shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience buying diamond earrings

kazper

Rough_Rock
Hey pricescopers!

I wanted to post my experience with a few online diamond/earring providers in the hopes that it would help someone else.

I still have not purchased earrings, but I have some time. My budget it fairly limited, about 1k.

Adiamor- Settings starting at $175. Customer service is fairly responsive. Their system is not designed to show diamond pairs. Either a GIA certificate is missing, the photo is stock, only pictures of one diamond, or some combination of those. Another thing that annoyed me, I actually made a purchase through them. A day later I was notified that the diamonds did not pass their inspection and my order would be cancelled. While I appreciate them not selling me diamonds that don't meet their standards, it would be better for customers if they only listed ones that pass their "standards". I was afraid any other purchase I made would also be cancelled, not a confident feeling.

With Clarity- Settings start at $200. Diamond selection is fairly limited and a lot of the listings look like they have broken pictures. There is no option to search by pairs, so you'd either need to contact their customer service or try to match on your own.

Yadav- By far the most expensive settings starting at $250. I contacted them asking if they could match or lower the price of their setting. They said no, which is their choice, but notified me of a deal where if I spend $5,000 I would save $100. Their diamonds seemed competitively priced, but the setting price mostly knocked them out of the competition.

Blue Nile- Lowest price settings- $160, diamonds seem to be slightly more expensive. I had a pair inspected. They put a courtesy hold on them for 48 hours so nobody else could buy them. That is a nice gesture, but means you have to call and place your order, so some of the convenience is lost. Ideally, their system would only allow you to purchase them, but that is asking too much I guess. I've had mixed experiences with their customer service. Some diamond pairs I saved in my wish list weren't showing up in searches. It took me 3 attempts with different customer service reps before someone could finally explain to me why. The first two thought I didn't know how to navigate the site, which wasn't the case. They offer free appraisals, which is an added bonus because others wanted to charge over $50 for an appraisal.

ID Jewelry- I contacted Yekuteil to see what he was offering. He showed me a pair of GIA certified diamonds that came in exactly at the top end of my budget. He was very kind and helpful throughout the process.

B2cjewelry- Good options, but not a lot of reviews. They only have a 1 year warranty, which makes me nervous. A few of the negative reviews mention stones/diamonds falling out of their jewelry and them refusing to take responsibility, which makes me nervous. Not sure if the risk is worth the reward.

James Allen and Brian Gavin- I was pretty much priced out of purchasing from either. If I went with them, the diamond weight would have been lower than my minimum.

Rare carat- A great resource in the event that you're considering a few options. They only list for a few of their "approved" websites, and the list isn't exactly exhaustive. They will review diamonds not included in their searches. Their gemologists can also recommend possible candidates for your search. This can be helpful in narrowing down your search in the inevitable event that you become overwhelmed.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thorough review. I would also caution you to check upgrade policies with each vendor. If you have any thought of upgrading in the future, this will make a huge difference in your purchase.

Good luck in your continued search!

Q

Queenie60

Hey pricescopers!

I wanted to post my experience with a few online diamond/earring providers in the hopes that it would help someone else.

I still have not purchased earrings, but I have some time. My budget it fairly limited, about 1k.

Adiamor- Settings starting at $175. Customer service is fairly responsive. Their system is not designed to show diamond pairs. Either a GIA certificate is missing, the photo is stock, only pictures of one diamond, or some combination of those. Another thing that annoyed me, I actually made a purchase through them. A day later I was notified that the diamonds did not pass their inspection and my order would be cancelled. While I appreciate them not selling me diamonds that don't meet their standards, it would be better for customers if they only listed ones that pass their "standards". I was afraid any other purchase I made would also be cancelled, not a confident feeling.

With Clarity- Settings start at $200. Diamond selection is fairly limited and a lot of the listings look like they have broken pictures. There is no option to search by pairs, so you'd either need to contact their customer service or try to match on your own.

Yadav- By far the most expensive settings starting at $250. I contacted them asking if they could match or lower the price of their setting. They said no, which is their choice, but notified me of a deal where if I spend $5,000 I would save $100. Their diamonds seemed competitively priced, but the setting price mostly knocked them out of the competition.

Blue Nile- Lowest price settings- $160, diamonds seem to be slightly more expensive. I had a pair inspected. They put a courtesy hold on them for 48 hours so nobody else could buy them. That is a nice gesture, but means you have to call and place your order, so some of the convenience is lost. Ideally, their system would only allow you to purchase them, but that is asking too much I guess. I've had mixed experiences with their customer service. Some diamond pairs I saved in my wish list weren't showing up in searches. It took me 3 attempts with different customer service reps before someone could finally explain to me why. The first two thought I didn't know how to navigate the site, which wasn't the case. They offer free appraisals, which is an added bonus because others wanted to charge over $50 for an appraisal.

ID Jewelry- I contacted Yekuteil to see what he was offering. He showed me a pair of GIA certified diamonds that came in exactly at the top end of my budget. He was very kind and helpful throughout the process.

B2cjewelry- Good options, but not a lot of reviews. They only have a 1 year warranty, which makes me nervous. A few of the negative reviews mention stones/diamonds falling out of their jewelry and them refusing to take responsibility, which makes me nervous. Not sure if the risk is worth the reward.

James Allen and Brian Gavin- I was pretty much priced out of purchasing from either. If I went with them, the diamond weight would have been lower than my minimum.

Rare carat- A great resource in the event that you're considering a few options. They only list for a few of their "approved" websites, and the list isn't exactly exhaustive. They will review diamonds not included in their searches. Their gemologists can also recommend possible candidates for your search. This can be helpful in narrowing down your search in the inevitable event that you become overwhelmed.

Based on this information, I would suggest Yekutiel at ID Jewelry, Always helpful. Good luck and I hope you find the earrings you're looking for!

kazper

Rough_Rock
Figured I should probably update this thread to close it out.

I ended up going with Blue Nile for the following reasons:

I purchased a second pair of earrings through Adiamor and had that order cancelled as well. While I appreciate them not selling subpar quality diamonds, it is extremely annoying that they list them and then won't actually sell them. The sales staff were quick to recommend others I could buy, usually higher priced and smaller, but there was no guarantee the ones they recommended wouldn't be rejected by their diamond cutter. Bait and switch perhaps? I gave up on them.

With Clarity dropped out of the running after the whole covid crisis when they stopped responding to my inquiries. I realize they're a smaller operation, so I'm guessing they were/are probably swamped and working at reduced capacity.

Yadav- no major change on my initial thoughts. Their diamonds seem to be well priced (about 400 for each .4 ex si1 diamond), but their setting was almost $100 more than every other place and they weren't willing to reduce it.

ID jewelry (Yekuteil)- extremely responsive and helpful. The best he could do was an excellent pair of .68 si1 i or j diamonds (I forget which) for my price tag.

The blue nile diamonds I eventually selected were .76, ex, si1, i color.

Blue Nile was surprisingly hands off in the process. Other than the initial email and a follow up email saying when my order would be shipped/delivered, I didn't receive a follow up phone call which seemed odd. I think a call around the time of shipping would have been nice, especially since shipping companies are now leaving packages on doorsteps even if they previously required signatures. Blue Nile had a warning that if the package is left and someone swipes it, they are not responsible for the loss. While I understand why it didn't sit right with me especially if they aren't reaching out to remind customers of that fact when their purchase will soon be en route. Luckily we're stuck at home most of the day by choice, so I grabbed the box seconds after it was left.

The diamond earrings turned out perfectly. Maybe at some point I'll post a picture here for others to see... that is, if my wife will take them off long enough for me to do that :)

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
If you don't mind lab diamonds, you can definitely find diamond earrings for 1k.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’d love to see the pictures when you have a chance. Congratulations on the new earrings!

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your post! I'll be using your post to shop for a pair of diamond studs for my best friend.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results