shape
carat
color
clarity

F or G

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
In general... is there a big difference between an F and a G color?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
In stones 1 carat or less I can''t tell the difference. In larger stones 2 carats or larger you *might* be able to tell. Either way, they both are super white from the top and the side. H is my personal sweet spot...

Diamond Confused

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 6:46:16 PM
Author: kcoursolle
In stones 1 carat or less I can''t tell the difference. In larger stones 2 carats or larger you *might* be able to tell. Either way, they both are super white from the top and the side. H is my personal sweet spot...
So you thik color is more a matter of preference than it being about one being better than the other.

I''m going to go look at stone colors this weekend. I know what ring I want I just am completely lost on color.

Is one color shinier than the other?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 6:51:18 PM
Author: Diamond Confused

Date: 1/17/2008 6:46:16 PM
Author: kcoursolle
So you thik color is more a matter of preference than it being about one being better than the other.

I''m going to go look at stone colors this weekend. I know what ring I want I just am completely lost on color.

Is one color shinier than the other?
It''s my sweet spot because it is a great balance between the diamond looking super white and the stone being affordable.

Color is really a weird thing and definitely often boils down to preference. Many here (Lynnb, Mara) come to mind have some *killer* J stones and love them. Even in low colors like J, the stone from the top is still WHITE (if well-cut), but you can see some warmth from the side. Not really yellow...but creamy. Others are a bit more sensitive and prefer not to see any warmth in a stone and prefer an E or an F stone.

When you go to see some stones be sure you are comparing apples to apples. In lower colors the stone will only face up white if the stone is well-cut. If it''s not well-cut you can often see more color. Be sure to ask about the cut info. A general guideline before you learn more about cut is that depths should be 60-62, tables 54-57, and crown and pavillion angles should be consistent with an HCA score of under 2. Polilsh and symmetry are minor, but I prefer at least VG/VG.

If you are look at fancy cut stones instead of rounds, these tend to show more color and you may not want to go down as low.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to repeat what kcoursolle said... "In lower colors the stone will only face up white if the stone is well-cut."

Understand that the color of a stone may look VASTLY different depending on the cut and the lab grading the stone (also, rounds tend to hide color better).

How you feel about the color is totally personal preference... I did not want any warmth whatsoever from any angle for my ering, so I love my F color stone. Many wouldn't be able to tell the difference between F and G, some would. For other pieces, I would not mind dropping down significantly in color.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There isn't much difference between an F and G. I have both and cannot tell which is which, BUT, I can tell that my G is warmer than an E color stone I have, but they are all equally beautiful and the G faces up white and it the better deal for the dollar.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 6:44:58 PM
Author:Diamond Confused
In general... is there a big difference between an F and a G color?
There is to me. This being said, color sensitivity varies greatly amongst individuals. It''s all about personal preference.

For a ring, due to the increased visibility of the pavillion, I tend to stick with the D-F range, however, for diamond studs, for example, where the diamond''s pavillion is more concealed, I would be more willing to go G - I, possibly, just because I know that well cut stones do face up quite white.

Have you had the opportunity to look at diamonds and compare color & clarity etc? This was quite helpful for me when I was trying to discern what I preferred.

Will a G stone look "yellow" or undesirable in any way ... absolutely not! For this reason, a G color diamond can be a fantastic deal as you are no longer paying the premium associated with the D - F range.

If you are going to check out some diamonds, try looking at F color stones and G color stones separately and see what you think and then try comparing them together and see what you think. If you compare them side by side first thing, you are more likely to see the color difference and thus gravitate towards an F without really assessing the G color stone on its own merits.

I hope that helps!
35.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I echo the other ladies. First, there is a charm to warm coloured (i.e., yellower) stones, especially antique ones once they got down to J, K, L etc., but not everyone appreciates that. THAT is definitely a matter of taste. Secondly, some people are more colour sensitive than others. I can tell the difference between an F & a G, and prefer to stick to D''s and E''s. My fiance can tell the difference between a D and a G, but not much discernment in between.

If you (or your lady?) aren''t too colour sensitive... and you will be able to tell whether you are or not as soon as you have a look at a few well cut stones beside each other- go with an excellent cut G stone and you''ll be, uh, Golden.
26.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you put an ideal cut F RB next to and ideal cut G RB, I''d be hard pressed to know which is which.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2008 11:16:40 PM
Author: Kaleigh
If you put an ideal cut F RB next to and ideal cut G RB, I'd be hard pressed to know which is which.
Ditto that. Most people cannot tell the difference between one colour grade between such high colour grades. The best thing for anyone unsure of their colour preferences, is to go out and look in person. You need to compare similar shape, size, cut quality, lab graded diamond to others similar in this way, which are higher or lower up the scale for colour. This way you can get a true picture of where your colour preference lies.

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the posts above. I myself thought the whole time that D-G all look the same and was planning to get a G for sure as the best value for money. Until I went to a reputable jeweller and saw under 1ct princesses in E and G (both reasonably well cut). Eventhough my DH and my sister couldn''t tell the difference, it seemed surprisingly obvious to me. So, it really depends on your colour sensitivity and the best way to find out is to look around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results