shape
carat
color
clarity

Face up size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen a number of posts talking about diamonds that "face up" smaller than their carat weight. These comments seem to be based on a combination of the depth and diameter of the stone. Maybe I''m not looking in the right place, but is there somewhere that suggests an appropriate diameter per carat? Or is this more based on depth or a combination of depth and girdle thickness?? What is the best way to figure this out? I don''t want a particularly big stone (def. 1.5 ct or less, probably closer to 1), but it would be nice to get something that looks at least the size that is being paid for, rather than smaller.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The average diameter for a properly cut one carat diamond is about 6.50 mm. A properly cut 1.50 carat will measure around 7.46 mm in diameter. If you keep the total depth of a round brilliant cut diamond in the range of 59 - 61.8% then the outside diameter of the diamond will generally be within the range that it should be. I''ve seen a few deeper diamonds that certainly performed well, it really all depends on the combination of crown and pavilion angle and there are plenty of threads here on PS to be found on that topic so I won''t go into it here... But keep in mind that diamonds are sold by carat weight and there are price tiers dictated by carat weight that split at the whole carat marks like between 0.89 - 0.99 carats; 0.99 - 1.00 carats and 1.49 - 1.50 carats so if you buy a one carat diamond that is cut deep so that it has an outside diameter equivalent to a properly cut 0.95 carat diamond then all you''ve managed to do is pay a one carat price for a diamond that faces up like a 0.95 carat diamond, in which case you could have saved yourself some $$$ and simply bought a properly cut 0.95 carat diamond that would likely face up better and provide better light return. Happy Hunting!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go.
1.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mm-to-carat-stone-conversion-chart.17578/

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks much -- thats exactly what I was trying to find!

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Is there something like this chart with more info for princess cuts? The princess info on this chart seems to drop off at 0.4 carats...

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
FacetFire -- have you ever bought a setting from that site you referenced for the size chart (engagement-ring-mountings.com)? I saw something there that I liked, but I was a little worried about how the sample looked as far as quality goes. Any experience with them?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you do a search, they have been discussed several times on the boards. I have not bought from them, nor would I. If you look at their pics, the quality appears to be seriously lacking...hence the low prices. I only use them for their chart! Haha.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, FacetFire! That''s exactly it
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 10:33:37 AM
Author: enbcfsobe
Thanks much -- thats exactly what I was trying to find!
You''re welcome!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2007 12:54:04 PM
Author: Bunnifer
Thanks, FacetFire! That''s exactly it
36.gif
No problem! Glad I could help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results