shape
carat
color
clarity

Extreme Diamond Makeover!!! MY WF RECUT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Tomorrow morning I will be picking up my engagement ring! I sent her out about two months ago and have been missing her SOOOOOO badly. But the wait was WELL worth it!!! She went from a very steep and deep GIA "excellent" with an HCA score of 4.3, to a beautiful ACA with an HCA score of 0.9!!! And she only lost 9 points and about a tenth of a mm in diameter! And even more amazing, she went up a color grade from an I to an H! Whiteflash is amazing!

Here are the old specs: And here are the NEW ones!
1.44 I vs2 1.35 H vs2
table 56 table 55.4
depth 61.5 depth 60.6
CA 35.5 CA 34.5
PA 41.2 PA 40.7
HCA score 4.3 HCA score 0.9

And here are some pics! I didn''t get any before pics from WF, but she had a BIG ring of leakage in the middle. Despite her nice arrows, she needed a makeover!

jewel567.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
another

jewel678.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
:)

jewel789.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
ACA

jewelreport8.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
How exciting! I''ve been following your project, and the results are amazing!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Here she is all done! The band looks a little weird in the picture I think, but they didn''t do anything to it (except lower the diamond a little) and I liked it before so it must be fine. These magnified pics will mess with you! The band was shaped to match perfectly with the band I was given on our first anniversary, which will become my wedding band and they look really good together. Tomorrow after I pick her up, I''ll be doing a MAJOR photo shoot!

jewelfullview2.JPG

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Fly Girl! I think so too
36.gif
I SERIOUSLY could not have asked for better results!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning! It is gorgeous.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
eeeeek.gif
yayy.gif
wowzer.gif
OMG Kelli!!!! It looks so AMAZING!!! I''m so happy for you and can''t wait to see pics! Yay yay yay for you!
36.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I love the lower profile on the ring too - I think you''ll find it a LOT more wearable than before.
36.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I love all the crazy dances Dani!!! LOL that''s what I''ve been doing since I got the shipping confirmation!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Something like that?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!! Looks great, no it looks amazing. Can''t wait for you to get it tomorrow. Woohoo!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m really happy about that too. I can''t wait to see it on! Also, I''m excited because the new head is platinum and mine had turned yellowish in a really short time because of all the scrubbing! I''m an excessive diamond (but nothing else
3.gif
) cleaner!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I know why the band looks funky to you Kelli - they had to shorten the cathedral sides to allow for the lowering of your prongs. It''s fused with the head lower down than it was before. (I went back to the pics you posted in my solitaire seach for a comparison). I think it looks fabulous!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh! I L
30.gif
VE your ring! And that looks about right Dani!

nobody

Rough_Rock
I am confused
33.gif
, There is no special cut can make the color go up, at least, I dont think there is.

Did they send the diamond back to GIA to get regraded afterwards or some other lab? If not, they may have sent it to a lab that is more lenient/looser on their grading.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Huh... They said they didn''t change anything on the band, because there was still plenty of room to lower the diamond from where it was before. (The girdle was pretty high above the cathedral sides). But either way, I love it just fine!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 9:53:54 PM
Author: Kelli
Huh... They said they didn't change anything on the band, because there was still plenty of room to lower the diamond from where it was before. (The girdle was pretty high above the cathedral sides). But either way, I love it just fine!
I could be hallucinating. It's been known to happen.
2.gif
SO GORGEOUS!!!!

party2.gif
party2.gif
party2.gif

ETA: You're right - the tip of the cathedral sides are just hitting your head at a different spot because of the lower profile. Cool!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Steep/deep diamonds hold body color more than ideal cuts. That''s what I read anyway, because they purposely cut fancy colors like that. They sent it to the AGS for re-grading so it''s pretty accurate I would guess.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
My fiancee is sick and wants me to baby him a little
2.gif
I have to go for now but I can''t wait for tomorrow!!!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wow--great job!

cheers--Sharon

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I remember your story.That was probably one of the coolest things I ever heard.
WOW they did a good job with the setting also. Double Whammy! Congrats !!! Please come back with hand shots!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pics look wonderful - can''t wait to see your hand shots tomorrow!

How exciting to see this remake right before our eyes - you must be so excited!
36.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a neat thing to do. It looks very pretty. I am looking forward to your evaluation of the stone IRL. You can let us know if there is a big visual difference. Fun project!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is just gorgeous!!!
30.gif

Who was the original grading by? I have seen more than once where AGS graded color higher than GIA or an independent appraiser. That concerns me a little...not related to your stone whatsoever, but it makes me wonder if they are soft on color grading.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoa! That''s a beautiful recut. You are lucky to improve it so much and lose so little weight. Yes, it will be interesting to hear what you think of it in person.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
GIA did the original grading. WF asked me if I wanted to send it to them again, but I didn''t because I was pretty put off about how they could possibly have called such a diamond "excellent cut" anyway. They were more than happy to send it to the AGS instead. Anyway, I had actually read several times that steep/deep cut stones "hold in" a lot more body color than ideal cuts. I figured that just meant that they would face up whiter, but I don''t know. Is it possible that the color in a stone might not be evenly distributed?
33.gif
I wonder if some of the areas that were removed had more color than the middle? Also, apparently there are different kinds of AGS reports. I really know nothing about that, but Vera said something about going with whatever report gave it the best results, but they only sent it to the AGS. Maybe someone who knows could chime in. I''ll post the cert in a minute. In any event, I was happy enough with the I, so it doesn''t matter much to me. It also used to have faint fluorescence, which I SWEAR I could see in the sun and under certain lighting (pretty lilac-ish hue), but now it says "negligible". I''m okay with that too I guess. As long as I don''t see the "ring of death" anymore I''ll be thrilled, and I will most definitely let you guys know what kind of differences I do (or do not) see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results