helps.
Facebook Purity is just that, you can control EVERYTHING on your page.

Thanks for all the links Kate. I never heard of any of these. Will check it out. Honestly I prefer face to face chatting or phone chatting to all these social media sites. The only exception is PS and the rest I can do without.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This post makes me wonder how many of us have discovered people we know IRL on PS?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Have been told that Facebook is for “old people” and nobody uses it anymore.

That would be accurate judging by what has been coming through my feed. A few people promoting their personal brands with posts shared from Instagram, or pictures of what my aunts had for dinner.

It seems like older people who have recently jumped on the social media wagon are all about Facebook and posting way too many details (and sharing way too many annoying inspirational pictures etc). No I don’t want to take your quize to find out which Sex and the City girl I am. I’m not tagging anything or commenting with a gif or whatever it is you want me to do. Facebook has become too annoying.

We were joking the other day about how my parents are sharing those goofy chain emails like people used to do when internet was first a thing. Facebook will struggle on with the 60+ crowd, but it won’t be what it once was.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not surprised at all really, been a huge backlash lately and so many privacy/data breeches. :angryfire: I have a FB account but not logged on or used it for about a year. This prompted me to download all my pics and I actually deleted my account permanently today! :dance:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not surprised at all really, been a huge backlash lately and so many privacy/data breeches. :angryfire: I have a FB account but not logged on or used it for about a year. This prompted me to download all my pics and I actually deleted my account permanently today! :dance:
You mean it looks like you have deleted your account - I'm sure FB has it all backed up nicely... ;))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a 65 year old woman I sorta take exception to your characterizing us all as struggling oldsters. I use Facebook to be in contact with high school friends from a long time ago. I have used Facebook Purity and Facecrooks for at least 3 years now and get zero ads zero, I have not been able to take ANY quiz in 3 years because I read years ago that these quizzes are used for data mining, if oldsters read more then perhaps facebook wouldn't have been caught with their pants down. For me, Snapchat is more addictive.. but I'm not 14 anymore. <shrug>

What chain mails are you referring to? Political? Grandkids? of course I don't get chain mails because on FBP I shut any info like that off. Older adults were the first users of IRC rooms...

Older people aren't new to social media, maybe your parents and your friends parents but way back in the early day I was a myspace user and then Facebook.

As more crap was added to Facebook it stopped being what it once was 4 years ago at least.

I think hipsters think they are hip by using Reddit, to me it's old school, back in the 80s at IBM we used something similar to reddit..

That would be accurate judging by what has been coming through my feed. A few people promoting their personal brands with posts shared from Instagram, or pictures of what my aunts had for dinner.

It seems like older people who have recently jumped on the social media wagon are all about Facebook and posting way too many details (and sharing way too many annoying inspirational pictures etc). No I don’t want to take your quize to find out which Sex and the City girl I am. I’m not tagging anything or commenting with a gif or whatever it is you want me to do. Facebook has become too annoying.

We were joking the other day about how my parents are sharing those goofy chain emails like people used to do when internet was first a thing. Facebook will struggle on with the 60+ crowd, but it won’t be what it once was.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that humanity would be better served if these social media platforms disappeared. I have a FB page because my young friend made me one without my permission about 7 years ago. I go on it rarely and when I do, I just don't see the allure. All it did was provide a vehicle for two ex boyfriends to contact me. Not useful at all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that humanity would be better served if these social media platforms disappeared.

You bring up an important point. I have long thought that younger people don't communicate face to face the same way and as often as we did (and still do) when we were young but I am not saying one way is better than the other. I am not saying it is better or worse. Just different.

Being an "oldster" I appreciate one on one connection IRL or at least a phone convo vs all the texting and social media chatting that goes on with the younger generations. But as with everything YMMV and there is no one right way.

I think one can and still does have meaningful connections online Some relationships online are shallow, some are not. Just like real life. Authentic communication that involves active listening, sharing, empathy and support. That can happen online and off. Maybe the key here is that there are many different ways to have real communication and anything that increases those odds are good. JMO.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Apologies! There are very tech savvy people in every age group and I’m far from up on every technology.

The chain emails are exactly that. Those funny pictures or jokes sent a million times over like people used to do before social media. Inevitably someone sends a virus and then everyone is freaking out because they clicked a random link like it’s 1997. We’re talking the “listen very closely to this video. Turn your speakers to max and then there’s a loud noise at the be of the video haha” type of thing. Or like the whole “puppies or fried chicken” but they think it’s this brand new thing. It is to them so it’s nice that they’re entertained by it. It’s not an issue for me, it’s just an observation.

Maybe it’s more to do with where they live? Most of my parents friends ar retired teachers and engineers so jobs where they were required to use computers. I do remember a lot of my mom’s teacher friends freaking out when they were forced to switch to types report cards. It was this insanely painful thing where so and so hit save, but not to the correct drive so she brought empty disks to school and so and so exited without saving so everything was deleted etc. One teacher brought their tower to school and asked the receptionist to get the files. These people are probably not the best example of normal computer use.

That said, I really do notice the average age of those posting on my Facebook feed has gone up in th the last year. I don’t have a lot of contacts, probably around 250, but most are under 35. Of those, maybe 5 post regularly. 90% of my feed is filled with friends parents and aunts and uncles etc. Just an observation.

As a 65 year old woman I sorta take exception to your characterizing us all as struggling oldsters. I use Facebook to be in contact with high school friends from a long time ago. I have used Facebook Purity and Facecrooks for at least 3 years now and get zero ads zero, I have not been able to take ANY quiz in 3 years because I read years ago that these quizzes are used for data mining, if oldsters read more then perhaps facebook wouldn't have been caught with their pants down. For me, Snapchat is more addictive.. but I'm not 14 anymore. <shrug>

What chain mails are you referring to? Political? Grandkids? of course I don't get chain mails because on FBP I shut any info like that off. Older adults were the first users of IRC rooms...

Older people aren't new to social media, maybe your parents and your friends parents but way back in the early day I was a myspace user and then Facebook.

As more crap was added to Facebook it stopped being what it once was 4 years ago at least.

I think hipsters think they are hip by using Reddit, to me it's old school, back in the 80s at IBM we used something similar to reddit..

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like facebook and I use it. I did review my security defaults, but there is a whole load of people I would not be able to keep in touch with, if I deactivated facebook. I'm on certain groups including social groups; it's an easy way to keep in touch and schedule things. I find twitter or instagram annoying; way too short term attention span for me. Don't care that kids don't use Facebook (just care that my friends do). Not sure I know what will replace Facebook if it goes under.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a member of FB...:praise: I have no friends...;(

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. Well that's a...sweeping generalization.

I'm in my 50's, have been on FB for over a decade (yanno - back in the days when I was hip and cool) - and I and 'my set' use it for dog rescue info. If you know a better way to start complicated chains about dog transports, including maps, links, and alerts to certain other people - by all means - do share.

People who are older have been on social media longer. Period. Maybe we've found that inspirational quotes are one of the less harmful interweb (yes - I said that just for you!) exchanges. (eg millenials - I give you...sexting!)

Gotta go - gotta go find out whether I'm Carrie or Samantha, then change my incontinence pad.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't take offense to what you've said about old people using Facebook chemgirl because I've heard things along similar lines. (I'm almost 50 so I am putting myself in the old/older people category especially when we're talking about social media.)

I've never been too much of a social media person but that's because I am super private. And when I've used Facebook it has been mostly out of necessity (e.g., a group I belong to uses mainly FB to keep us updated. Which honestly I think it's fine for non essential things but for deadlines or time sensitive things it's horrible and I don't think you should expect that everyone will have an FB account.)

It has been a great tool for me to get the word out about a kitty I'm fostering. And I do notice that 62% of the fans on the page are between 45 and 65+ (of that, 23% are between 55-64, the biggest group overall.) But i thought that was mostly because it was a cat...but maybe it's just indicative of who's using FB now.

I think in general it's good for everyone to try to stay up with the times. I know some older people who refuse to text and refuse to email and it's been a hindrance when I've needed to send a file or information to them, even though of course we can all make our own choices. I just hope I'll want to stay up with the times with whatever technology is available when I'm much older.

On the other hand I did get a glimpse of what it must feel like to have to adjust to something or move away from something you're comfortable with. I read this morning that young people are also moving away from email and I can't wrap my mind around that. I can't imagine conducting business and sending files or writing polite letters via text-like applications especially with people or clients you don't already have a relationship with. But maybe that in itself is showing me somewhat removed. All I'm saying is that I *want* to know what other people are using and how and I hope I continue to try to adjust to stay in the know, even if it's not my technology of choice.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to agree with the generalization that it's older folks who are more active on FB nowadays. I still have an account, actually for the same reason as @mrs-b ; my dog rescue does everything through FB. They require that you have a FB account (doesnt have to be a real account though) to foster or volunteer because it is so much easier to have a private group where we can post rather than trying to group email 200 people.

I dislike snapchat for security reasons (but the filters are fun), and mainly use IG now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results