shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Opinion on Sapphire Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I found a sapphire online I am interested in and was wondering if any of the experts could weigh in on it.

The stone measures 7.25 x 5.65 x 4.1, has color zoning and is a light greyish blue color. It is listed as very slightly included. Very good brilliancy, luster and polish.

How much do you think is a good price for it and what are your thoughts on the color?

I am thinking of it as a replacement for my ring.

Thank you for your help!!
1.gif

sapphireilike.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I don''t love the color (too gray) and the cut is pretty off center. I wouldn''t pay more than like $200 for it personally, and that is if I would buy it at all.

Also color zoning is not a good thing.

Sorry.
7.gif

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Thank you for replying, I wanted somone else''s opinion on it. I actually like the color because it is different but think I will keep looking.
1.gif

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I actually really like the color, but I think the off=center appearance would bug me.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi
35.gif

I don''t really notice it being off center that much, actually. It seems like a good deal of colored gemstones have issues like that, even some diamonds. I like the color more and more as I look at it. The price is good so I am just trying to decide whether I should take the plunge on it. I emailed the seller and await their response.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah the cut is pretty off.Bad enough that it would bother me-and I''m not a stickler for cut. Also I''m betting that the color will either be lighter or darker IRL. I have had to learn that the hard way. If someone doesn''t know what they are doing with a camera or with the lighting, it looks WAY different online. Honest opinion-I wouldn''t give that sapphire a second glance, and I''ve been looking for one too. I suggest keep looking.

However I''m not an expert by any means, so I''m sure you''ll dismiss what I have said just as you have with vslover and neatfreak.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t get this one - I don''t like the color and I think it is probably a shallow stone - it looks like the only parts getting light reflected back are around the edges.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, FrekeChild,

Thank you for your response. I am looking for a replacement stone to one that was damaged during a repair. My post about it is here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/firecoat-on-blue-sapphire.83403/.

I can''t decide if I want this particular stone or not. Part of me thinks it is worth getting and seeing it in person and part of me thinks I should keep looking.

I was perfectly happy with the stone in my ring until it was damaged while the mounting was being repaired and it had to be sent off to be repolished and then recut. Now, because of being recut the table is huge and all the facets are oddly shaped. The table is so large that light is entering the stone and leaking out the back making the stone look extremely dark with no brilliance. It is little better in sunlight. Before it was a very vibrant medium blue, now it almost looks black.

So, I am on the lookout for a replacement stone I like as well.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, MarcyC,

Thanks for your reply.

This particular stone is actually pretty deep, 4.1mm, but as was pointed out by FrekeChild withoust seeing it in person it is difficult for me to judge. The color is nice in the picture I think but one picture isn''t enough to go by.

There is a return policy on it which is the only reason I would even consider buying it, were I to decide to.

The stone in my ring now is very deep for the size, which I like, I don''t want a shallow stone. The right one will come along
1.gif

jadeforest

Rough_Rock
Hi there. Well first I would say listen if a stone calls to you. Everyone can have an opinion but yours is the most important. If the stone is a REALLY good price then I might chance getting it online. But from experience stones can look vastly different in person. I am not a gem expert, though I have worked with gems for years, I am a metalsmith who works with gems. If this ring is really important to you you might want to find a stone in person. As far as this stone? You may find that it is grayer in person, the bluer the stone the more brilliant. But you need to be careful that the pic is not too dark, as sometimes without light shining directly on it, it is way too dark. I would look into a madagascar blue sapphires. They are, in my opinion the most beautiful and brilliant, then ceylon and and the songea, I would not consider (myself at least) purchasing from any other sources. Thai sapphires never have the brilliance as these sapphires do. But again, each is an individual and your best bet might be to find a stone in person. I personally would NOT pay $200.00 for the stone shown, simply because I am uncertain of the quality just looking at the picture. Good Luck to you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a small window and a lot of extinction (black areas) which means the stone is terribly cut. I doubt you will see much sparkle or colour in person. It also appears more grayish than the description but I''ll give the seller the benefit of the doubt because coloured gemstones are notoriously difficult to photograph. Still, I would not buy it for any price.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, Jade Forest & Chrono,

Thank you so much for your advice. I have been looking online for about two weeks now and have only found a handful of stones that I really like. I want people to be able to look at my ring and know it is a sapphire.

I found a website the other day that sells Madagascar sapphires and they are beautiful. I love the color and they do seem more brilliant too.

How do I go about finding a sapphire? I need one of a specific size and price is also a factor. It must be at least 7 X 5 X 3.5. I was told my ring could handle a 8 X 6 so that is also a possibility.

Are most jewelers able to get them in? One nice thing about buying online is most of the sites I''ve found have them for wholesale.

The site I am looking at now with the Madagascar sapphires also has a return policy and they include a certificate with each stone.

I am going to contact a few local jewelers and see what their prices are.

I really appreciate all the replies a lot!
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
e-mail Jeff White. Good prices, AMAZING stones and INCREDIBLE cutting technique.

[email protected]

ETA: here is his website. Have a look at the goodies.

ttp://whitesgems.com/

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, again,

I just found a gorgeous, Madagascar blue sapphire. It weighs 1.09 and measures 7.00 x 5.00 x 3.30 mm. What should I be looking for depth wise for a 7 X 5 stone? Is 3.30mm deep enough?

I don''t want a really shallow stone. The stone in my ring now was 7 X 5 X 3.77 prior to being cut.

The stone is really a beautiful blue, darker but you can tell it is blue. It appears to have a beautiful cut but also has some extinction and maybe a little windowing. I don''t mind that so much as long as the stone looks blue and not black.

Thank you!!

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock

Here is a pic of the stone I mention above. I love the color! The stone I have now is about the same color and I like it.

What do you think? It is 7.00 X 5.00 X 3.30mm. 1.09 carat. Nearly loupe clean.

What about price?

Thank you all very much
35.gif

sapphireonlineireallylike.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
IndyGemLover, I just caught up with your story about your sapphire that was damaged. I''m so sorry, that''s terrible. What is your price range for the replacement stone? Have you checked out Natural Sapphire Company, Simply Sapphires, or other online sites? Going to a local jeweler is a good idea, too, but expanding your search online can''t hurt either.

As for your ring being able to take a 6x8 stone, I''m not sure I can see how that is possible without seriously shaving down that inner bezel, so I would hesitate to get something that large.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Here a couple from Simply Sapphires that fit your size range:
1.11ct unheated
0.9ct unheated

There are a few more on that site. Here's a link to their search option: search.

I have a feeling the one you posted above will look very dark in person, and its cut is a little dull...IMO, of course. I'm not an expert!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indy,

I am so sorry, but that new stone doesn''t look any better. Looks like it will have a lot of extinction and not a lot of sparkle.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
While that color isn''t my cup of tea, I think it depends on what you''re going to do with that stone. A stone that blue/gray color would look fantastic in a necklace if you were thinking of pairing it up with labradorite and moonstones and tiny point diamonds, for example...

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Here is a pic of my sapphire ring prior to the sapphire being damaged, repolished and recut. Notice the color is a bit on the dark side but I like it and it looks so vibrant in daylight, darker in indoor lighting.

mysapphirediamondring.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2008 4:57:06 PM
Author: IndyGemLover

Here is a pic of the stone I mention above. I love the color! The stone I have now is about the same color and I like it.

What do you think? It is 7.00 X 5.00 X 3.30mm. 1.09 carat. Nearly loupe clean.

What about price?

Thank you all very much
35.gif

Terrible stone. If you bezel it, it will appear darker and with that already dark sapphire, it will most likely appear almost inky black.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thank you all for all the advice. I am going to keep looking. I want a sapphire that faces up blue, it can be darker blue, but I want people to know it is sapphire and not onyx. The stone in my ring now is dark/navy blue but (before being recut) was very vibrant in daylight and still looked blue indoors. I am not a big fan of the really light sapphires because some of them almost look like topaz they are so light. I will keep looking and the right one will come along
1.gif

If I find any more I like I will post them here.

Thanks again for all your help!!

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, Chrono,

What do you think of this color for my ring?

7 X 5

1.12ct

Mixed Cut

Madagascar

bluesapphireonline.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2008 5:10:04 PM
Hi, Chrono,

What do you think of this color for my ring?

7 X 5

1.12ct

Mixed Cut

Madagascar

Hmmmm, now I know you didn''t ask me for my opinion, but here it is anyways: BIG WINDOW in that puppy.

Keep looking! You''ll find the ''one''!

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others. The is a very large window in the center, and the sides show a lot of extinction - blackish around the rim of the sapphire.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, thank you for all the responses, it has been a tremendous help.

FrekeChild: Thank you for linking me to those stones, very pretty. I don''t have a budget, per se, at this point. I am just trying to look at what is available and figure out what I like best colorwise.

LostSapphire, is that ring pictured yours? It is gorgeous, what a beautiful sapphire!

Chrono: Thanks for the advice. Which is worse in your opinion, a big window or a lot of extinction? I''m thinking a window is better only because the stone will face up lighter?

I would like to find a sapphire that will face up lighter than the one currently in my ring but one that is still very blue. I also don''t want to spend a fortune on one but I am pretty picky. I have found a few others online I really like and will post them if they are still available.

Again, I truly appreciate all the help and advice!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 6:13:34 PM
Hi, thank you for all the responses, it has been a tremendous help.

LostSapphire, is that ring pictured yours? It is gorgeous, what a beautiful sapphire!

I would like to find a sapphire that will face up lighter than the one currently in my ring but one that is still very blue. I also don''t want to spend a fortune on one but I am pretty picky. I have found a few others online I really like and will post them if they are still available.

Again, I truly appreciate all the help and advice!

Hello Indy!

That ring is what is coming my way: Jeff White is cutting an oval for me, and that setting is similar to one I am having made up. (my original sapphire which was very dark - almost blue-black, was lost a few years ago). So I am thrilled to have found someone to cut a new 2.5 or so carat sapphire for me: Jeff White.

Another poster on this board photoshopped one of Jeff''s sapphires into my dream setting. That''s where the avatar came from.

But seriously: go to Whitesgems.com and have a look at some of Jeff''s work. It is amazing, and very affordable. Some of those that you have posted are rather dark (for me anyways) and the cut/windowing is not always ideal. Yet the prices are no better for those than for other sapphires that are out there and GORGEOUS!

Keep looking: you will find the perfect one! I searched for months and am now very, very secure in my decision to have a stone cut for me. (and no, it is NOT more expensive than The Natural Sapphire Co. or any of those others that you looked at).

Good luck

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hi, LostSapphire,

That is great, you''ll have to post a pic once it is completed. Although diamonds are my favorite, there is something so special about sapphires and I love them. Good luck with your ring and thank you for the info. I will take a look.

IndyGemLover

Rough_Rock
Hello, again, everyone!

I found two more stones I like and am posting for opinions.

I like the color of both and the size and cost are good.

7x5sapphire1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results