shape
carat
color
clarity

exercise and working in retail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

golden

Shiny_Rock
hey!! how are you? I work in retail and I am on my feet 8 hours a day either standing or walking around. Obviously I am not walking to get my heart rate going, but I don''t even want to think of working out when I get home or even before I go to work because I am on my feet for so many hours and they hurt enough as it is! but of course I should be exercisng for my heart and health. Do you think I am burning enough calories to be losing weight/losing inches along with healthy eating? I am going to wear my pedometer tomorrow and see how many steps I take at work.
Thank you!

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
The fitness people always recommend at least 30 minutes of activity at least 3 days a week so I imagine that you''re taking enough steps because you must be walking around at work. Did you try the pedometer? Maybe you can squeeze in some time in the gym on the weekends.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I always thought it was 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity, like speedwalking - at a minimum. The overall benefit is when you increase your heart rate while working out. I''m not an expert by any means, but from what I know, walking and being on your feet at work are definitely burning calories and certainly won''t hurt your chances of seeing results, the benefits to your heart and lungs from moderate intensity activities won''t be there. That''s why cardio is important, and getting your heart rate elevated.

golden

Shiny_Rock
I have been sick, but still working, but will put my pedometer on when I go back to work tomorrow!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Could you try something where you''re not on your feet for exercise, like biking or swimming? I feel your pain - I''m in a lab, so many days I''m on my feet most of the day.

Also, important to note that if weight loss is your goal, 90% of that is from diet, not exercise, so you''ll need to track there and not the exercise as much if that''s your main focus.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I am on my feet all day long as well. Sadly, I don''t think that contributes at all to my physical fitness or weight loss. You could probablay loose weight without working out if you were very strict with your diet but that isn''t really a fun way to live. One thing I will say is that when I am tired and my feet are sore I go to the gym and get started and get an energy burst.

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
The pedometer is a good way to start being mindful of your body, but additional activity will be needed for weight loss. I used to work produce for a big grocery store, and as well as doing a TON of walking every day, I was stocking really heavy boxes of food. I''d be moving 40 lbs of fresh cabbage at a time and such, phew! I wore a pedometer during that time, and I once logged 40,000 steps over three days during a busy 4th of July weekend at that store. The physical work combined with the amount of walking and regular horseback riding helped me maintain my weight without dieting. If I had wanted to lose weight, I would have needed to adjust my eating AND add more focused exercise into my day.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
When I used to be a restaurant server I had 8hr shifts and my feet/legs were so sore and tired after!!

I forced myself to go to the gym on my way home instead of later in the evening and I mostly just lifted weights. I figured I got enough walking in at work so didn''t really do cardio, only if I had energy to after the weights.

It might be a bit different in a retail store though (less walking I imagine). I think if you change your diet you will lose weight without adding exercise, it would just speed up the process and you would be even healthier if you did.
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Sadly, the time we spend on our feet while working doesn''t account for exercise. I run after children all day, and would love to be able to call it a day of exercise done, but it doesn''t work that way. I''d find exercise, such as swimming that was suggested by another poster, if you''re hurting at the end of the day, or try to exercise first thing in the morning.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
While you do spend more calories standing than sitting, it''s not enough to count for "exercise" that would contribute to a healthier heart and body. You may burn enough calories to get a few pounds off (especially if you''re eating fewer, healthier calories) - it will just take longer. To lose pounds, you must burn more than you consume, simply put.

To reap the benefits for your heart and body, you''ll need to do something that is actually getting your heart rate up a bit more. The heart is a muscle and needs to be worked if you want it to be strong and efficient.

When I work, I''m on my feet all day too. Sometimes it helps to go STRAIGHT to the gym or go for a walk right after work (before you can even sit down and take off your shoes). By doing this, you may also strengthen your legs, and then you may not be as tired from a full day- after a while. It takes some will power, but it''s worth it in the long run!!

Or, with the pedometer, set a goal for a certain amount of steps per day. Those you clock at work can count towards the goal. Then, just walk after work until you reach your goal for the day.

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 9:19:37 AM
Author: emeraldlover1
I am on my feet all day long as well. Sadly, I don''t think that contributes at all to my physical fitness or weight loss. You could probablay loose weight without working out if you were very strict with your diet but that isn''t really a fun way to live. One thing I will say is that when I am tired and my feet are sore I go to the gym and get started and get an energy burst.

Ditto to this. I used to work retail before moving to be closer to my fiance and I actually went to the gym every single day then. I found that if I went before work (on days that I worked at 12) then I had loads of extra energy while at work and my feet didn''t hurt any more than usual. I also found that if I went to the gym after work (days I worked at 8 am) that I was looking forward to that workout all day. I made sure to join a gym that I drove past on my way to and from work so that I was more motivated. It really worked for me and I usually hate the gym. I found that even if I went for 20 minutes and stretched/did an ab workout, I just felt really proud of myself for going. A lot of times just getting to the gym is the hardest part.

Also, I don''t think that you will get enough exercise walking around even if you do work retail- the pedometer idea is a great one to see how many steps you are getting in each day.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 10:30:32 PM
Author:golden
hey!! how are you? I work in retail and I am on my feet 8 hours a day either standing or walking around. Obviously I am not walking to get my heart rate going, but I don''t even want to think of working out when I get home or even before I go to work because I am on my feet for so many hours and they hurt enough as it is! but of course I should be exercisng for my heart and health. Do you think I am burning enough calories to be losing weight/losing inches along with healthy eating? I am going to wear my pedometer tomorrow and see how many steps I take at work.

Thank you!
Oh you sound just like me!

I''ve worked in a restaurant for the last 5 years and sadly my weight has gone up, not down as you expect that it should after so many hours of running around. I was having the same problems getting motivated to exercise at the end of the day. While I was getting ready for my wedding it was easier - I just had to picture myself in my dress and that got me motivated, but since the wedding I just can''t bring myself to do it!

But I started working out before work a little while ago and I am loving it! I''ve already lost 4 pounds and I have more energy throughout the day. It''s not always easy since my shift starts at 6am most days but the payoff is just so rewarding! I also cancelled my gym membership, put the money I''d normally pay for that into a savings account and after only a couple months had enough to buy an elliptical machine. So now in the morning I wake up, work out, shower and head to work. It kick starts my day and helps me feel good! It''s also helping me eat healthier because knowing I''ve already put time and energy into my health that day makes me less inclined to cave in and eat sweets.

Over the years I''ve had many food journals and I''ve tried counting calories. It''s pretty easy if you go out for fast food or buy prepared meals - just look at the label, but I love to cook and I have no idea how many calories are in the meals I prepare! I read about Livestrong.com recently and have been using it to track my meals and calories and it''s revolutionized the way I used to journal my food. If only I''d found this 4 years ago when I started putting on weight!

Good luck on your weight loss, it''s not an easy thing to do - but once you get into the habit you''ll find it''s so rewarding!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Wear a pedometer to work. If you walk 2mph you''d burn about 80 calories a mile (depending on your weight) or about 160 calories an hour.. this is light walking. Standing and sitting burn about 80 calories for the entire hour... whether you are standing still or sitting still.. you burn the same amount of calories. However since your bottom is wider than your feet and covers more surface area than your feet (plus it also depends on the type of shoes you wear to work)-- that is why feet will hurt MORE than your bottom. However if you sit incorectly, your back can have issues.

So.. the trick isn''t whether you are sitting or standing... it is whether you are walking around.

A mile is 63,360 inches. An average step is about 24-34 inches - depending on your own stride... so every 2640-1864 steps you''ve burned 80 calores. By walking around - vs sitting you could burn an additional 80 calories an hour.. or an extra 640 calories more than you would by just standing still in the course of a work day. The only way you''ll know for sure.. is to get a pedometer.

Best wishes!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m on my feet all day long, too. (I teach high school.) I also run from one end of our school to the other between *each* class period because I''m split up into two different classrooms, and--you guessed it--my schedule has me bouncing back and forth every.single.period. (I''m still not sure which counselor I wronged to get a schedule like this . . . )

Anyway, I actually gain weight if I don''t work out, despite all my running back and forth. (It actually amounts to 20 minutes worth of actual running, because I spend four five-minute passing periods, and I have to sprint the entire time to make it by the bell.)

The best thing you can do is get into the habit of gong to the gym *right* after work a few days a week. If you find a workout buddy who will hold you accountable for working out, all the better!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results