shape
carat
color
clarity

F color EC in rose gold??

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I need some help! I was lucky to get an F color, 3ct EC and I've finally decided on a simple solitaire setting, but I can't decide on what metal to use. I LOVE rose (and yellow) gold solitaires, and if this was any other shape I would do rose gold in a heartbeat. But for some reason I feel like it might not look right with an F color emerald cut? I definitely do not want the setting to make the stone look warm or tinted at all. I've attached a picture of the stone for reference. For this stone I don't think I want to go the two-tone route, so it will either be all rose gold or all white gold or platinum (can't decide between white gold or platinum either).

Anyway, I would really appreciate any thoughts, especially from anyone who has experience with colorless step cuts set in rose (or yellow) gold!

Attachments

• EM3.02 F-VS2.jpg
    EM3.02 F-VS2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 55

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is so beautiful (yes, I'm following you around until you get it set so I can ooooh and ahhhh!). I don't have any experience with rose gold settings, but I'll say that I've never felt like any colorless/near colorless diamond was out of place in a rose gold setting. To me, it seems to matter more if the rose gold looks good on your skin tone. I cannot wait to see what you come up with!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it would look best in a white metal (but that's my gut feeling only-no fact backing that up). My preference is platinum if you are OK with the color/patina etc of platinum. Personally I find WG changes color on me and needs replating fast. If you go with unplated white gold you could bypass that issue but the white color is different with unplated and the question remains with any of these metals as @LinSF wrote...what color looks best on your skin?

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think i'm with you on this @SandyK i just love RG and YG. But for a colorless EC, i would go with Platinum. Not because of worries of throwing some tint on the stone but just because it's SO CLASSIC and elegant and timeless.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I love rose gold (my flute is made of it) I think that your F-color emerald cut would look better in a white metal. Platinum, white gold, Stuller 14X1 (white gold with a higher nickel content that doesn't need plating), or a palladium blend.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Personally I think it would be amazing and make the stone look super white.

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I say if you love rose gold go for it! If you are not doing an elaborate setting, like you said, then it won’t be terribly expensive to change it up someday. Go with what you love, an F will look FAB in rose gold or any metal!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
That stone is so beautiful (yes, I'm following you around until you get it set so I can ooooh and ahhhh!). I don't have any experience with rose gold settings, but I'll say that I've never felt like any colorless/near colorless diamond was out of place in a rose gold setting. To me, it seems to matter more if the rose gold looks good on your skin tone. I cannot wait to see what you come up with!
Haha - thank you!! I already know that you have stunning taste in step cuts, so I am happy to have your approval! And fingers crossed that your lovely ring sells soon -- I was really tempted to do a three stone setting like yours, but I've kind of run out of steam and would end up obsessing about the side stones and angles and etc. etc. and I also think I'm just a plain solitaire person at heart haha.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look best in a white metal (but that's my gut feeling only-no fact backing that up). My preference is platinum if you are OK with the color/patina etc of platinum. Personally I find WG changes color on me and needs replating fast. If you go with unplated white gold you could bypass that issue but the white color is different with unplated and the question remains with any of these metals as @LinSF wrote...what color looks best on your skin?
Thanks very much for the input! I think my gut feeling is the same as yours, although I do really love rose gold and I also wanted the setting to be a little different, since it is a fairly simple solitaire. But, I've been thinking about it some more and maybe I can just pair it with a rose gold wedding band!

On the platinum v. white gold question I don't like the patina that platinum gets, but my skin is really acidic, and I remember that my first e-ring turned yellow after a matter of months :( And I know that platinum is stronger, so it is probably the better choice. But in terms of color I prefer a bright, softer white rather than a grayish white, so this is tough too!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the two-tone suggestion! @Morenita21 @lovedogs @Matthews1127 @TheBlingleys

I know that it makes sense conceptually, but for some reason I'm having trouble envisioning it with this stone. Although, my dream Rolex is this two tone one below, so that would match pretty perfectly! Although I haven't seen any rose gold in person that is quite as pink as the Rolex everose, it seems like most is a little bit more coppery in tone. . . .

Rolex.JPG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SandyK Can you snap a pic of it on/next to a penny, then a nickel or dime, the resting in between both?

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
https://www.laurenbjewelry.com/lepozzi-1-10-ct-emerald-cut-rose-gold-engagement-ring.html
I'm in love with rose gold, but then my AVR is a J color. When I had my G oval set in yellow gold by DK, he suggested the white head. I think all rose would be beautiful but it will probably cast some color on your stone
Ohh thanks so much for the videos!! Those are very helpful - it is really tough to find ECs in anything other than a white metal, and to me it does seem a little bit like the setting impacts the color of the stone. It kind of seems like step cuts are more prone to being impacted than other cuts.

And re your AVR - one of these days I am determined to get my sister an AVR in the J/K color range and have it set in luscious yellow gold. I think stones in that color range + colored gold are absolute perfection. And I just looked up your oval -- stunning! I think I recall seeing it on AV's instagram page -- when I saw the videos I remembered thinking it was like liquid fire :D

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I think i'm with you on this @SandyK i just love RG and YG. But for a colorless EC, i would go with Platinum. Not because of worries of throwing some tint on the stone but just because it's SO CLASSIC and elegant and timeless.
Yes v good point - thanks!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
As much as I love rose gold (my flute is made of it) I think that your F-color emerald cut would look better in a white metal. Platinum, white gold, Stuller 14X1 (white gold with a higher nickel content that doesn't need plating), or a palladium blend.
Yes I think I agree -- and thank you for all the information re the white metals; that Stuller option in particular sounds very interesting. I will have to research those a little bit more!

Reactions: AV_

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think it would be amazing and make the stone look super white.

Thanks! And thanks for the video (I actually went to visit Lauren B in NYC way back when I was shopping for my first upgrade haha) -- seeing the square emerald shape is definitely make me want those for a future studs project...

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I say if you love rose gold go for it! If you are not doing an elaborate setting, like you said, then it won’t be terribly expensive to change it up someday. Go with what you love, an F will look FAB in rose gold or any metal!
Yeah I would definitely agree if I had a relatively inexpensive stock setting in mind, but I'm going to have Maytal Hannah do the setting so it is a little more expensive haha, and my husband will definitely not be on board for any resets. . . he is very much ready for me to be done with the ering ;-)

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
@SandyK Can you snap a pic of it on/next to a penny, then a nickel or dime, the resting in between both?
Oh. I just did this, and i can definitely see the color of the penny through the corners of the EC, if that makes sense. Not the belly, but the parts that point inwards from the corners, so I definitely don't think colored gold is going to work. That was a great suggestion - thank you!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always prefer a platinum head with a white/colorless/near colorless diamond. That is so the metal doesn't reflect in the stone and detract from the color of the diamond. I think the shank can be rose gold or platinum. I really don't even consider it two-tone, because a white metal head is intended to be invisible almost to show off the diamond. My original diamond was F color, white gold head, yellow gold shank. I can't imagine that it would have looked as good with a yellow gold head. On the other hand, I do have a halo ring now with a yellow gold bezel to enhance the yellow color of the diamond. That's the only time I'd use rose or yellow for the head or prongs.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I don't have any pics, but my friend has a G colour emerald cut, in a white gold basket with rose gold band. It is STUNNING! That definitely has my vote.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh thanks so much for the videos!! Those are very helpful - it is really tough to find ECs in anything other than a white metal, and to me it does seem a little bit like the setting impacts the color of the stone. It kind of seems like step cuts are more prone to being impacted than other cuts.

And re your AVR - one of these days I am determined to get my sister an AVR in the J/K color range and have it set in luscious yellow gold. I think stones in that color range + colored gold are absolute perfection. And I just looked up your oval -- stunning! I think I recall seeing it on AV's instagram page -- when I saw the videos I remembered thinking it was like liquid fire :D
Thanks for the kind words @SandyK! Have you ruled out getting a white metal basket with a colored metal shank? I have a blue zircon that I want DK to set like this:
BlueZircon2_a21164-zircon-diamond-ring-3.jpg
I know it's not a diamond, but it is a step cut. I love how it brings in the yellow gold while still having the white basket.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for platinum head and rose gold band. It will look fantastic. Gorgeous diamond.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much for the input! I think my gut feeling is the same as yours, although I do really love rose gold and I also wanted the setting to be a little different, since it is a fairly simple solitaire. But, I've been thinking about it some more and maybe I can just pair it with a rose gold wedding band!

On the platinum v. white gold question I don't like the patina that platinum gets, but my skin is really acidic, and I remember that my first e-ring turned yellow after a matter of months :( And I know that platinum is stronger, so it is probably the better choice. But in terms of color I prefer a bright, softer white rather than a grayish white, so this is tough too!

I think a rose gold band would be awesome and yes that's my problem too. My skin makes all white gold yellow so fast. I happen to enjoy the soft gray white of platinum but I also enjoy a brighter white too so I'm easy that way I guess.:P2 IMO Platinum is timeless and if you don't dislike the color you cannot go wrong. I think with different platinums you can get slightly different color so look into that to see which platinum might give you the brighter look you prefer. And I think pairing your ring with bands will satisfy your rose gold desire and think of the fun you will have mixing and matching. Cannot wait to see what you get.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Oops - here is the stone. I tried to find a rose gold stone holder online but no luck.

EM3.02 F-VS2.jpg
Wow. That’s beautiful!!!! I LOVE RG bUT bc it’s an F I would be afraid it would make it look a little tinted. My K looked SUPER white in YG and tinted in white. The J (w med Fl) I bought looked tintednin the YG and WHITE in the platinum. So that is why I would say to stick w WG/Plat. Can’t wait to see it. Are you considering any pave diamonds on the shank? Adam showed me one and I seriously considered that route. Solitaires w a beautiful diamond, such as yours, will shine for sure. XO

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results