shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Opinion Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sassmo

Rough_Rock
My son is in the process of purchasing an ER for his long time girlfriend. We have been searching for diamonds and a setting and he is interested in this particular diamond. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Round Brilliant
2.03 Carat
Color: F
Clarity: SI 1

Measurements: 8.04 x 8.00 x 5.10
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Flurorescence: None
Total Depth: 63.6%
Table Width: 56%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavillon Depth: 44%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

8 Heart & 8 Arrows
Towlkowsky Ideal Cut

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which lab grade the stone? I am guessing EGL?

The proportion is much too deep, will likely have leakage under the table and face up smaller than similar weight but better cut stone. typically, a well cut 2c stone should be around 8.15mm in diameter.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 8:08:51 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Which lab grade the stone? I am guessing EGL?

The proportion is much too deep, will likely have leakage under the table and face up smaller than similar weight but better cut stone. typically, a well cut 2c stone should be around 8.15mm in diameter.
yep,looks deep,plus it is from European EGL grading lab.

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
What is your son's budget and size requirements? I think it would be better to sacrifice a little size to get a super ideal cut.

sassmo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. My son said it is EGL and is eye clean and very "white". I have not seen this stone yet, but we have seen diamonds in this size, but in G & H color. He much prefers the F color, and said this was a very bright stone. I will have to see for myself. He has a budget of about $15,000.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 7:54:04 PM
Author:sassmo
My son is in the process of purchasing an ER for his long time girlfriend. We have been searching for diamonds and a setting and he is interested in this particular diamond. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Round Brilliant
2.03 Carat
Color: F
Clarity: SI 1

Measurements: 8.04 x 8.00 x 5.10
Polish: VG
Symmetry: VG
Flurorescence: None
Total Depth: 63.6%
Table Width: 56%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavillon Depth: 44%
Girdle Thickness: Medium, Faceted

8 Heart & 8 Arrows
Towlkowsky Ideal Cut
when you see that # on a round cut = bad news,so run fast!!
scram.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto DF.

Also, EGL is known to be loose in color and clarity grading and as such is discounted in trade. You will not get as good a deal as you think as the trade will price it according to the actual grade of the stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 8:29:15 PM
Author: sassmo
Thanks for the responses. My son said it is EGL and is eye clean and very ''white''. I have not seen this stone yet, but we have seen diamonds in this size, but in G & H color. He much prefers the F color, and said this was a very bright stone. I will have to see for myself. He has a budget of about $15,000.
you can tell your son that a $15,000 budget will not buy a well cut 2ct F SI1 AGS or GIA stone.

sassmo

Rough_Rock
Again, thanks for all your expertise. He is hoping to negotiate the price on this stone, but it sounds like he shouldn''t even consider it. Is it considered a poor quality diamond because of the cut, in particular the total depth %? No decision will be made until I get a look at the diamond but if he wants to pursue this diamond, any thoughts on a reasonable price for him to pay?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
really depends on how off the color grade is compared to what it can be if it is graded by AGS/GIA.

But not really worth it as there is a sharp price/carat jump at the 2.0c mark and this stone is clearly cut for that jump to bring in the extra profit.

From this article.
http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-carat-weight/

This image is a comparison between a well cut 0.84c and a badly cut 1.00c stone, both are the same diameter, which one looks bigger?
cut_comparison2.jpg

Also look at the proportion of stone cut for a particular weight.

For the same dimension of the above stone, you can be looking at a well cut 1.9c stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results