carat
color
clarity

Experiences with lab melee?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi peeps!

Has anyone purchased lab diamond melee (I'm specifically after 2.2mm) online? There are a number of vendors on Etsy and eBay, but I'm wary of the cut, although this may or may not be a big issue in such a small size. I've looked at Ouros but they only sell larger sizes, and places like Takara sell 1ct parcels, so I would assume there would be 25 or so, I only need 20, and again, I'm unsure as to the cut. If anyone has any experience they would care to share, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest you try diamondsbylauren. Daivd would check a parcel perhaps for you and select better cut melee.

I hadn't thought of DBL, thank you for the suggestion! It seems that the few sellers of lab melee here in Aus only sell to retailers.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps whoever you use to make the piece can source your lab melee? David klass sourced mine for my yellow sapphire ring and my local B+M sourced them for my aqua pendant.

C8701C86-EE75-4D5F-91B2-E8A27EDFBE71.jpeg

E6909174-570C-457F-A619-177060AC0803.jpeg

B5A83FF1-A36E-4CA9-96C3-6BE0B5851E78.jpeg

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Hi - I have purchased melee from Ouros on Etsy and they look pretty good. They are yet to be set. If you message Vijay he will be able to get you pretty much any size you are after. But DBL is also a very good shout.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, I’m very flattered!!
As a general rule, when someone asks for melee my first question is .......why?
Not that I’m nosy but melee is very specialized. That is to say if a piece calls for 1.2mm ( for example) the stones need to be exactly measured.
The person who needs to ascertain the exact size is generally the setter or jeweler.
So my next question is, can’t the jeweler supply melee?
Of course now with Lab Grown, maybe it’s possible a jeweler can’t source them....
Anyway, long story short- I’d hate to sell stones to someone who couldn’t use them.
Make sure you’re ordering the correct size and the setter/ jeweler is ok with it.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I’m very flattered!!

All much deserved praise!

I'm hoping to have some pieces made locally, and here in Australia the only vendors of lab melee I have found only sell to businesses. My local jeweller said he can only source mined diamonds, which of course are exorbitantly priced here. I guess I could arrange for them to be shipped to him, but again, even for lab melee, it negates the cost difference as diamonds are so $$ in Aus. I respect that it can put jewellers in a pickle, so I did check with him, and he is comfortable with me sourcing melee for him, to his specifications.

I was hoping to spread the cost out and collect the components and then have them set, but if that is not a sensible route I will likely keep saving and stick with mined diamonds. An overseas jeweller has quoted on the setting with moissanites, I was hoping to try lab diamonds for this project, but that may be the most straightforward option for me. Thank you for your wisdom and advice @Rockdiamond!

Last edited:

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
You can buy them from Starsgem. I have previously and the price was very good.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi @Dandi
That does sound like a situation where you're on solid ground ordering your own melee!!
Just make sure to get specific and accurate sizes needed....
Just curious- ( and we know what that did to the cat:) but how much are they charging t for earth mined stones?
How many will you be using?
I ask to help to inform the relative differences in cost- remembering you'll need to account for shipping and customs/duties

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Rockdiamond,

Setting and mined melee together here will cost me $2600 AUD, so around $2000 USD :knockout::knockout: Anything I import from the US avoids extra fees if it's under $1000 AUD, so I'm keeping that in mind also.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To understand the price differential- we'd at least need to know
1) How much will they charge you if you're supplying the ( lab grown) melee?
2) what's the estimated total diamond weight of the piece?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have to ask for a precise breakdown, but the settings alone were roughly $800 based on a brief conversation. They'd be .80ctw.

Apologies as this all sounds quite vague! I was initially put off by the cost, so didn't delve into the specifics too much, as I hate wasting his (or anyone elses!) time.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SO to calculate:
$1200 for .80ct total weight.....sound correct?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, in USD.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Extrapolated, you're paying $1500 per carat....figure lab melee at $400 per carat ( ballpark figure*-we don't offer Lab grown melee but that would be my estimate for places that might sell it)
So the net difference is almost $900 ( $1200-$320=$880 hypothetical savings) - plus shipping, and taxes/duties.
Likley other members will steer you towards places that offer lab grown melee ( or already have done so:).

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extrapolated, you're paying $1500 per carat....figure lab melee at $400 per carat ( ballpark figure*-we don't offer Lab grown melee but that would be my estimate for places that might sell it)
So the net difference is almost $900 ( $1200-$320=$880 hypothetical savings) - plus shipping, and taxes/duties.
Likley other members will steer you towards places that offer lab grown melee ( or already have done so:).

You have no idea how helpful this is! When I (well, you :bigsmile:) sit down and crunch the numbers, it's a lot clearer what my priorities are, and for lab stones, I don't need to fork out 3.5x the price for mined, when lab would suit me perfectly for this particular project, and also justifies my search. Thank you so so much @Rockdiamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results